• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RTMT El Rail over Road Stations

Started by z, May 28, 2009, 01:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

The RTMT El Rail over Road Stations have finished their alpha testing, and will go to beta testing within the day.  Here's a sample of what they look like:

As you can see, they're the standard RTMT stations that just happen to have a functional el rail track above them.  They're very useful in crowded cities, which is where you generally find el rail over road.  These stations come in three varieties:  bus stop, subway station, and combination bus stop/subway station (which is shown).

There are also stations for the relatively new El Rail over Street.  These stations come in the same three varieties as the El Rail over Road stations.

I have a question for players outside the US:  Are the road textures for El Rail over Road the European road textures?  If so, I will make sure that these stations come with that texture as an option, just like all other stations.

For those who are wondering what happened to the SAM stations, they are completed; they are simply going to be bundled with these stations in a single release (V3.60).

k808j

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

io_bg

Looks great and will be really useful for sure!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Nardo69

Looks great although a version that serves the El Rail with two small platforms (as overhanging Props) would be very useful, too.

About the european road textures, even though I don't know such a situation in Germany or Europe at the Moment I don't see any reason why the textures here should be different than those from "normal" roads.

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Xyloxadoria

I have made a platform and stairs for the station. Here is a pic:

Nardo69

That does look great!

Is it possible though to prolong the platforms as overhanging props so that the Lot itself is 2*1 but the platforms 4*1?

Could've used this today .. I used everything that is misc. transport and above earth ...  ;D

Amtrak7

Quote from: Xyloxadoria on June 08, 2009, 02:13:28 PM
I have made a platform and stairs for the station. Here is a pic:

Excellent!  Just make the station 3-6 tiles long, not 2.

wes.janson

Oh my... something this game is SORELY lacking.

I never use el-rail over road for lack of stations, but this little beauty just might change my mind.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

RebaLynnTS

Where's the elevator? Those of us in wheelchairs would like to use it too :)
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Nardo69

@RebaLynnTS: I would say the eleators in that grey large thingy not yet in the middle - an oldfashioned one without those fancy larges glass walls ...  ;)

SimNation

you gotta make a regular elevated rail version of this...it looks too good not to have

RebaLynnTS

Quote from: Nardo69 on June 08, 2009, 05:43:48 PM
@RebaLynnTS: I would say the eleators in that grey large thingy not yet in the middle - an oldfashioned one without those fancy larges glass walls ...  ;)

Works for me :)
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

wes.janson

If you're looking for ideas for station designs. Vancouvers Skytrain has, at least, one that sits overtop a road (Well.. well.. what SC4 calls an avenue to be exact)

[link to picture]

This is the only photo I could find that should an overview. The inside of the station is beautiful though, all post and beam.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

buddybud

Hey great work there z, xylo beautiful station!!!!

Bud

allan_kuan1992

If someone can make the road narrower so it looks like sims can easily walk around the elevator, then that would be fantastic I think.

There is a little need for some support columns however.

- Allan Kuan

Nardo69

Roadtexture: yes, a narrower one would look better but that would also require to adapt the paths ...

Support: Well, for this 2*1 the support would be OK, for a longer one (like my proposed overhanging 4*1 on a 2*1 Lot) more columns would be necessary / look better ;)

@Xyloxadoria: I hope I haven't "took over" your work too much but I really like that station!  :)

z

The final version will be four tiles long.  And since two of them will be overhangs, we can rely on the standard el rail support columns for our support there.

There will also be an alternate version where the stairs continue down below street level to meet the subway.  (We'll make sure the elevator shaft is extended as well.)  And of course there's plenty of room for a nice little bus stop too...

allan_kuan1992

For the E-Rail x Road [Bus + Subway] stations those stairs should be placed on the other side of the elevator? I'm starting to get worried about the amount of sidewalk space there.

Is it also possible to make stations that "overhang" the network? I know BriPizza made something similar but I'm not particularly liking how those stations seem to lack ADA compliance.

One more thing that is slightly off topic: is it possible to relot the RTMT stations such that there is say one staircase on one side and elevator access on the other for road and one-way road stations that have subway connections? For avenues we might be able to do two on either side depending on space.

- Allan Kuan

z

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on June 09, 2009, 05:35:32 PM
For the E-Rail x Road [Bus + Subway] stations those stairs should be placed on the other side of the elevator? I'm starting to get worried about the amount of sidewalk space there.

We're still working on this.  Either the stairs will have to go on the other side of the elevator, or the sidewalk widened by the stairs and elevator and the road narrowed a bit, probably to street width.

Is it also possible to make stations that "overhang" the network? I know BriPizza made something similar but I'm not particularly liking how those stations seem to lack ADA compliance.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.  The model can certainly overhang the network, which is how we will get a four-square-long station.

One more thing that is slightly off topic: is it possible to relot the RTMT stations such that there is say one staircase on one side and elevator access on the other for road and one-way road stations that have subway connections? For avenues we might be able to do two on either side depending on space.

You need elevator access on both sides in order to reach both platforms.  And for Sims in a hurry, you need stairs on both sides too.  As for avenues, there currently is no el rail over avenue, nor is any definitely planned, so we won't worry about stations for those for now.

Nardo69

As a proposal - why don't you mirror that modell? Two stairways and a two elevators aren't much in a crowded downtown, and this way you'll going to have enough support for the platform, too ... ;)