• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simmer2

Thank you all for following me on this journey  &apls

You can now download the Hump Yard here http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3342

Willy, I did put a note in the tutorial about adding either a freight yard or another hump yard before the hump.  :thumbsup:

Simmer2/Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Tyberius06

That's amazing Simmer2/Nick!

Thank you very much for your hard work! And I'd like to thank all of your previous works, I love your sidings aswell!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Simmer2

Thank you Tyberius6

I'm now working on yet another new RRW concept.
Railheads get ready  ;)

Simmer2
________________________________________________________________________________

compdude787

Great to see that it is now released! It's pretty awesome!!
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

PaPa-J

Just got through browsing this entire thread.  I must say I am very impressed with your work.  Can't wait to get these into the game.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Simmer2

Thank you compdude787 and PaPa-J

There is more to come  :)

Simmer2

Simmer2

Guess what this is.....
The first word starts with "I" and ends with "L"  :D

Base is still in developing stage, very detailed overlay is next.

Cheers
Simmer2

Gugu3

OMG!Is that a freight yard with cranes?

Indiana Joe

Design's looking good!  I expect to see a lot of industrial (the magic word?) equipment on it soon.  Your new overlay texture look great too, they blend in great.

Looks like you're shortening the radius of a lot of curves.  I can understand, as it keeps the lot down to a reasonable size.  I scrapped the railyard system I had once nearly completed, because of Willy's advice--that the tight curves just aren't possible.  But then you end up with a really really big lot.  It's a trade-off and you have to decide where to draw the line.  I used a minimum radius of 64 meters when I made that initial overlay pack.  (Central Radius of 4 tiles when using the Radial Bending script in GIMP).

I would at least change those complicated 3-way switches coming off of the bottom right track.  That's not something that could be built in real life.

woodb3kmaster

Those textures have a very intermodal look to them...

With all the textures you've made so far, I'm wondering whether the right ones exist for me to design my own ~32x8 railyard, with the through tracks on one edge. I have a space that size in my seaport where I've been itching to build a railyard, and seeing all of your incredible lots has only whetted my appetite. Of course, an equally important question is whether such a small railyard is even realistic, but it's all the space I have available.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Indiana Joe

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on February 24, 2016, 10:36:15 PM
Those textures have a very intermodal look to them...

Ah, you've definitely got the magic word.

As for a 8x32 railyard.  Using my original modular system, with the branching rail at the same angle as FAR-3, it would take you 24 tiles to expand a one-sided railyard to be 8 tiles wide.  So it would be much more practical to only have 4 or 5 tiles wide of tracks.  You could still fill up the the rest of the space with parallel rail lines, other rail lots, or whatever, and it would look just fine I think.

For sake of concept, here's a PNG of a 8-tile wide railyard entrance (the entire height of the image is 32 tiles long):

http://i.imgur.com/WtDXFTr.png
1024x4096 pixels.  Warning--that's a big PNG! 

Simmer2

Yap. It is an Inter modal Terminal.

Joe perhaps this is better...

Swordmaster

Pretty good Nick. I don't know much about this type of yard. Any RL examples you have handy? I wonder how those exits are supposed to be tied up. I also agree you should avoid those threeway switches as often as you can. If you do include them, you should also increase the cost of your lot :D

As for Matt's remark on turnouts. . . Tight curves are possible, but are they desirable? For this lot, I think it's pretty much up to what Nick wants to do with it. However, for a modular railyard system that's supposed to be compatible with American mainline engines, other rules apply. Here's a CSX spec doc for those interested in the details. Amongst other things, it kind of proves what I've been saying that a standard switch (No. 10) should occupy at least two tiles (116 feet to be precise, see page 7).

Cheers
Willy

Bipin

This looks great. However, I'd recommend using MGB's latest industrial road textures. I think they'd look great with the concrete you already have here, they're a bit worn, like the tracks, and some continuity between textures would look good. His textures were based on my own:

Keep up the great work though!

Simmer2

Hi Derek.
I chose those road textures because they are 1 full tile wide. Only 18 wheelers, 2 side by side, will be going through this lot.
Also this Intermodal Terminal is base on a brand new one just built a little while ago, so road aging is not permitted  :D

The road textures on your pic fit that decayed environment very well though  &apls
Is that reoccurring line intentional?

Nick

Simmer2

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 25, 2016, 07:56:27 AM
Pretty good Nick. I don't know much about this type of yard. Any RL examples you have handy? I wonder how those exits are supposed to be tied up. I also agree you should avoid those threeway switches as often as you can. If you do include them, you should also increase the cost of your lot :D

As for Matt's remark on turnouts. . . Tight curves are possible, but are they desirable? For this lot, I think it's pretty much up to what Nick wants to do with it. However, for a modular railyard system that's supposed to be compatible with American mainline engines, other rules apply. Here's a CSX spec doc for those interested in the details. Amongst other things, it kind of proves what I've been saying that a standard switch (No. 10) should occupy at least two tiles (116 feet to be precise, see page 7).

Cheers
Willy

Yes Willy, my design mimics Joliet Intermodal Terminal.

Swordmaster

Impressive. Almost 2.5km in length--that's only 150 tiles :D

Any chance you can turn this into a modular lot so users can decide how long they make it? If the cars fit exactly on a certain lot width, they could be made to look like single trains on several of these next to each other, bookended by exit lots.

Cheers
Willy

c.p.

Looks like an ambitious project  &apls

I'd have to agree with Bipin, I think, at least as far as "aging" the textures a little.  (Though you're probably not done with the textures, so maybe that's a premature comment to make.)

Anyway, keep up the great work :thumbsup:

Simmer2

Uhmm...I might be able to make it modular. The slight offset on the 2 left exit/entry rails is unavoidable due to the road width coupled with the tight foot print of the cranes I will be using.
BUT....a lateral split point is possible. What you see at the moment is 26X14 and I was going to add another lot for the warehouses below it.
Let me mull over this.

Simmer2

So...

This is a prototype, I would say 80% done. Still need to make the parking overlay and another lot for the warehouses.
Also making a huge timed prop file.