• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Banished!

Started by Mr_Maison, February 14, 2014, 05:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Maison

I would love to know what members in these forums think of the new city builder. Anyone here buying it?
http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/game/

http://www.banishedforum.com/

mrbisonm

I have been part of it (I mean that I have followed the development) ever since it started, some two years ago, I guess.

It looks excellent, minus a few minor details and seemingly very interesting to play, a sure-play for me, that's for sure. It will give me a break from SC4 just like The Settlers and Civ III have been.

There also might be some addons and maybe even some Mod possibilities. That surely is making "Banished" interesting.

A must have for dreamers like me. ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Mr_Maison

From what I'm reading, the developer is planning on making a mod kit after launch. That really did it for me.
http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/2014-02-05-questions-and-answers/

swordstalker2008

I will be buying it for sure.

Mr_Maison

Anyone here playing it. Got my copy Tuesday and I'm lovin it. The simulation is so deep you have to watch when children are born and people die. Luke did a great job with this one.  &apls

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this here. We finally got another city builder that's made with real city builders in mind and will be moddable.

mrbisonm

Quote from: Mr_Maison on February 20, 2014, 06:49:17 AM
Anyone here playing it.

Yap, since three days and having fun also.Still don't understand the workplay fully yet, but I surely will with time. Got a town of 34 and in its 5th year sofar, just having minor problems with food and wood here and then......

droric

I bought the game yesterday and have mixed feelings about it.  I am very interested in what the mod support looks like and if this could be modded into a true city builder.  I don't really consider it a city builder right now, more of a strategy game.  I have been having a lot of fun with it so far but after Googling how to properly gather food and such it seems the game may lack the depth to hold my attention.  It seems like it has potential but the building, resource and skill trees seem a bit sparse.  I am concerned I will run out of things to do in a few days like I did with Anno or SC2013. 

Either way I am not disappointed in my purchase as it was a reasonable price and I have already gotten 8-15 very enjoyable hours out of the game which is more than I can say for many $20 titles.  It is also incredible that Luke did this all himself with the exception of some of the music I believe.

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

catty

Quote from: droric on February 20, 2014, 07:50:21 AM
...It seems like it has potential but the building, resource and skill trees seem a bit sparse.  I am concerned I will run out of things to do in a few days like I did with Anno or SC2013....

Modding really seems to have taken off, and some of the SC4 Batters have started adding content for it

http://www.ill-tonkso.co.uk/

So far the list of mods I'm using for my MD are quite small (see 1st post)

http://www.city-builders.info/cb-discuss/village-of-windthorpe

and I would recommend the Llama Mod, except when they escape and spend the winter out with the deer

$%Grinno$%
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

swordstalker2008

Banished is currently the main game I play. I have been addicted since it came out and now with the new mods it is getting even better.

catty

Its my winding down at the end of the day game, currently playing Windthorpe (starting conditions was set to medium, see link in my last post), another village which had its starting conditions set to hard can't seem to get the population past fifty at the moment, and just for a challenge I've just started Map Seed: 517937420 which has an Island landing site I'm still trying to decide whether to play it as easy, medium or hard ... hard might make a good competition ... who can survive the Island   :D
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

swordstalker2008

If you havent played with the newest Colonial Charter mod, I would defiantly recommend it.

catty

I've looked at it a few times on this site

http://colonialcharter.com/

but as its the equivalent of adding the NAM to SC4 Deluxe I decided it wasn't something I wanted to try just yet plus it also looks like a couple of the Mods I'm already using aren't compatible with it so it would have to be started on a new map seed and I'm not quite ready to start any new villages.

-catty

mrbisonm

The Colonial Charter completely changes the game and adds a lot of new things to the game. I personnally love it.

Below is my old Downtown Center.......made with this Mod.

Fred

catty

Quote from: mrbisonm on January 27, 2015, 05:45:29 AM
...Below is my old Downtown Center.......made with this Mod....

&apls

I must admit its very very tempting ... I think once I've gone as far as I can with the three villages I'm currently playing it might be time for a change   

:thumbsup:

It was four villages, but this one (which was my first successful village) is no more

http://city-builders.info/cb-albums/item/210-dilwoodview-by-catty/group/22-banished

and this one is the one I'm doing a MD on

http://city-builders.info/cb-albums/item/218-village-of-windthorpe/group/22-banished

The other two villages I haven't bothered to take any pictures  of them   :(

The centre of Windthorpe

:)

swordstalker2008

One thing to note about the colonial charter mod is that it includes a bunch of other mods that you are probably using. What is everyone's highest population so far? I've reached 225 many times but always seem to struggle at that point.

catty

I got the population up to just under 500 in the village I'm doing as an MD, then sometime after year 30, I got an outbreak of scarlet fever which killed off quite a few, in turn as it was late summer not all the crops were brought in and so the survivors starting dying of starvation, before winter was over I was down to about 50 villagers not including the kids, it was a couple of years of struggling to balance the jobs around the village even now when I'm about ready to do the 50 year post in my MD I've still only got the population back up to about 150.

:(

mrbisonm

The last one I stopped at 4500 or so, it was starting to get really slow on my computer. Now, I do not really play much at this time, still working on the SC4 MFP1 set and on some Farming Simulator mods, but I have this little town of 220 that I am enjoying on some evenings without really forcing it to expand more, but more trying to make it look better and more real and cozy looking.

Fred

zimmie

wow, 4500, impressive. I tired of the game, even with all the great mods, but forced myself to go for a high population just for a goal. I surpassed my goal of 2000 and haven't played again since. The game slowed down to a crawl on the highest sim speeds but ran fine still in the first couple lower sim speeds.

Screenshot of my 2000+ population city.
http://i.imgur.com/iKMPuQN.jpg

mrbisonm

4500 is not really impressive, since there are 6000 and even 8000 and more out there. I have even seen a 10000 town of Banished somewhere, everything, mostly raw materials, was imported.
At 4500 I lost interest in playing the game, making it less controllable and less interesting to look at, sometimes even repetitive and it became to freakin slow and sometimes jammed on me for a few seconds/minutes, making it boring to play with.
So, these days I create smaller villages, max up to 1000, which play better on my computer, are more interesting to watch and look at and most important, I have all the control that I want over it. I like to play to make things realistic, which is more important than those challenges and making them bigger than others.
i like details, which look good and interesting. like this living space add-on that my villagers are building when having problems finding space. I also follow every individual,s family tree.

Fred

catty

I think I'm with Fred on this one, for me its about having a nice stable village with enough villagers to do all the jobs and have a reasonable numbers of labourers so if disease strikes or its a bad winter with a lot of deaths I'm not having to juggle people from job to job and that I've also got plenty of food supplies, so if I do take in nomads there is enough food to feed them and Inns to house them.

Does anyone here use Windows 8 with Banished and Steam, I don't but Jmouse does and she is having a bit of grief with ... not to sure what ... see over here  fixed   :)

http://www.city-builders.info/cb-groups/item/22-banished

PS: Fred I love those pictures and especially on your second to last picture there is a building on the bottom right hand corner sitting over some water it looks    :thumbsup: