• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Lot Editor Error: "Failed to open SC4LOT file"

Started by Gayowulf, May 23, 2012, 02:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gayowulf

LONG VERSION

I'm trying to do something pretty simple: change the base texture of THESE fantastic retaining walls to match my sandstone sidewalks.

I've done it a million times (*cough* once or twice) before. Open the LE, find the lot, switch the texture, and save. Pretty easy, right?

LOLNOPE!

I click the "save" button and the lot editor gives me an error:

Failed to open SC4LOT file.

That's it. Not helpful in the slightest. Some notes:

• While I've used the LE to tweak existing lots before, I've always saved my own versions. Here, though, I want to modify the originals.
  • The originals are not datpacked. I found them in my plugins folder; they're all just plain ordinary sc4lot files.
  • I run SC4 (and the LE) in Linux, but I've never run into this error before. It's not the type of error I'd expect from Wine anyway, but I'm listing it here just in case.
As a workaround, I could create my own versions and just leave the originals alone. But I have three reasons for wanting to change the originals directly.

• My parks menu is full enough as it is, thanks!
  • There are over 20 of these, so making new ones will take longer.
  • Most importantly, I've already used a bunch of them in-game, and I don't want to have to go back and replace them all with the new ones!

TL;DR VERSION

What does it mean when the Lot Editor says "Failed to open SC4LOT file" when I try to save?
Goodness me, it's been a while.
Once upon a (very long) time (ago) I was working on Calidore: A Steampunk Experiment... maybe that will happen again someday.

If you're thinking I used to have a different name on here... I did. It still me!

NCGAIO

Changes made ​​by the Ilive_reader who has not reindexed the lot before saving is the most common cause of this message.

As in this case it is just use the batch editor to modify the texture help much if you could describe the exact procedure you're trying to accomplish. (Textures, lot, etc. ..?

This is another job well done although it is only Kazuki allotment since all the props and textures are dependencies.

Have you downloaded all?

thingfishs

I know this is an old topic, but it sums up my situation, hasn't been fully addressed, and appears prominently in google searches for this topic.

A lot that I've been working on and is in it's final stages pre-release, is suddenly presenting this error and so I can't add and save the final prop to the lot. Does anyone know how to deal with this issue? Can I use the LE in SC4PIM  to get around it? I was of the understanding that re-indexing and rebuilding of the directory was done automatically by Reader 0.9.3?

Thanks in advance.

thingfishs

Yet another blonde moment (and I am blonde btw... ;)) -  the problem was that old chestnut, multiple copies of the same file within the plugins folder making the LE s%$t itself.
So for anyone experiencing the same issue, double check to make sure there isn't a duplicate/earlier version of the file you're working on within your plugins folder,
cheers.