• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Fantozzi's Lotting Adventures

Started by fantozzi, March 01, 2018, 06:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matias93

Fantozzi, Tibi, what about merging your projects? They are basically a complement to reach other right now, and you will surely the same set of props and textures, aside from some duplicate modular pieces that could work on both. You can reduce the workload that way, and to create a sort of standard for water transportation, easing the choose of a mod for new players.

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

fantozzi

Tibi is always welcome to suggest props and stuff. I downloaded already some vans from the 3D warehouse to add them to this pack.

But, I'm afraid the Heretic Seaport Project and the RDE have not much in common to be thrown together. I'd be glad to assist on Heretic Seaport Project if I can be of any help - put it is to build modern container/freight port - those big transit sites where complete containers switch from water to rail and road.

To find the RD port you have still to move fifty miles upstream, where f.e. the Mersey river is half as deep and the old dock of Liverpool is - best times where 100 years ago, the big ships even can't get here and the business is smaller and everything picks up rust. That is the world of the RDE: to create inland ports with dozends of corners along the river banks where the CDK-3 puzzle pieces are too big.

To me, personally, the CDK-3 stuff was pretty mixed old style and modern style harbours, the warehouses don't fit container ports. It's a little bit modern ports with most of the busy work done by robots and those older, laid-back harbour parts, dealing with bits and pieces and scrap metal. RDE is for the laid back old skool harbor. There is not a single container lot in the RDE.

AND - I wanted to promote the Doc Rohrlach stuff explicit. I dedicated the RDE to him and I really would feel bad to drop his layout/scheme now.

The RDE is some kind of a niche product. I don't think it is a good idea to mix it into something so big and universal as the HS.

And sadly - most probably I won't have the time to work on the Heretc Seaport. But I'd like to do the car transfer dockt f.e. I'd like to bring it to the HS - it fits the HS better than the RDE imho. If I'm allowed I could do some lots for the HS.

From my personal view, the HS would need a more modern look. The pegasus warehouses look a bit wrong for a modern container port.

In sum one could say, thanks to the new props from SM2 the HS could shape profile this way:

And the RDE could shape profile this way:

On the RDE are only mid sized ships and river barges. That's what I would like to do regarding the RDE. Making it more the old style/midsized inland port with old business like coal and gravel and cement but no containers and plush elephants from china - because the big business is running on the new port at the estuary of the river where ships has tripled their size.

;D EDIT ;D

To sum up: I think not about throwing both mods together, but we could plan both projects together - we could discuss what kind of lots for the heretic seaport project what for the rural docklands. I have some pretty cool ideas for the HS.

For example I have this container hoist model:

Which I want to turn into a timed prop to do action like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lpgL7d1eL8

But for train. So with AngryMozarts props this should fit peerfectly to the HS - what do you think Tiberius?

fantozzi

Maybe I should mention ...

;D

Simmer2

Great project!  &apls

Don't forget that I already made a couple of container cranes just for this purpose. I'm hoping to have some time over the holidays to make a couple of port lots as well.
They are in my prop packs, use them. I also made some reach stackers. You can see one at the bottom right on the last pic

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

fantozzi

Quote from: Simmer2 on November 28, 2018, 10:44:14 AM
Great project!  &apls

Don't forget that I already made a couple of container cranes just for this purpose. I'm hoping to have some time over the holidays to make a couple of port lots as well.
They are in my prop packs, use them.

The hare and the hedgehog. It's like Simmer 2 unreeled the carpet for us already, Tiberius. We just have to walk along.  :D

Simmer2

Verzeihen Sie, ich meinte keine Respektlosigkeit, ich weise nur darauf hin, dass Sie Zeit sparen können, indem Sie einige der bereits von mir veröffentlichten Assets verwenden und alle neuen Inhalte in kürzerer Zeit erstellen.  ;)

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

fantozzi

Quote from: Simmer2 on November 28, 2018, 01:29:55 PM
Verzeihen Sie, ich meinte keine Respektlosigkeit, ich weise nur darauf hin, dass Sie Zeit sparen können, indem Sie einige der bereits von mir veröffentlichten Assets verwenden und alle neuen Inhalte in kürzerer Zeit erstellen.  ;)

Nick

Why the hell everybody is talking german today? But no, no, no Simmer2, you are absolutely right to point me in the right direction. Your comment was helpfull. Don't stop this. Please do correct me. It would be much, much, much worse you stayed silent.

"Respektlosigkeit"? My translation tool tells me you mean "disrespect"? are you joking? What you did for the community demands respect! If you would say today: "Fantozzi, show some respect!" - you know, I would agree. How can you be disrespectfull against me? I don't understand this sentence. I owe you respect. And you are right. Absolutely right.

Simmer2

hahahaha! I looked at your flag and thought you knew the German language! My bad.

Here is the English version before others try to Google translate the phrase into something that is not  :D (God forbid it may be interpreted as a declaration of war or a trollish love poem  ::))

"Forgive me, I did not mean any disrespect, I'm merely pointing out that you can save time by using some of the assets already published by me and create all new content in a shorter time frame."

Cheers

Nick

romualdillo

Quote from: Simmer2 on November 28, 2018, 02:08:25 PM
hahahaha! I looked at your flag and thought you knew the German language! My bad.

Same by me! Entschuldigen Sie bitte mir!  :P

mattb325

Quote from: fantozzi on November 27, 2018, 10:39:17 PM
So! I don't like the foundatons of all the fountains I made so far. Because of the stone and brick textures I used, they look so blurry. I will redo them with simple concrete:

I think I've posted this elsewhere (I already had the pics in my imgur account, so I must have!) If you ever find that the materials are blurry in gmax, know that the default in the material editor is set to blur = 1.0. That is usually the best setting for 95% of the textures, but you can change that for each bit map if one looks too blurry. The reason for blurriness on some textures and not others comes down to the type and size of the image that you are using. In SD it is almost imperceptible, but I suspect that those of you who render in HD will need to pay close attention to each map used.

This is the default gmax setting:

You can change it to this. See how much sharper the bricks look:

This will hopefully help with some of the 'massaging' that poor old gmax needs to work  :)

fantozzi

Thank you Matt! I'll have to try immediatly if I can get certain elements on the fountain sharper.

#######################################################
To avoid confusion: I'm german. My father was italian, born in Rome. My mother ... that's a little complicated. Her first document said:"coequal to german." This was a speciality of the Nazis. She is born in Teplice - that's czech, but by the time she was born there the land was german. The parents of my mother came from austria. Spring of 1944 she was banished with her family -I think that was the time she became german. The Czech administration thought they are germans, because they were speaking german and her father working for the Nazi gouvernement, so they didn't care much about they were austrians.

So I'm german by chance. My brother for example was italian. He was born in Rome.
And now the fun part He was baptized in the papal archbasilica of St. John in Lateran. That's the church the plaza has its name from were the obelisk stands (see previous page). And now guess what: this is exactly the plaza from where the boulevard Via Appia starts. And - look how's true all roads leading to Rome! – I'm BACK ON TOPIC! Hurrah!   ()stsfd()

fantozzi

Did you know ...

... oh, wrong thread but anyway ...

... did you know there is a
Tiberian Island

in Rome?

And on this island lives Tibi!

No, untrue. But on this island is a church and in front of this church is a plaza and on this plaza is a monument dedicated to Saint Bartholomew.

Saint Bartholomew was one of the twelve apostles. His martyrdom begann 9/11. He was flayed.

From left to right, The "Servant Fountain" (fictional), The "Fountain", the "St. Bartholomew's Monument" and the "Vigiliant Bird Fountain" (fictional).

fantozzi

-

MONUMENTUM
[/font][/size]
Dominatus Maximus Maior Fantozzicus

Sadly I have to scale it down to fit the Via Appia project (max. 2 tiles deep).

mattb325

Very nice. St Bartholemews looks brilliant  ;)

The Mayor statue certainly does dominate!  :D

Edit: there is a pigeon effect prop that you could use in the LE. It would be funny to see them hovering over the vigilant bird statue  &idea

fantozzi

So sad, that I had to rescale the monument for despot major Fantozzi. A big despot requires a big monument in my opinion.

Ah, and by the way, that's the Thompson Mausoleum next to the Despot Fantozzy monument. Located in York, Engand.

Very sad story. Henry Thompson builded it to be a familiy mausoleum, 55 years old, thinking he would be the first resident there. Instead it was his own daughter who died soon after the mausoleum was completed in 1742. He himself became 92 years old and vistied his daughter each day in this mausoleum build in old hellenistic style, I guess.

mattb325

It is still very dominating even if it as been scaled down  ;)

If I can some batting tips for this model (which I really like), I would thin the two top semi-circle arcs in both thickness and width.
The bottom one on top of the columns looks to be about 1.2m thick: I would take this to 0.6/0.7m; the top arc looks to be 0.5; I would make this no thicker than 0.3m and make it no wider that the circular base on which the scales of justice monument rests. The stone behind the despot similarly can be thinned by approximately 50% and will give a much more elegant result while still maintaining the heavy-set, dominating presence.  :thumbsup:

fantozzi

Thank you, Matt. I'll try this. Also Thompson Mausoleum needs a socket I think, otherwise it looks somewhat incomplete.

Sadly those days before christmas becoming stressfull and while certain people demand to have certain project finished before christmas (why is christmas such a popular closing date even for things completely unrelated to christmas?) also my old mother wants me to drive her here and there because she has a lot of purchases to resolve. ("Mother why don't you get Internet!" "Because I don't need it, son." - Shure she don't need if she has her own chauffeur!).

Well, yesterday - when driving my mother around, I saw this street clock, I think it's a replica form early 20. century, not shure:

I'd like to add some streetclocks of this kind. Don't know, if I can do them. I'll have to try.

So sorry, if there are (most probably) no new updates before christmas. I'm still here. And I will continue. At my age SC4 is much more pleasant than sex. A game that doesn't raise your blood preassure and cause lumbage. There's no reason for me to run away. Else from the question: "Darling, it's a while ago we last ..."

No, for real. At my age SC4 is like dad's garage. One of the last peacefull places on earth. You say "go fishing" or you say "go batting". Those are synonyms.

Therefore: I'll be back soon.

Tyberius06

Oh, really nice fountain and sculpture props, Fantozzi! These are really good additions. Really nice work!  &apls &apls
Keep up the good work!

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

mattb325

Quote from: fantozzi on December 14, 2018, 02:33:36 AM

....... At my age SC4 is like dad's garage. One of the last peacefull places on earth. You say "go fishing" or you say "go batting". Those are synonyms.

Lol, I guess it depends on who is the garage.....trouble follows me everywhere, even in the batting garage  :D :D

I love the idea of the street clocks. I'm sure you can pull it off  :thumbsup:

fantozzi

Still didn't resume my project.  :thumbsdown:

Want to tell a story instead. It could be some kind of postcard I'd like to send to city builders colleagues in the United States. With greetings from germany.

When you travel from the center towards the southern borders of my hometown, the city of Heidelberg, you may notice a lot of big gaps in the house building, even strange holes in the middle of urban cultivation, stripes of fallow land, where there's gras growing now.

You can see big mounds as if the city is plagued by a giant monster mole.

And the more you travel south the traces seems to be younger and you get closer to the mysterious force doing some large scale surgery on the face of the city of Heidelberg.

Not many people – and I have to believe neither Mr. Donald Trump nor Mr. Vladimir Putin are amongst them – seem to know what's going on there in my hometown these days, in the middle of Europe. Those gaps in the cultivation are gaps from cold war and the force making them is called peace. There's an entire village to be bulldozed ... to be cut out of the body of the city of Heidelberg and the present landscape. And it's no german village but an american village being destroyed.

I bet you didn't know that. Evil Germans are destryoing an entire american village in 2018/2019! This village was home of the 7th United States Army, solders, families, teachers, doctors and other kind of entourage. 7th US Army did cross rhine river in march 1945, freed the concentration camp of Dachau and kicked the Nazis out of southern germany. They made my home a free country and this is something never should be forgotten, even if there are growing blackberries and wild cherries now where they had home.

After WWII they settled at Heidelberg to protect the free world against the Soviet Union, serving at the Campbell Barracks, the european headquarter of the united stats army and hosting several NATO commands. But times changed and with disarment treaties, the fall of the iron curtain the ban of nuclear midrange missles, Chernobyl and Fukushima and all other new problems the fears changed and the believe grew this part of history would be irreversible. World would never again return back to cold war. Western World was conviced on this.

So between 2006 and 2014 piece by piece forces were reduced and the 7th US Army finally returned back home (after 60 years abroad!) and the land was given back to germany, the city of Heidelberg. On September 7th 2013 in a moving final retreat ceremony the american flag was pulled down for the last time in Campbell Barracks. The village became abandoned.

So for us, the citizens of Heidelberg, on this day cold war ended finally. In 2014 we eagerly started to tear down the old military barracks and plant something new, modern - supermarkets and apartment buildings. There is a bycicle shop now where they used to keep rifles and grenades.

But can you figure out how I feel currently? Everyday I pass those building sites where they burring cold war - and we aren't even finished, we are half the way done and those politic brains made from ferroconcrete start the whole thing anew. It feels grotesque. And I guess no one who moved in shortly ago in those brand new apartments wants to give them back immediatly again to make barracks from it again.