• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Road side mod - Call for international co-operation

Started by NikNik, March 06, 2007, 04:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikNik

This is a call to all modders out there!

The street mod made by Jeronij has been an increadible addition to the beaty of the game.

The only problem is taht it is a street mod and not a road mod.
unfortunately, a roadside mod is much more complex and time consuming that the streetside one, which took over two months of development.

Jeronij recently had a look to the possibility of making a road mod, but the tiles to be modified in this case are three times more that for the street. Also the roads are narrower, and there is not physical space to place parked cars and so many details.

Jeronij will not be able to make this one in the short future alone.
However, if you all join forces; Jeronij, Andreas (SFBT Team), Antigone to name a few you should be able to pull this one of.

Will an international co-operation like this succeed in making a road side mod?
I tempt you to try it.

Nik-Nik

cogeo

I think before that starting this mod we should first study its feasibility.
As you said, there is not enough space for parked cars. I can confirm this, I rember a set of TE lots posted on the STEX in the past. The didn't look really good, plus this is also unrealistic - a busy road with cars parked half on the road and half on the sidewalks is rather an eyesore. So I would suggest that parked cars should be ruled out.
So the first necessary step should be to spec how this should look like - mostly change the sidewalk textures and add/change props.

As for me, I'm completely noob in network or puzzle pieces editing, but as far as i know the streetside mod is not indeed network editing (it doesn't create/modify network pieces) it's modding of the type-21 exemplars (network "lots") requiring work similar to lot development (only you can't use the LE), so I think I could help.

I also have a few points. I have made two mods which conflict (visually) with JRJ's mod:
- Streetlight colour pack. This mods the (standard) streetlight props, by changing the lightcone model. The streetside mod uses different streetlight props, thus making my mod not functional for streets. I would kindly ask that the (proposed) roadside mod uses the standard streetlights as the original network exemplars. Changing the streetlights (model and/or lightcone) can be a subject of another mod (both mods could be optionally installed).
- Roadtop Mass-Transit. The textures conflict. The RTMT stations are simple TE lots (not networks) using combined road/sidewalk textures. If JRJ's mod uses the same textures for all kinds of roads (I, R, C..) I can provide a simple fix (just change the standard road textures with JRJ's), otherwise I will instead need to add this texture and make some new stations using this new texture.

Please let me know your thoughts on the above.

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Hmm... Well I was just looking on ST and there are quite a few different road warning signs and stuff, some are pretty big, but I think that adding these sort of road signs to roads would be enough to keep me happy. I know this is a super old thread, but I didn't feel like starting a new one when there was one of similar context.

-Charlie