• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

[WIP] SCAG McDonnell Douglas MD-80 Project

Started by pilotdaryl, May 25, 2008, 12:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilotdaryl

MD-80 Current Status: TEXTURE CONSTRUCTION & APPLICATION
I began my aircraft-BATting business over a year ago with the Boeing 777 (picture).  That aircraft has been with me for a long time and will remain the flagship of the SimCity Aviation Group.  Now it's time to make decisions: should the Boeing 777 remain the only aircraft available from the SimCity Aviation Group?  Or should we introduce another aircraft series?
That dilemma has plagued me for many months.  I have finally made my decision.
These are the currently available aircraft (BATs) for SimCity sorted by market:

Long-range market
Airbus A380 - tabinohito
Boeing 747 - AC team
Boeing 777-300/ER - SCAG (Under construction)
Medium-long range market
Airbus A340 - tabinohito
McDonnell Douglas MD-11, DC-10 - tabinohito
Medium-range market
Boeing 767-300/ER - Kumba
Boeing 757-200/300 - tabinohito
Short-medium range market
Boeing 737NG - AC team (under construction)
Airbus A320 - AC team (under construction)
Airbus A320 - tabinohito
Short-range market
None
Regional market
Bombardier CRJ - AC team

See that "None" in the short-range market?  Most of the aircraft being made in the SimCity aircraft industry are bigger and more modern aircraft.  That is why I decided to begin BATting the McDonnell Douglas MD-80.  The MD-80 is a short-range aircraft series perfect for the short-range market.  There are many MD-80s in service around the world today.  The MD-80 will be constructed alongside the Boeing 777 in the SCAG aircraft factory; it will be a much shorter project with a much shorter timeline than the 777; skills from previous aircraft BATting experiences will be applied to this new project, and I expect it to go by much quicker than the multi-year 777.  The projected timeline is as follows:
Model completion - Late Summer-Early Fall
Nightlighting/extra details - Early Fall-Mid Fall
Texturing completion (RL airlines) - Late Fall-Mid Winter
Release (RL airlines) - Winter

The available models will be the MD-81, the MD-82, the MD-83 and the MD-87.  Not only will real-life operators of the MD-80 be made, but the SimCity Aviation Group is open to requests for either real-life airlines or custom liveries.

Our mission: to create realistic airports and their environments for the enjoyment of SimCity players worldwide.
-Pilotdaryl

Stage 1 MD-80 (basic structures: fuselage, wing, tail, engines, landing gear) - COMPLETE!!!
Stage 2 MD-80 (details such as navigation antennas, lights) - COMPLETE
Texturing - ONGOING

Fuselage BATting has begun:

krbe

Do we get a classic SAS livery (from the time it was The businessman's airline?) ::)

And wouldn't the A340 belong in the long range category? The shortest-range version flies longer than all current 747s except the 800ER  :D

pilotdaryl

krbe: Hmm... I didn't check the references... I just... well... placed it there randomly? :D
SAS does operate MD-80s; all RL MD-80 operators will be made ;)
Update on the fuselage: Nose has taken shape

Note the diagram reference on the bottom and side; this is a method that I didn't use on the 777; it pays to be accurate ;D
Also note the transparency of the fuselage... so I can see the diagrams behind it. :D

Simfan34

pilotdaryl

UPDATE: Fuselage is finished ;D

I'll be soon moving on to the wing ;)
Simfan34: Thanks!

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

pilotdaryl

Pat: Thanks! ;D
So far, I've got the fuselage and the wings complete; this project is way ahead of schedule ;D

krbe

"In front, to the left please" -- I cannot understand why people berate these planes so much these days. Only two seats on the left, low engine noise and the wing far back ;D Give me a MD-80 any day!

Good to see we're getting somewhere!

cameron1991

Yay! More planes!  :D
Hopefully this won't slow down your 777 project (BTW, hows that going anyway?)
The MD80 looks great so far! Can I please request an Air New Zealand livery? (I know they don't operate them in RL, but I would like a small aircraft to supplement the ANZ 777)

freedo50

Great work Daryl. If you want someone to lot these for you when you're done, give me a shout. I'm not gonna be fully available for another week or so, but that shouldn't be a problem, seeing as you still have texture it.

Fred

pilotdaryl

krbe: Thanks! ;D
cameron1991: More planes! ;D It's nice to see the SimCity community so happy about the variety of planes available nowadays.  I have a few lower-quality models (such as the 737 and A320) which I can place ANZ liveries on, but if you'd like it on the MD-80, no problem ;D
freedo50: I'll be lotting these myself, but I guess I might as well give you a call if I need help. ;)

Modelling the tail starts today; I hope to have the engines started tomorrow then I can move onto the landing gear.
Shortest time to complete modelling an airplane :P Maybe, lol

EDIT: Vertical stabilizer finished

cameron1991

wow this is going fast!  :thumbsup:
BTW, don't worry about the 737 and A320, I don't want to give you anymore work....

skyliner

WOW very impressive Pilotdaryl! That is a genius idea, and i look forward to the MD80s. If you need me to go back to work again, just let me know!

pilotdaryl

cameron1991: Aw shucks... I'll be ok :P
skyliner: Thanks!  I think I'll be able to actually create all the textures myself this time ;) but you'll certainly be on the job again!
I trust that you all know what part I have finished this time... ;D

cameron1991

I can't really say much more than what I've said in my other posts, because all I can say is that it looks awesome!  :D
:thumbsup:

hyped_up_boy

awesome job, PD!  btw, i'd be happy to lot these planes for you once you finish :).  looking forward to seeing some textures!

SimFox

:thumbsup:
very nice!

May I ask you where have you been taking those schematics from?

simsmart

Quote from: SimFox on May 28, 2008, 01:27:28 AM
schematics
I want the bunts and burners, and schematics... I don't even know what schematics are, but I want them. Because I know, schematics belong in labs!
-Dane Cook, Dream House

Now I have a reason to do more posting!  ;)

pilotdaryl

cameron1991: "Awesome" is all you need  ;)
hyped_up_boy: Nice to see you here ;D Thanks!
Simfox: Thanks!  The schematics are from the Boeing site. ;)
simsmart: Thanks!  You'll be doing a lot more posting, I tell ya  ;D

JT8Ds, looking good ;D

cameron1991

Well, if thats all I need, then....

Awesome!  $%Grinno$%