• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Placing rails over existing road interseation

Started by neon, March 22, 2015, 11:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

Does anyone know, using NAM, how to place an elevated rail over existing road intersection? The high elevated rail doesn't work, won't install over the intersection, one I reach the intersection.
I have tried deleting the intersection, and then adding the elevated rail- but it won't let me add back the intersection once the high elevated rail is added. Looks like an either high rail or intersection. Hoping there is another option to the high elevated rail available in the NAM, but I think I have tried all options that make sense.

APSMS

The only thing high elevated rail (30m El-Rail) can do is cross networks orthogonally. Intersections (of other networks) can not be crossed by any network, as the games transit networks are -2 dimensional (elevation is a visual effect only) and a three-way intersection between two networks would require more code (and work) than it is worth.

You can use El-Rail over Road (which can have Intersections with roads underneath) if you're willing to alter your rail geometry a little.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

neon

Can you plz give me an idea of how to "alter my geometry a bit" to accommodate adding rails over my road intersection. I was hoping to take one main road that traverses the whole length of my city (naturally its congested and bus stops only help a bit) and place a railway on top. But of course, many roads intersect with this main length of roadway. I assume advice is to somehow swerve around the intersections?

APSMS

How about this?

or this:

You don't have to necessarily make the rail go directly over the intersection. Part of good city design is overcoming game limitations and making it look natural, so don't be afraid to modify your plans slightly to accommodate the game.

The next picture isn't the greatest, but it's more of a demonstration than a finished product. Obviously it needs more smoothing with the surroundings, but hopefully it gives you some ideas (note that interfacing with the El-Rail over AVE is done with the road tool, not the Avenue tool).
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation