• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDGE4194

Quote from: dragonshardz on November 04, 2007, 11:11:41 AM
Glee!
Tarkus, if I could, I'd give ya and the other guys working on this a few +Karma points!
So close, and yet so far?
woohoo!
&apls  %BUd%  &dance  &hlp

Toichus Maximus

bakerton

This, when MIS comes out, will replace standard roads, streets and one way roads that I use for exits and on ramps. Looking grovey dude. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Haljackey

Hey everyone, I have an observation to show you regarding the RHW texture mods.

It regards the unwanted "sidewalk" patch that appears when there is something placed next to the RHW network. 
-Normally, a sidewalk would appear on the left side of the RHW, which really isn't that bad, because it can give the illusion that it is a "civic" median between the highways.  I don't have a problem with that.
-However, when creating a diagonal stretch of the RHW, the sidewalk becomes much more noticeable, and looks quite out of place with the network.
-I know this is a known issue, but it is resolved with certain textures.  Examples follow below:
(sorry the images don't line up directly, they were taken over time)

original RHW texture.  It is quite noticable here:  :P

Asphalt replacement texture.  The diagonal stretch looks much better!  :thumbsup:

New RHW texture.  It reappears!  UGG!! :thumbsdown:

Anyways, based on these observations, I have a request.  I am not too sure if it is a simple or complex request, so here it goes:
-Would it be possible to have the diagonal texture from the Asphalt texture apply to the new RHW texture?  The Euro-style textures look awesome, but the new RHW texture could too if this sidewalk was replaced.

Anyways, thanks for your time.  I look forward to the progress of the RHW (as always!  ;D)

Best,
-Haljackey

Tarkus

Haljackey, to answer your question, the answer is a definite yes

rickmastfan67 and I discussed it a good while ago, and the next version of the North American textures will have the fix implemented.  The textures that originally came with the RHW mod will be phased out with the next release, RHW v20, in favor of the two replacement sets, rickmastfan67's and Shadow Assassin's. 

I'm not entirely sure how we're going to package the texture sets in relation to the mod, so that's a detail we'll still need to work out.  It really depends on how things work out with our schedules, but ideally, I'd like to have both sets packaged with the main mod download, and give the user an option of which to use in the installer.  But that's far from definite, and I probably won't have a definitive answer until much closer to the release.

And everyone, more development screenies soon.  Getting that first diamond interchange working was a huge step for me in the development process, as much of that coding is re-usable. ;)  Further expansion will be able to occur quite rapidly as a result.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Shadow Assassin

In addition, the Euro textures will be given a total revamp to better suit what I have planned for the highway networks.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

KooriSim123

Sounds and looks great  :thumbsup: Tarkus cant wait for the MIS well done  &apls
catch ya
Strong,Black and deadly
My brothers keeper

empyreal

I spent 2 days reading this thread beginning to end.  I am impressed with the progress made, thanks to all.  One thing missing is the yellow water filled buckets that site at the on and off ramps and bridge posts so as to lighten a collision with a median or bridge.

I noticed someone mentioned the heights of the cameras that were in a render.  They mentioned they were on the gantry's and not on poles.   Well here in Ontario, they are on poles.  They are viewable by the public on this website :: link ::.
There are numerous cameras on all the 400 series highways here, many stretches are rural style and others freeway style, including massive bridges like the garden city skyway and tunnels like the Thorold Tunnel.  I live in the Niagara (QEW/405/406) area.  Specifically on the QEW through St. Catharines.   This stretch is undergoing a massive reconstruction from a 4s to a 6c.  Every bridge along it is being reconstructed half at a time so as not to completely disrupt the cities traffic.  One bridge at the west entrance to Stc will be a single expanse so as to view the world class rowing regatta pond/river that was the old Welland Canal in the St. Lawrence Seaway.  Its a 5 year project, and so far has claimed at least one life (medical helicopters landing on the highway).  I promise to snap some shots of the amazing equipment in use and bridge constructions.  They move medians on a nightly basis with a pretty unusual truck.

Keep up the great work, look forward to playing with it in the future!   Thanks again.

----
Some Links for you MD, CJ in RL junkies ;)

The Cameras again :: link ::.
For you historical highway nuts, this site is absolutely fantastic!  QEW Historical Photos
Announcements of Queen Elizabeth Way widening :: Link ::

Looks nothing like this now, but i look forward to recreating it with the MIS.

bat

Haljackey

Those yellow water buckets???  What a great idea empyreal!  It makes sense, although you don't see them often on rural highways, you do in urban centres and they are becoming increasingly popular in suburban regions too!  I like it!

BTW empyreal, I live in the London area (401/402), so I know exactly what you're talking about.  Well put!

Best,
-Haljackey.

empyreal

Quote from: Haljackey on November 07, 2007, 11:04:14 AM
Those yellow water buckets???  What a great idea empyreal!  It makes sense, although you don't see them often on rural highways, you do in urban centres and they are becoming increasingly popular in suburban regions too!  I like it!

The stretch between niagara falls and fort erie which is sparsely populated has these yellow (lets say) barrels at nearly every overpass.  Niagara (Niagara Falls specifically) has alot of conference centers, one of which a friend of mine works at.   He overheard a MTO conference that said this portion of highway would be upgraded to concrete median with light posts by 2012.  Canadian high walls i suppose we call them considering their tapered styling at overpasses.

Quote from: Haljackey on November 07, 2007, 11:04:14 AM
BTW empyreal, I live in the London area (401/402), so I know exactly what you're talking about.  Well put!

There are pictures of the 401 on that site i posted, if you find the root.   Here.  http://www.thekingshighway.ca/

Good to see another Canadian around :)

I wont hijack this thread anymore about RL highways ... Back to RHW and MIS.   Looking forward to recreating this in MIS.   The historical site is a nice primer to see how to develop intercity transport relational to populations ;)

Shadow Assassin

QuoteCanadian high walls i suppose we call them considering their tapered styling at overpasses.

Are the high walls similar to these? We call them Ontario high wall barriers for some reason. :P
New Horizons Productions

Haljackey

@ Shadow Assassin and empyreal

They are commonly referred to "Ontario Tall Walls" round here.  They are similar to the US "Jersey median", just a little larger and reinforced to make it safer.  It will stop a standard 18-wheeler traveling @ 100kph head on while causing as minimal damage as possible.  Now thats what I call strong!

Heres a quick image of some used along a curve:

Shadow Assassin

The ones we've got are something like 40cm thick, and they're buried quite deeply in the ground... so... I dunno how strong that would be. :P

EDIT: Since we've got large B-doubles using our freeways, the walls were modified so they stop the truck at 110kph (soon to be 130 if people get their way). :P
New Horizons Productions

empyreal

The tapered wall i was referring to was the height adjustment as you come to an overpass.   Where the wall gains atleast 40cm in height.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Back with another development update, as promised. ;)

Nothing too exciting yet, but proof that there's multiple ramp interface pieces that will be included with the RHW v20 release.  I managed to get the MIS Diagonal Puzzle Drag Starter functioning properly, so it's now possible to have the ramps shoot off at the diagonal. 

The coding I used on this will also be transferable to making fully diagonal ramp interface pieces as well--the diagonal aspect will be quite a bit more functional all across the board with the v20 release.

I've also successfully completed some more RUL revisions that stabilized the draw from the Entrance ramps--nothing to see there, but it means that certain other features can be more easily put in place.  Certain other features which will be revealed soon.  ;)

empyreal, welcome to SC4D, and those were some fascinating links you posted--thanks for sharing them!  I stared at them for a good couple of hours, and also got myself acquainted a little more with the 400-series highways.  Pretty awesome stuff.  It's given me some ideas for new features as well.   

Well, that's it for this update.  I will be back with even more soon.   ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Shadow Assassin

I suggest making the ramp longer, though. It looks weird coming off like that.
New Horizons Productions

Shadow Assassin

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the latest version of the Euro RHW mod.
New Horizons Productions

Badsim

SA , you know better than whoever else here how I haven't been so far attracted by transit networks ... but this kind of work is truly brilliant and in front of this wonderful picture , how to don't be attracted ?  ::)

Yeah , great ,great ,great . :thumbsup:

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

M4346

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on November 08, 2007, 01:27:01 AMLadies and gentlemen, welcome to the latest version of the Euro RHW mod.

You do know that you are my hero now?!  $%Grinno$% You and Alex both!  &apls
New Horizons Productions