• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Medieval castles, what's out there?

Started by Unassigned, June 19, 2008, 01:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unassigned

I am looking for a castle from "The Dark Ages", .i.e. from the time when such places had to be defensible. It needs to fit into a Central European, hilly setting.

xannepan's Burg Eltz would be ideal, were it not that it doesn't fit the terrain. Are there any good alternatives out there?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

M4346

But the Burg Eltz is slope friendly / conforming? How does it not fit the terrain? Sorry, just curious. :)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Unassigned

M4346, it appears there has to be some degree of levelness where the Burg is placed or it will mysteriously change height relative to the terrain when changing zoom level (toggling between zoom 2 and 3 changes the height). This makes it not so easy to make appropriate surroundings for the Burg  :'(

And if the slope is too steep, one side of the Burg is fine and the other is buried in the hillside - I wanted to use this on a collaborative project where the terrain is given, thus I'm not permitted to terraform my way out of this.

It's a shame, I'd really like to use the Burg, it's way cool and in my eyes similar in a way to a favourite of mine, Schloss Vianden:

But ofc both of these sits on top of hills, what I really need is something which fits on the slope itself.
(\__/)

M4346

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

BarbyW

Unassigned, if this is for the GRV region you can do a small amount of terraforming to place the castle. mrbisonm is more worried about major terraforming work to change the whole aspect of a tile.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Unassigned

Spot on, BarbyW, and I'm working on it - unfortunately no luck getting rid of that height-change glitch yet :(
(\__/)

Orange Julius

I know back in 04 or 03, Maxis released a prop pack called Castle Ramparts, but that's all I know of...
Gone now...