• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pompic

Today I've discovered that there is at least one intersection that was possible in previous NAM versions that isn't available in the latest versions. It's the diagonal avenue splitting into an othogonal and diagonal OWR intersection. I tried making this intersection and couldn't do it, so I checked an old city of mine to make sure if it wasn't just me imagining all of this but no, I was right, here is the intersection in all of its glory:

The picture at the right show what happened when I tried rebuilding the intersection with the January 2008 NAM: it just won't let me rebuild it. To make sure it wasn't a problem on my part, I moved all my other plugins including the SAM and rural highway elsewhere, keeping only the NAM core and still couldn't reproduce the intersection.

Fortunately, I've kept all the other previous NAM versions downloads. So I installed the June 2007 NAM and still came accross the same problem. Then I installed the December 2006 NAM and tadam:

I don't know if other intersections were cut from the current NAM, but you should check it out. I used to use extensively this intersection so I hope it'll get a fix soon. It's still possible for me to build it by moving the 2008 NAM and putting the 2006 NAM instead, then build it and finally move back the 2008 NAM but it's a very tedious process.

Thanks in advance.

Swamper77

The problem of the "cut intersection" with the avenue and oneway roads is due to the Oneway Arrows Reduction plugin in the current build of the NAM. They are working on a solution for this, which involves edits to the RULs. In the meantime, just temporarily remove the Oneway Arrows Reduction plugin that comes with the NAM.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Pompic

Quote from: Swamper77 on April 16, 2008, 09:22:20 PM
The problem of the "cut intersection" with the avenue and oneway roads is due to the Oneway Arrows Reduction plugin in the current build of the NAM. They are working on a solution for this, which involves edits to the RULs. In the meantime, just temporarily remove the Oneway Arrows Reduction plugin that comes with the NAM.

-Swamper

Thanks a lot. At least the intersection works with the no one-way arrow (at all) mod (not the reduced one) so it solves all my problems!

Andreas

As Swamper77 said, memo found the error and created a fix for it, so you'll get that intersection back in the next NAM release. :)
Andreas

SusanMarie1956

A while ago, the computer crashed and I thought it was a good time to clean up SC4 since it was a mess. This time, I kept it simple for a while only loading NAM and a few other key componanents. Now that things were running smoothly, I thought I would start adding new stuff.
I loaded CAM, now, I noticed the traffic on all RHW are moving half the speed of any other street/road. It's not only the cars, but trucks and buses as well. On normal streets/road, they are moving normally.
I could of sworn I saw an issue like this mentioned before, but can't find it.
Any ideas where I can find it? Or what may be the cause of this?

**Update**
Okay, found the problem. I uninstalled both CAM and NAM from the plugins. Reinstall them, but this time, installed CAM first, use Cleanital, then installed NAM. It is nice to see the vehicles go zooming down the freeways again.
-Susan Marie

Raindog

My game is crashing on me. Stopped playing my region as I got kicked out every 10 minutes or so. Removed most of my plugins but kept the NAM and some other stuff. Now I start a new region and see this little building here. Upon clicking I get kicked out of simcity again.

So let's remove this annoying thing and guess what. It does not want to be deleted.

(look mum, without zoning  ()what() )

I am using the june 2007 version together with the Jan 2008 update. Have replaced the traffic plugin for the one by JPlumbley.
The textures on the curved roads I found on the Stex: NAM_Smooth_Curve_Euro_Road_Texture.dat and added that to an old version of the euro streets-textures I am using: zzz1_NAM_eurotex.dat (together with zzz2, zzz3 and zzz4).
I am not entirely sure the problem is caused by the NAM but it sure looks like it.

Hopefully this problem looks familiar to one of you and we can find and remove the cause.
thanks in advance,
the Raindog

edit: Have removed the old euro-textures and replaced for the latest version just found on the lex. Let's see what happens.

Horn broken, watch for finger...

Raindog

Thanks Warrior, that did the trick. The mystery building has been removed.
Now to find out what's causing it.
Horn broken, watch for finger...

Anthony

()what() i just installed the new SAM and April 2008 NAM + NAM Essentials.

NAM folder

NAM plugins folder

after which i suddenly got traffic problems when there used to be none  &mmm

what did i do wrong?
is this because the cleanitol removed the installed NAM traffic simulator files?
any help on how to resolve this would be highly appreciated  :(

Tarkus

Anthony, you do have one of the NAM Traffic Simulators installed--that's what that "NetworkAddonMod_Traffic_Plugin_C_Standard.dat" is.  The question I would have would be what traffic simulator did you have installed before?  If you've changed Simulators, this can have an effect on congestion.

Also, jplumbley's Congestion Data View mod was incorporated into the April 2008 NAM, which changes the way in which the game assigns the coloration, so as to more accurately represent congestion.  That may have an impact as well.

(And thanks for posting pics of your problem and your NAM directories--that helps a lot! :thumbsup:)

-Alex (Tarkus)

jplumbley

Quote from: Anthony on April 24, 2008, 09:32:02 PM
()what() i just installed the new SAM and April 2008 NAM + NAM Essentials.

NAM folder

NAM plugins folder

after which i suddenly got traffic problems when there used to be none  &mmm

what did i do wrong?
is this because the cleanitol removed the installed NAM traffic simulator files?
any help on how to resolve this would be highly appreciated  :(

Please read the first post in the following thread about information on the Traffic Simulators (Traffic Plugins):

NAM Traffic Simulator Help

I have not updated the thread to include Traffic Simulators C, D, and E.  Traffic Simulator C is the vanilla Simulator that came with the game.  Traffic Simulator D is the old "better pathfinding" from the NAM.  Traffic Simulator E is the old "perfect pathfinding" from the NAM.  There are various versions for different capacities.

These were changed because through research, we found the Simulators that modified the Speeds and Maximum Commute Time values improperly could cause issues with your overall simulation of the game.  Simulators A and B were created with balanced calculations to keep the game working how it should be.

Now for your direct situation, you have installed the Standard Simulator that shipped with the game.  Meaning you probably have reduced the Capacities of your networks by installing this Plugin if you had an older NAM Plugin that changed the capacities.  So, your networks will have become over capacity by simply reducing the capacities with the installed Plugin.

There is also another minor but also major change with this NAM.  The Congestion Scale has been "fixed".  Basically, the Standard MAXIS Congestion Scale used to show your network Yellow at 200% Capacity, and wasnt fully Red until closer to 400% Capacity.  I have fixed it so that it starts turning Yellow around 90 to 130% Capacity and being fully Red around 250 to 270% Capacity.  The difference is, it now shows you when your network is begining to suffer the consequences of Congestion rather when it is already fully suffering the consequebces and it is nearly too late to fix it.

Every city in RL has traffic problems, why should your game show you green when your city is suffering the consequences of Congestion?
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Anthony

i had previously installed the perfect pathfinding traffic simulator so i guess the shift to another simulator caused the change in this particular city's traffic congestion :-[

i guess the best thing to do is to do some testing to determine what simulator will best suit my gameplay &Thk/(

Alex (Tarkus) & jplumbley: thanks a bunch  :thumbsup:

soulchaser

I'm new on this forum, but using the NAM for aeons....great work by the way....
ok...my problem:
i uninstalled the old nam and installed the new one....and several additions as the latest SAM and RHW....i opened an old region, and none of the starterpieces worked....the textures are all still there, but i can't build any new grids

Anyone any idea?

thanks for your help

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!

Diggis

Sounds like you might have an old NAM controller somewhere.  Check for any dat packed versions.

What happens when you try to plop an new starter piece?

Did you also install the new essentials files too?

soulchaser

as i understood the readme, the new essentials are already implemented in the basic NAM....

for plopping: the arrow keeps red all the time, i don't even get the chance to plop any of the starter pieces, whether RHW, nor SAM

will be searching for NAM controllers right now

Recently Iced

Diggis

soulchaser

i installed the new essentials now....but it's still not working...red arrows with the SAM-, RHW-, higher El-Rail-, GLR- and higher Mono-Rail-starterpieces....

thank you for your help so far

btw: i didn't find any lost/left controller files...

Recently Iced

Andreas

Quote from: Diggis on April 25, 2008, 04:52:19 AM
No you need the essentials file too.  Try that first.

No, you don't. ;) The most current NAM Essentials are also included in the NAM installer. But if there are red arrows, there's definitely an outdated controller hidden somewhere in the plugin folders. Try to remove everything from your plugins folder and only install the new NAM. Then it should work properly. Don't forget to change the plugins folder in the SC4 installation folder as well.
Andreas

soulchaser

so....finally found the old glr tram mod (incl. a controller) (i think you uploaded it at the stex ;)).....deleted it....still a red pointer
any other idea?
i'd like to avoid deleting the pluginfolder....it's about 2.2gb.....

Recently Iced