• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

duplexs are soo ugly :9

Started by slimbox, July 25, 2009, 11:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimbox

hey guys I'm wondering if someone can make a mod to remove the duplex's from simcity.

Or tell me which tutorials to follow so i can remove them
I did too much reading on the issue, but got nowhere. I mean seriously I spent like 3hrs reading up on this because I couldn't stand to play with these lots growing
and I don't mind them popping up here and there but I'd rather take the demand penalty (simulation adverse effects) and zone more residential than have these everywhere in my game
Its not the buildings themselves so much it's more of the like 4 buildings in a tiny lot that's such an eyesore.
Now, I read that you can remove the occupant group so the building won't grow anymore, but like I said, I would like that building to appear on any other lots they go on.
so really I think this is more of a "remove lots" issue and thus the confusion on which tutorial to follow(if there are indeed tutorials that cover this specific issue.)

the main lots i speak of are the R$3_1x3 lots

thanks for hearing me out :)

joelyboy911

You can prevent them from growing by setting them a growth stage that doesn't exist i beleive. You would have to go into the reader, open one of the simcity .dats from the main game folder, find the exemplars of the specific lots you don't like and set their growth stage to 255, for example.

Someone correct me if this is wrong.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Andreas

Quote from: joelyboy911 on July 25, 2009, 11:53:16 PM
You can prevent them from growing by setting them a growth stage that doesn't exist i beleive. You would have to go into the reader, open one of the simcity .dats from the main game folder, find the exemplars of the specific lots you don't like and set their growth stage to 255, for example.

Yes, that should work, but it is not advisable to modify the SimCity_1.dat. Instead, you should make a mod, which is merely creating a separate DAT file that contains a copy of said exemplar files. The Reader features some kind of "shopping basket" for collecting files - right click on each of them and select "Add to patch", and once you're done, select "Save recorded exemplars" from the "File" menu. It will give you a list of all files that have been collected, with the ability to save them as a new DAT file.
Andreas

joelyboy911

SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

slimbox

k thanks!
I just tried something else -hopefully I'm on the right track

I downloaded the "bsc no maxis" and extracted the R$3 1x3 lots and saved the dat.
can I put the new .dat file in plugins folder and be done?
I'm going to try now... wish me luck :)

joelyboy911

Good Luck: That sounds like exactly the right thing to do!
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

slimbox

k that didn't work

instead all R$ residents got a no water zot! hahahah  $%Grinno$%
which was like the entire city
::)

I added water to some of them and they were fine
but the rest were simply abandoned due to "lack of water."

also no R$ would grow either in an established city or a new city

Hope to figure it out later tonight

EDIT/update:

HMM , well I didn't quite get it perfect, but I was able to block said offenders.
I still get no water zots over existing lots.
and it seems I'd be better off by removing their associated tile-set. but I don't know how to do that
so I'll just have to bulldoze them if I don't want to add water. or if I want something to develop on these existing lots.
reason being if the growth stage for said lot is greater than any other lot it can't "upgrade." :(

and for some reason when I tried to change the growth stage property it would go to 0x00.  Did I do something wrong?
instead I had to copy the Growth Stage property from the BSC No Maxis Mod, paste it into the lot of the new dat, and then delete the existing Growth Stage property.

a few threads covering issue:
http://www.simphoni.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=12694
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2924.0
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=3036.0

EDIT/update 3:

K I tried something else with the mod I made
I opened up SC4Tool and changed the zone type for said lots to only low res.
and now when I zone for high res and med res (density) the lot gets destroyed! woot! :D
Definitely easier than bulldozing.