• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Fantozzi's Lotting Adventures

Started by fantozzi, March 01, 2018, 06:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fantozzi

Today I wanted to show to you my footbridge that is like a younger brother to Simmer2's pipe overpass. But like two teenage sisters eager to disturb the boys lazy hang out ...  %BUd% ... two palm trees had to grow quite in front of the footbridge: "look how beautiful we are! Why looking on those ugly yellow guys if we are in this room too? No one cares for them. Because now we are here."

So instead I can tell you about Rivit who offered his help with the overlay textures made from his famous tarsealed roads and to focus on this part of the picture instread. Now with Rivit and Simmer 2 supporting this project I feel a little bit pressure behind. The little sheep carried away by two giants. What if I change my mind tomorrow?  :slap: ? I guess now I have to finish this  &opr

Simmer2

fantozzi I wanted to draw your attention on the autocarriers you made. On the top picture you can see that your chemical tanks are clipping in to the autocarriers when you look at the them from that angle. The reason is because of those railings/signs? hanging on the side. They look to be a bit higher than the deck. Either remove them or lower them.
The deck has to be perfectly flat so that you won't get LODs clipping.

Btw I have an update on the project over on my thread.

Simmer2
________________________________________________________________________________

Simmer2

Fantozzi You got a PM :)

I also added a stainless steel Petroleum Distiller, shown here.

Now get to work  :D

Simmer2
________________________________________________________________________________

fantozzi

No Lamas at the visitors center!

It's naked and pure fun to play around with Simmer 2 props. It's like you plunge your head into a barrel filled with concentrated rainbow.

(Or maybe I'm already inhaled too much BASF air?)

Tyberius06

Hehe!

I totally agree! :) And the funny thing is, that it applies not just for industrial stuffs... His contribution on my GLR stations sets (btw the last set is still waiting for release) was essential. And all these recent industrial models and props are giving me the inspiration to return to the seaport set for a huge revisit.

Anyway. Pretty cools stuff what your are working on right now.  &apls &apls &apls

By the way, what happened with your previous project, where those statues and fountains and urban plaza props have been involved?

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

fantozzi

Quote from: Tyberius06 on March 28, 2019, 05:36:44 AM
By the way, what happened with your previous project, where those statues and fountains and urban plaza props have been involved?

- Tyberius

The question is legitimate. I didn't really want to talk about it but now, as you ask ... at a certain point I made bigger and bigger monuments and lost scope that I wanted to to do a pack with smaller street stuff for the "Via Appia Project", with the busses and the fountains. And then I had a long break with doing nothing (sadly this happens quite often but nothing serious).

Now the plan is - for the BASF project I'll do some of the the street stuff too, road signs, a few car props like the ambulance, the poles etc. Also in some other releases like the THW etc. there are some nice props. I'll put this all together abd make a MEGA STREET PROP PACK. But this will require much more time than initially thought.

You once wrote you miss some vans, Tibi. Didn't forget this. The BASF project isn't even a break from the other project. It's a stop over to collect even more street props.

I want to have this in the game. If no one shows interest, I'll do it myself with GMax. Even if it's a terrible waste of beauty.

Andreas

Looks like one needs to take the right lane for the lamas, but be sure to wear head protection (maybe they nibble on your ears?). Quick hint: For an entrance, the barriers should to be placed behind the gatekeeper's house. ;)
Andreas

fantozzi

This was easy to create. I took some exotic military vehicle and ripped of the machine gun. Next took some star wars fighter and ripped of the laser gun. I put the laser gun on top of the military car sawed the tips of the laser and painted everything red.

"It's pronounced Frankensteen, not Frankenstein."

Andreas

This is not so far away from the "Turbolöscher", you only need to rip out two MiG jet engines and mount them on the back of a heavy duty truck. ;)
Andreas

fantozzi

For our english readers: Andreas refers to some BASF engines doing the terrible and world wide dreaded "turbofarts" (hope translation is correct?).

Simmer2

What does it use as fuel? Garbanzo beans?  :D

Andreas

What is it that you always think about farts, are you doing some beans diet?  :D

Anyway, the purpose of this fire engine is to put out huge fires basically by blowing them out, spreading a mixture of air and water with an actual jet engine. Here's a short vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c26rOjIhBo
Andreas

fantozzi

Hard to believe some of those trucks simply melted down in the terrible accident in 2016 when 4 firefighters died, one after 11 months in hospital. In a chain reaction a pipe with ethylen, a pipe with propylen and then a pipe with gasoline exploded. By this time a tanker full with ethylhexanol was at the BASF pier and had to be protected with a firefighting vessel.

Scaring how it turned out those water turbines were only toys against the fire's power.

Are the water shotgun vehicles oversaturated?

fantozzi

From left to right:

Alfa Romeo 4C, Mercedes CLA, Ford Transit Connect (Hermes, DHL, dpd)

(well, click for more details)

DPD - formerly known as "Deutscher Paketdienst", today named "Dynamic Parcel Distribution"(well "static distribution" would be a problem, right?) in Germany is number 8 in logistics.

Alfa: the "C" stands for "Competizione" -> challenge.

Mercedes, the CLA stands for Compact, Leicht (light), and the A stands for "entry class.

S, like mercedes CLS, stands for Special Class. So maybe A stands for average?  ()what()

fantozzi

Believe it or not but while I'm working on the central part, I'm still not shure about the general layout.

Firsrt thing I'll have to change is to divide the central part or "main part" into two pieces.

This is to keep the crime issue in balance. Otherwise the center part would be too big.

Still this might change.

mattb325

Those cars look great!  :thumbsup:

Simmer2

Fantozzi please do not take this the wrong way.

You may want to tone down those job numbers a bit. Socioeconomic maps will be left in shambles if you suddenly drop that many jobs on the table.
When I make those colossal lots I make sure the job numbers are minimal so as not to impact the city's and regional economy too hard.

Off course its just a suggestion .

Simmer2

fantozzi

@Simmer2,

didn't mention: I changed the AGV as you said, lowered the LOD and rerendered them and indeed the chemical tanks fit better now.

I'm always glad when Matt (he gave me that precious hint how to "sharpen" textures in the B.A.T) or you share your great experience. Everything I do today I learned from guys like you. So don't be nice - be tough, brutally honest. But only once a week. I have very sensitive skin.

The real thing has ~39.000 workers. I tried to get a little close by dividing the whole "factory-city" now into 5 parts. And to give the different parts different work types from I-HT to I-D. So not to plopp all the jobs in the same sector.

Now, when I compare the highest value, the I-M lot with 8500 workers to some of the ploppable skyscrapers with 10.000, 15.000 jobs it is still good average.

But instead you are right.  :P So many ploppables offered for download have stats never to work with standard game values, insteads only with CAM. I think with CAM 2.1 demand can be (theoretically) at 50.000 (!) for each job type.

But with regular game more than 5000, 6000 jobs on one lot would always cause a drop down of demand for many years and make the game imbalanced.

With a total length of 64 tiles this monster will extend to exactly the dimension of a small city tile on his own. If you compare those numbers - 26.000 jobs on 64 x 23 tiles - that isn't very high density. For big industry the density should be even higher.

So to reduce the amount of jobs on lots that big isn't the solution but instead to make the lots smaller, so making more parts - instead of 5 -> 8 parts f.e.

So I would need your opinion about this: should I split up the whole thing into more parts to get the amount of jobs more balanced?

Andreas

Such huge ploppables will trash the demand balance alright, so I'd say try to split up the lots a bit, make unusual lot sizes that you can zone with CTRL pressed, and if the demand for those is high enough, they might grow instantly. 7x11, 9x13 or so might work fine, and still gives you more than enough space even for large industrial facilities.
Andreas

Simmer2

When I designed my colossal refinery it was more as a show piece rather than pushing insane amount of jobs. In the grand scheme of things, jobs are just an intrinsic factor that really does not matter here. The whole point was to create a super detailed ensemble to showcase what a refinery looks like.
I set the jobs at a minimum, if I recall the whole lot assembly provided no more than 500 to 650 jobs.

2 things are achieved this way.

1) The whole ensemble can be safely plopped without breaking the demand balance.

2) It looks awesome AND it won't break the game  :D

I split the whole assembly into 7 parts.

And when its all together you get this...

Small details..

I think the whole point is to be able to showcase your lot ensemble without disturbing the game therefore In my opinion your jobs requirements should be dropped by a factor of 10.
So 2600 total would not disturb the game that much.

Nick

PS I had just started to create my own props when I made this lot therefore you will not find my latest props here  :P