• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

desperately looking for updates

Started by 2stepper, December 29, 2007, 05:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2stepper

Okay I'm tired of waiting on EA support to answer my email. I've got a photo of my disks and jewel case if someone would please send me to a site where I can get the updates needed for SC4D and the Buildings as props dat 1 and 2...

I went and bought Sim City Societies and am grossly disappointed in this $40 coaster sitting on my desk.... I wanted to get back into SC4D and reinstalled it only to find I couldn't find my backup CD I made with all of the downloads from BSC and others PLUS the updates and dats...

Thanks for any help guys.
2stepper

RippleJet

2stepper

Thanks for the reply Ripple. I thought those files were just for the mac version though? I'm on PC. I downloaded the update that he has and in the zip it's readme says mac...

Anyone else have a source for the PC files?

RippleJet

Those files are not exclusively for Mac. ;)

Zelgadis' uploads originally consisted of the official landmarks which on the official site are only available as installers, which won't work on a Mac.
Thus, Zelgadis' site is targeted at Mac users. That won't make the files unusable for PC users though. ;)

Shadow Assassin

See, Zelgadis managed to get those files because he had a Windows computer, as well as a Mac, which plays SC4. He basically extracted the installer contents (that's the dats and stuff), put them together into a zip file (which can be read and extracted by both PC and Mac). Useful, and even better, EA don't particularly care anyway, seeing as they've abandoned SC4 in favour of that cash cow known as The Sims. Also, you don't even have to bother with EA's really dumb patch installer software (I've lost count of the number of times I've had that installer crash on me).

Don't worry, .dat files can be read by both PCs and Mac. If this wasn't the case, you'd be stuck...

With the picture, though, you should black out the entire serial number for security reasons. People can extrapolate your serial number even if you've whited out some of the digits (believe me, I know how CD serials work).
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

2stepper

Thanks for the help guys.. I didn't realize that about Zelgadis's site..

I got rid of the pic too.. LOL Guess it doesn't really matter since I wasn't going to go through EA's site anyway but just in case :)

Shadow Assassin

No problem at all. A lot of people actually aren't aware that Zel's Mac files can be used on PC too.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

SC4BOY

Actually as I recall, EA (maxis) specifies that they WILL NOT resolve game codes issues via email.. only via snailmail. This is documented somewhere on their site.. forget  where.. been couple years since I read through that. There are so many counterfiet/ "borrowed" copies around they don't even bother unless you show willingness to get it done..

2stepper

Wow, how time flies by. Well here I am again 2 years after this post playing SC4 again.

I really want to thank those that keep these sites up and running for those of us who enjoy the game. It's great to be able to come back and get those missing files.

For those that don't remember me from Simtropolis (I know it's been years 03 I think), I'm a truck driver and can't dedicate the time it takes to get into making bats or city journals and such but I do like to play this game anytime I'm back home with some idle time.

Now I find myself searching for the BSC and CSX farms and rewards.