• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emgmod

That's how the intersection looked when I drew the intersections. I can't fix it with the current width of the median.

doctor25

cwhtly

Here's a rough prototype of an interchange I'm currently working on.  it's ultimately mean't to be a RWH-8 T interchange (left, right, and below) with RHW4 feeders into a central downtown area (above).  I'll post more once I verify the image is available through the sc4devotion forums.  This is very loosely based on a couple of interchange models I've had to navigate in the Houston, TX, US area.  All the RHW's are currently RHW-4, as I don't believe there is currently a way to overpass larger RHW networks, and I haven't noticed MIS (single lane) interchanges in the type of intersections I'm trying to functionally replicate in the area.  I'm also not yet utilizing the transition pieces to merge the RHW-4's into the projected RHW-8 highways.

Any and all suggestions as to how to enhance this are welcome!

Thanks!

cwhtly

Quote from: cwhtly on February 05, 2010, 11:13:17 PM
Here's a rough prototype of an interchange I'm currently working on.

Here's an example of the type of interchange I'm functionally trying to replicate:

canyonjumper

You're gonna need FlexFly for that.
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

cwhtly

Tarkus

Quote from: cwhtly on February 06, 2010, 11:59:38 PM
Ehh?

What's that?

FLEXFly stands for Flexible Flyover.  It is a special system designed by Blue Lightning that uses "helper piece" technology to build elevated flyover ramps that RHWs can be dragged under.  It's planned for inclusion in the next public RHW release (4.0).

-Alex

cwhtly

Quote from: Tarkus on February 07, 2010, 12:05:26 AM
FLEXFly stands for Flexible Flyover.  It is a special system designed by Blue Lightning that uses "helper piece" technology to build elevated flyover ramps that RHWs can be dragged under.  It's planned for inclusion in the next public RHW release (4.0).

-Alex

Oh well holy $#!!.  I was off to bed, but now I have something worth looking into.  Guess I should be digging more into things before I try the impossible using the standard RHW tools.  Not to say that y'alls work there isn't exemplary!

Thanks Tarkus, and Blue Lightning!

cwhtly

Quote from: cwhtly on February 07, 2010, 12:36:42 AM
Oh well holy $#!!.  I was off to bed, but now I have something worth looking into.  Guess I should be digging more into things before I try the impossible using the standard RHW tools.  Not to say that y'alls work there isn't exemplary!

Thanks Tarkus, and Blue Lightning!

And canyonjumper!!!

ophiuchus14

Agree with the above posts. FLEXFly will revolutionise my highways once its released.

Anyway, the remainder of my post is for emgmod.

I decided to make a Diverging Diamond Interchange myself, I'm not going to use it as part of my highway system (the city in question is going to be wholly rural).

Here's one version, In this photo I've used avenue approaches to the interchange.

The second version uses one-way road approaches.

I also worked on a SPUI interchange as well.

I am the ANDYMAN

Korot

On the first one, it looks like there's a mistake with the OWR's: Both north side OWR's intersecting at a 45* angle with the avenue, are part of an on-ramp.

Regards,
Korot

Jonathan

I still don't get this Diverging Diamond Interchange thing.
It is meant to reduce the amount of time the traffic has to cross oncoming traffic. But I see no reduction, they have simply moved where the traffic crosses, and made it so more cars must cross the oncoming traffic.

Roundabouts on the other hand work without traffic lights and are much simpler.

ophiuchus14

Quote from: Korot on February 07, 2010, 05:25:17 AM
On the first one, it looks like there's a mistake with the OWR's: Both north side OWR's intersecting at a 45* angle with the avenue, are part of an on-ramp.

Regards,
Korot

D'oh, good spotting, well just ignore the arrows and you get the general idea.

And Jonathan, It's perfectly alright, it seems to be more of an American thing.
I am the ANDYMAN

Haljackey

Nice job ophiuchus14!  The second one has to be my favorite!   &apls

Quote from: Jonathan on February 07, 2010, 05:46:59 AM
I still don't get this Diverging Diamond Interchange thing.
It is meant to reduce the amount of time the traffic has to cross oncoming traffic. But I see no reduction, they have simply moved where the traffic crosses, and made it so more cars must cross the oncoming traffic.

Roundabouts on the other hand work without traffic lights and are much simpler.

Simply put, roundabouts are much simpler and work better.  Problem is that most American motorists get kinda scared and confused when they see them because they don't understand how they're supposed to work without something directing them (such as a traffic light instead of right of way).  This might be a tad stereotypical, but that's at least one of the reasons why they aren't used more often.

The diverging diamond allows all turns to be made without crossing traffic in the other direction, making it more efficient.  However its design may be confusing to some, and you still have those two intersections like a typical diamond.  Difference here is that everything converses at these intersections so traffic flow is more even than a diamond.

Here in my part of southern Ontario, Canada, the local and provincial governments have been building more and more roundabouts over the years, yet I don't think they fully understand how they work yet.  They put stop signs at each entry point to the traffic circle most of the time, which I think eliminates the purpose of roundabouts entirely.  I guess they think drivers are too aggressive and won't let them in so they'd better stop and wait. 

I don't think there's a single roundabout highway interchange in my province either, as pretty much 99% of them are parclos.  It might seem bland, but they work well and when they're in that quantity, drivers know how to navigate them quite well.

ophiuchus14

Quote from: Haljackey on February 07, 2010, 07:37:24 AM

I don't think there's a single roundabout highway interchange in my province either, as pretty much 99% of them are parclos.  It might seem bland, but they work well and when they're in that quantity, drivers know how to navigate them quite well.

I use roundabout interchanges frequently in my more populated centres. In New Zealand. There are two roundabout interchanges apiece in Auckland and Wellington with Christchurch set to have one built in the near future:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-36.888899,174.797507&spn=0.002137,0.006866&t=h&z=18

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-36.903715,174.812543&spn=0.004272,0.013733&t=h&z=17

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-41.216411,174.883879&spn=0.004019,0.013733&t=h&z=17 (note interchange is brand new and pic hasn't updated yet)

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=-41.138346,174.845352&spn=0.004024,0.013733&t=h&z=17
I am the ANDYMAN

DJSun1981

Jonathan

QuoteThe diverging diamond allows all turns to be made without crossing traffic in the other direction, making it more efficient.
But they do cross traffic in the other direction at the ends of the diamonds. And isntead of only the traffic coming off/going on the highway crossing the traffic in the other direction all the cars must cross. Even those wanting to travel straight through the intersection on the Avenue.

j-dub

@Jonathan, maybe we have gotten to greedy to put traffic lights up and pay the costs to maintain them, but yeah, main traffic still has to cross over, seems like roundabouts would work best instead of the intersection of switching sides. However, in comparison of roundabouts to diverging diamonds, it is arguable which are most inefficient, because I have seen avenue roundabouts get installed in the US but it seems Europeans just seem to go through this better, that eventually this one US avenue roundabout had to have stop signs on all eight sides, because the avenue roundabouts in my state allow you to go straight through in each lane, and left in the right lane, when the car on the left wants to go straight, and this seems you have more crossing traffic. However, I think for that concept to be sufficient would require roundabouts instead of the diamond, but using one roundabout seems easiest. However, it seems when you end an avenue at the highway, this would be the best way to go, intersections on the other hand is a different story. Its just after seeing too many people end up on the wrong sides of major avenues in my state as it is, my attitude has been altered on this diverging concept.

deathtopumpkins

The main benefit of a DDI is that traffic wanting to make a left turn never has to sit and wait at a light. Also, through traffic moves through faster because the lack of left-turn light cycles means longer green times. Look up some videos on YouTube, they do a fantastic job of explaining them.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

emgmod

Quote from: ophiuchus14 on February 07, 2010, 05:09:16 AM
I decided to make a Diverging Diamond Interchange myself, I'm not going to use it as part of my highway system (the city in question is going to be wholly rural).

Here's one version, In this photo I've used avenue approaches to the interchange.
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2517/pigeonbush2jan001265542.png

The second version uses one-way road approaches.
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4820/pigeonbush2jan001265542w.png
Great job on both of those interchanges. I'll post a picture later of one with eyecandy added.