• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Great work with the hump yard release!  &apls

As for your latest work: the road and concrete textures are still awfully clean, and the yellow too saturated. In addition the water textures looks slightly pixelated to me, like it's been scaled up from an original. Both issues are particularly evident in this picture and it doesn't mesh well together in my eyes.

That being said, I know it's a wip and your standards are immaculate so I'm confident this lot will turn out superb. And if it'd be modular, well, that'd be icing on the cake!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Vizoria

<licks lips> I agree with Vortext here. The road and concrete textures look clean and too uniform, but I am sure you can dirty them up and make them look less like fresh paint!

Simmer2

Thanks guys!

Complete texture overhaul just for this project (520 tiles)
Just a little teaser.......

________________________________________________________________________________

c.p.

Nice :thumbsup:  The updated textures look tremendously better, IMO

belfastsocrates

That looks excellent, the revised concrete texture is very good. I'd happily use that for other industrial areas as well.

Normally, in my quest for a UK style, I'd not be keen on the yellow road lane markings but as this is a pretty unique and standalone site I'd be happy to use with the yellow.

I may have to start planning my deep water container port and distribution hub shortly to make use of this fantastic lot!
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Simmer2

Thank you c.p. and belfastsocrates

You will also be glad to know that I'm making the whole thing, modular  ;)

Simmer2/ Nick

PS.  MushyMushy if you are reading this, I'm sure you recognize those trucks....they are amazing  &apls
________________________________________________________________________________

Indiana Joe

Alright, that newly textured look is some of the best SC4 lot work ever.  This is going to be an awesome lot.   &apls

Some final detail notes:  in the U.S. at least, a double yellow line always separates traffic lanes going in opposite directions.  This is generally true throughout the world as well (as long as the double yellow line is in the middle of the road), from what my research has found.

If the lanes are going in the same direction as you've indicated with arrows, that should be a white line down the middle.  If you want to indicate that trucks are not allowed to change lanes, the line should be solid rather than dashed.  This would also make the lot look better for Euro users.  Two birds, you know.  :thumbsup:

And also make sure to weather those yellow chevron patterns to match the new textures.  Again, the overall new look is killer!   &apls

Simmer2

Quote from: Indiana Joe on March 02, 2016, 01:45:03 AM
Alright, that newly textured look is some of the best SC4 lot work ever.  This is going to be an awesome lot.   &apls

Some final detail notes:  in the U.S. at least, a double yellow line always separates traffic lanes going in opposite directions.  This is generally true throughout the world as well (as long as the double yellow line is in the middle of the road), from what my research has found.

If the lanes are going in the same direction as you've indicated with arrows, that should be a white line down the middle.  If you want to indicate that trucks are not allowed to change lanes, the line should be solid rather than dashed.  This would also make the lot look better for Euro users.  Two birds, you know.  :thumbsup:

And also make sure to weather those yellow chevron patterns to match the new textures.  Again, the overall new look is killer!   &apls

Yup, I agree with those changes.
I will change the double yellow middle lines with a dotted single white and rough up the yellow hazard and the new lines.

Nick

kelis

Man... it is really sad that I don't feel good using the RRW in my Japanese region because I really would like to use your lots... the new railyard is really really reeeeally nicee. I love it and definitely I will try to create my own lot when it is available, it is perfect for port zones...

Keep up the good work and thanks  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Simmer2

Hi Kelis
Lets hope that perhaps you will consider switching to RRW so you can enjoy my creations. :thumbsup:

Well, here is the Euro version. Hope everyone likes it.
Please disregard the prop placement or lack thereof. It is not fully populated yet. Still working on the huge timed prop files I'm making just for this project.
This is just a quick test run to show the new textures.

Pond1

art128

Really nice work on the recent development!
I just hope you won't put American trucks for the European version.... :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

mgb204

I'll let you into a little secret... I was planning to mod the road textures on this one, but now I don't have to, that's perfect for me :D. This gets better and better.

MushyMushy

This is looking really good!

Art does have a point about the trucks for the Euro version. I would shamelessly self-advertise my Euro trucks, but they aren't done...
I personally would recommend using this set of Euro trucks by SimCityFreak for the Euro version of the yard: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/25607-european-truck-prop-pack-vol-1/
From my experience it's a pretty good set with a decent number of angles.

Simmer2

@Art128 Ah no! The beauty about those road markings is that they are used here in Canada as well (North America) therefore winwin!!

@ MushyMushy.

I'm already using those in the lot ...BUT there is only 5 usable euro trucks in that pack for this project.
Furthermore, they are a bit too big in size. (the ones on the roll-ons are the proper size). Also there are no separate trailers in that pack.
Your trucks & trailers packs are perfect for this lot therefore I will not change them.

@mgb204 Robin, I'm glad you like them :)

Nick

Tyberius06

Wow!
It's very nice. I can see it in my next seaport area.  :bnn: :popcorn: &apls &apls &apls
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

dyoungyn

Looks AWESOME.  Only one item of complaint, in one pix you show, the trucks along the rails are all going in the same direction.  Shouldn't they be going in opposite directions from each side of the tracks?

Simmer2

Quote from: Tyberius06 on March 03, 2016, 03:02:15 PM
Wow!
It's very nice. I can see it in my next seaport area.  :bnn: :popcorn: &apls &apls &apls

Thank you!

Quote from: dyoungyn on March 03, 2016, 03:24:32 PM
Looks AWESOME.  Only one item of complaint, in one pix you show, the trucks along the rails are all going in the same direction.  Shouldn't they be going in opposite directions from each side of the tracks?

That is intended. Trucks can only go in one direction in these type of terminals.
Look here.

Oh and things are proceeding fast now.

One more

noahclem

Great work  &apls  Had one of those moments where I thought your pic from the game was a RL one at first with the first SC4 one in the last post :D

That said, it looks like your truck lanes are almost twice as wide as they should be. In your last RL picture each rail track actually takes up a bit more space than the truck lanes but in the SC4 pic each truck lane has room for a set of dual tracks in it. I'd recommend doing them between 4-5m, with RHW width probably being optimal  :thumbsup:

Simmer2

Quote from: noahclem on March 04, 2016, 08:11:45 AM
Great work  &apls  Had one of those moments where I thought your pic from the game was a RL one at first with the first SC4 one in the last post :D

That said, it looks like your truck lanes are almost twice as wide as they should be. In your last RL picture each rail track actually takes up a bit more space than the truck lanes but in the SC4 pic each truck lane has room for a set of dual tracks in it. I'd recommend doing them between 4-5m, with RHW width probably being optimal  :thumbsup:

Hi.
Sorry cannot find these type of cranes wide enough to straddle the width you mention :( This setup is now final.

Nick

PS I'm also in the process of creating an entire network of these roads as a separate overlay pack for future lotting and or NAM SAMs if anyone is so inclined to use them.

Vizoria

Simmer2: You are a lotting genius!

&apls &apls &apls