• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meeston

Quote from: samerton on November 04, 2013, 11:54:21 AM
Quote from: Meeston on November 04, 2013, 11:52:02 AM
Philippines is not using a Rural Highway. expect NLEX and SLEX. where having rural parts of the highway.

The RHW Mod is now named as the "Real Highway Mod", as it can be used in all situations, not just rural.
but that's the old name for RHW. also. it's so hard to put the puzzle pieces. and the game crashing when i'm using puzzle pieces. that's why i'm not using puzzle pieces in my cities. expect the Tram-in-Avenue.
this is Meeston. the best SimCity gamer.

sunv123

Quote from: Meeston on November 04, 2013, 11:56:58 AM
Quote from: samerton on November 04, 2013, 11:54:21 AM
Quote from: Meeston on November 04, 2013, 11:52:02 AM
Philippines is not using a Rural Highway. expect NLEX and SLEX. where having rural parts of the highway.

The RHW Mod is now named as the "Real Highway Mod", as it can be used in all situations, not just rural.
but that's the old name for RHW. also. it's so hard to put the puzzle pieces. and the game crashing when i'm using puzzle pieces. that's why i'm not using puzzle pieces in my cities. expect the Tram-in-Avenue.

What? :-\

Also, not everytihng in development is based of the Philippines. If you want to create something to fit your liking, why not try doing it yourself? If you spend some time, you could even make things like THIS.
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Kuewr665

If something crashes when you are plopping a puzzle piece, that may mean something went wrong in your installation of the mod.

Meeston

Quote from: Kuewr665 on November 04, 2013, 03:36:23 PM
If something crashes when you are plopping a puzzle piece, that may mean something went wrong in your installation of the mod.
no. the game crashes when the puzzle piece are plopping next to a TE lot.  ;)

Kuewr665

Oh, that happens whenever a puzzle piece is placed over a transit enabled lot. The game tries to get the piece to fit into the network on the lot, but the lot rejects it, getting it into an infinite loop and crashing the game. You have to be careful to prevent that from occurring, and always save the city before placing puzzle pieces anywhere near a transit enabled lot carrying the same network.

Meeston

Quote from: Kuewr665 on November 04, 2013, 10:19:49 PM
Oh, that happens whenever a puzzle piece is placed over a transit enabled lot. The game tries to get the piece to fit into the network on the lot, but the lot rejects it, getting it into an infinite loop and crashing the game. You have to be careful to prevent that from occurring, and always save the city before placing puzzle pieces anywhere near a transit enabled lot carrying the same network.
okay. nice tip!  &apls

Kuewr665

Here's a post that puts it in a more accurate way.

Quote from: mott on October 25, 2007, 02:48:47 PM
WHY PUZZLE PIECE HOVERS OVER TE LOTS CAUSE CRASHES
---------------------------------------------------

What the player sees as a "TE lot" is the result of some special coding overrides in the lot, that lie to the network and automata *display* processes.  This way, they are "tricked" into drawing a continuous road for the player, with traffic, instead of displaying the ugly reality (a broken road with a bus stop in the middle of it).

These same lies cause the game to crash to desktop when someone hovers a "puzzle piece" over the lot.  The puzzle-piece preview thinks it's over a network (it believes the lie), so it goes looking for RUL tables so it can auto-orient itself.  Lots don't have the proper tables for this purpose; only networks do.  Null/random pointer, meet desktop.  This is not a "puzzle piece" problem, it's a TE-lot problem, and it's not solvable without modding the EXE itself. 

The underlying point is, the network doesn't *really* go through a TE lot.  That's just a clever display trick.  They're really just Transit Switch lots, like any other.

Meeston

Quote from: Kuewr665 on November 04, 2013, 10:29:05 PM
Here's a post that puts it in a more accurate way.

Quote from: mott on October 25, 2007, 02:48:47 PM
WHY PUZZLE PIECE HOVERS OVER TE LOTS CAUSE CRASHES
---------------------------------------------------

What the player sees as a "TE lot" is the result of some special coding overrides in the lot, that lie to the network and automata *display* processes.  This way, they are "tricked" into drawing a continuous road for the player, with traffic, instead of displaying the ugly reality (a broken road with a bus stop in the middle of it).

These same lies cause the game to crash to desktop when someone hovers a "puzzle piece" over the lot.  The puzzle-piece preview thinks it's over a network (it believes the lie), so it goes looking for RUL tables so it can auto-orient itself.  Lots don't have the proper tables for this purpose; only networks do.  Null/random pointer, meet desktop.  This is not a "puzzle piece" problem, it's a TE-lot problem, and it's not solvable without modding the EXE itself. 

The underlying point is, the network doesn't *really* go through a TE lot.  That's just a clever display trick.  They're really just Transit Switch lots, like any other.
okay.  &apls

Wiimeiser

Then how come hovering a MHW Diamond Interchange over the Car & Ferry terminal doesn't cause any problems? (Can anyone actually confirm this?)
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

memo

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 05, 2013, 12:38:24 AM
Then how come hovering a MHW Diamond Interchange over the Car & Ferry terminal doesn't cause any problems? (Can anyone actually confirm this?)

That's because the issue will only occur if both puzzle piece and TE lot make use of the same network. In your case, you could try the road viaduct ramp which will certainly result in a CTD. This is why some of the TIA stations are transit-enabled using OWRs. Also, if the puzzle piece meets certain strict criteria, it will never cause a CTD, like the straight elevated road viaduct, for instance.

Edit: I missread your post. I should learn what a Diamond Interchange is. ::) Alex, do you know more about that?

MandelSoft

However, when you hover a MHW interchange over a MHW toll booth, both standard items in the game, the game will CTD
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Meeston

Quote from: MandelSoft on November 05, 2013, 02:14:12 AM
However, when you hover a MHW interchange over a MHW toll booth, both standard items in the game, the game will CTD
i know that.  :P

Geometry123

Okay, here's something to say:

GET BACK ON TOPIC!!!
$%Grinno$%

Using the Euro textures, I find it a little stressful to use the elevated RHWs, because the inner and outer shoulders look the same to me. So, I have to activate the DrawPaths cheat to check the pathing.

To save time to build the elevated RHWs, what if you guys add guide arrows to the preview models of the elevated RHWs? That'll save time for me, because I don't have to spend a few seconds typing 'DrawPaths' in the cheat box. And/or switch to the default or Ontario texture sets. ::)
You will never know when will the next NAM be released. Only time teasing will tell. :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game"
                                                 -Ocean Quigley

Meeston

Quote from: Geometry123 on November 05, 2013, 04:17:02 AM
Okay, here's something to say:

GET BACK ON TOPIC!!!
$%Grinno$%

Using the Euro textures, I find it a little stressful to use the elevated RHWs, because the inner and outer shoulders look the same to me. So, I have to activate the DrawPaths cheat to check the pathing.

To save time to build the elevated RHWs, what if you guys add guide arrows to the preview models of the elevated RHWs? That'll save time for me, because I don't have to spend a few seconds typing 'DrawPaths' in the cheat box. And/or switch to the default or Ontario texture sets. ::)
okay. and i know that.  :P

Wiimeiser

Just want to go off-topic for a bit, to clarify: It will only crash if any part of it can be plopped on an existing network?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Meeston

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 05, 2013, 05:16:27 AM
Just want to go off-topic for a bit, to clarify: It will only crash if any part of it can be plopped on an existing network?
YES. also. do NOT use puzzle pieces. that's why i'm HATE puzzle pieces.  ;)

MandelSoft

Nothing wrong with puzzle pieces. You just need to know how and when to use them, as many people before you learned that...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Meeston

Quote from: MandelSoft on November 05, 2013, 05:34:53 AM
Nothing wrong with puzzle pieces. You just need to know how and when to use them, as many people before you learned that...
okay. but AVE-8 will be on the NAM 32? i'm want the AVE-8. i love AVE-6. and AVE-8.  ::)

Kuewr665

I recall that NAM 32 is said to focus on RHW stability and QuickChange, not NWM as planned.