• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Norton Blocking Site Based on False Positive (May 2017) [ALL CLEAR]

Started by Tarkus, May 16, 2017, 10:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Those of you using Symantec's Norton family of products (as I do) may have experienced difficulties accessing/using SC4 Devotion of late.  It seems that recent changes in Norton's definition for the generic "Trojan.Gen.2" have flagged tag_one's Mall of Justa and MAS71's JPN Sunken Parks on the LEX--files that have existed here with no change and no issue for 8 and 10 years, respectively--and SafeWeb has blacklisted the site as a result.

If you are using Norton Security, Norton 360, or another Norton product, you can still get onto the site without disabling your security software, by clicking the "visit this webpage anyway" link at the bottom of the warning message.  Please note that this message's does interfere somewhat with normal login and posting activity, but with patience and occasional judicious use of the back button, it is still possible to use the site.

The site staff is aware of the issues, and rest assured that we are doing everything in our power to clear the false positive reports, and to ensure that SC4 Devotion continues to remain a safe and secure site for all members to enjoy.  We apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

-Alex

Tarkus

Also, a little tip I thought I'd share here--it's possible to get rid of the "page blocked" warnings without disabling the rest of Norton, simply by disabling the "Norton Security Toolbar" extension in your browser.  In Firefox, you can click the little extended menu from the three lines at the upper right corner of the screen, go to "Addons", then "Extensions", and you'll find it there.

-Alex

Kitsune

Is the site still hosted on host gator ? They are known to sometimes purposefully infect large websites to get them to buy an addon.
~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

While the evidence does not suggest a purposeful infection, even my cursory research into our webhost has indeed come up with some pretty alarming stuff with respect to their handling false positives.  I appreciate the heads up, and will bring this to our staff and Jeronij for further discussion.

While I'd like to see Symantec do the right thing, admit they screwed up with their definitions and exonerate us on SafeWeb, I do have a "Plan B" (installer-less versions of the two files) at the ready.

-Alex

Tarkus

An update here--it appears that as of sometime this morning, Symantec cleared out the false positives on the two files, so we are no longer blacklisted.  Thank you all for your patience and support during this situation.

-Alex