• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Eaton MD

Started by Sober, June 10, 2007, 11:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Kelvin that was a very good update  :thumbsup: I loved it... That parks i have to say is nice and peacful (for now) i bet lol... see you next time - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threeswept

Farmers Dozen...makes me wanna buy my quarts of milk, a dozen eggs and head back to the City. It seems a little desolate and a perfect past time for kids...cow tipping. Or, maybe a place to make a film like "The Sixth Sense".

Sober

Replies:
patfirefghtr: Yep, peaceful, but for how long? Thanks for visiting again. :)

threeswept: as much as I like the big city there's always something about those small towns that always gets to ya. Thanks for stopping by :)

Now, I'd like to welcome everyone to another small community, here is Fenswick County. Still mostly virgin land, but also lots of farming, this little town is on the outskirts of Ennawye, and as such will eventually have to succumb to urban sprawl. But for now it's a simple farming, small-town community of just over 1900 sims. The city is fairly young so I'm pretty sure we can just trample over their non-existant heritage and 'small-town traditions' fairly easy. With a bulldozer and a couple of Forklifts and put up a few offices. Or a mini-mall! Everyone loves mini-malls!  :) (kinda wishing I had an evil laugh emoticon right about now)

[size=0]The town square in the community in Fenswick county. Looks peaceful, eh? Well it
will be gone soon. Eventually. Soon.[/size]

[size=0]An overview shot of the farms in Fenswick County.[/size]

[size=0]The main center of business in all of Fenswick County, the town square, where most of the youngsters and teens of Fenswick Public School and
Fenswick Public High School spend their time, either hanging out a the park or working in the few shops and offices.[/size]

I took inspiration from the town square you would see in Gilmour Girls, the town circle in Stars Hollow. Mostly that it was just a town circle and the gazebo, I added a bit more to it using some park paths and adding a couple more trees and turning the town square park into more of a hill to place the gazebo on rather than just an arbitrary location to be deemed 'town square'.

My take on a sunken highway. This is part of the 340 series highway that runs through Eaton - the 340 runs North/South through Fenswick County and into Farmer's Dozen and is really only sunken through most of Fenswick. Unfortunately the company we contracted to do the walls of the sunken highway had a WDDD Clause (We Don't Do Diagonals), which meant we had to pay someone else to put up some diagonal walls. They don't look pretty, but they keep racoons and Bambi from running out onto the freeway. Owie. Fine print is what really causes roadkill. :P

This is where the 340 currently ends in Farmer's Dozen.

Just almost ready to set into motion some urban sprawl, more in the coming days ...

-Kelvin

Pat

Oooh Kelvin that was a very wonderful update sooooo much soo much.. The plaza/park for one and the sunken highway for the other great job... cant wait for the next update - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Great picture of the farms and highway also of the park! :thumbsup:

rooker1

Interesting MD for sure.  Nice farms and very interesting walls along side the highway.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Yoder7652

very nice start.  :thumbsup: Your industrials on the first page are most impressive...I'm going to have to keey my eye on this one!

spot

very, very,very nice industry and highway. And thanks a lot for link to highway walls  :thumbsup:

Sober

Replies:
patfirefghtr, bat, rooker1: glad you guys like it so much, cause at the end did I only realize how much time I spend on them!  $%Grinno$%
Yoder7652: Industrials are really nice yes. I really have to give Carson's Paradise the CAM treatment and show it off soon, thanks for visiting (and the reminder ;))
spot: Luckily for me it's just a habit for me, and saves them the effort of asking sometimes. Have fun looking around my somewhat still sparse MD.

Okay, so as we all know, the CAM came out so I thought I'd give my existing cities a makeover with CAM, and just wow, it completely kicked my population up, and even with my low population (700,000) the CAM still worked wonders. Plus with the new desireability/abandonment files in the CAM, I no longer have to spend so much time demolishing all those dilapidated buildings. So, without further ado, the newly CAM'd up Eatonville:

[size=0]Eatonville at the start of the CAM takeover, this is the business sector, which is now beginning to tower over the pier.

The current state of the business sector in Eatonville.

Central Eatonville, present day.

And this is, "The Wall", so aptly named by Eatonville residents. On the Eatonville-Farmer's Dozen border, if one takes a turn south, you will
encounter the high-rise residential area of Eatonville. The towering high-rises bordering the Eaton River of the south have been dubbed "The
Wall", as you can clearly see here.[/size]

Although I do like seeing skyscrapers, I only like it in moderation, so I will have to stem some of the growth by rezoning medium densities. I personally don't like seeing too many commercial skyscrapers pop-up in sometimes random spots, I would rather see them as they usually are encountered in the real world, clumped up, and only have the occasional skyscraper out in the middle of (almost) nowhere. Besides, I was planning on levelling a few sections of North and South Eatonville to make room for an East-West running highway. Not too far in, but just to try and catch as many people as I can, and to make preparations for future commuters. :)

-Kelvin

threeswept

Cool! It looks great! I agree about the skyscrapers. Unless a city is overly populated, it is fairly rare to see gigantic skyscrapers. I like them in moderation, too. And, it looks like you've been able to control them here. Great work!

Schulmanator

You have a nice area going here. I like the variety you have. Keep up the  ;D work!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Pat

paroch

Sober,

I've only just read your MD so far and wanted to say well done. I like the way you give us some background and your thinking on how they city is developing.  Great pics too, I'll keep checking for updates.

bat

That is a great update! Nice using of the CAM! :thumbsup:

Sober

threeswept: yeah, especially when there are too many skyscapers, I can't seem to find the roads anymore ...
Schulmanator: why thanks, and thank you for visiting as well, come back soon (and often!)
pat, bat: I believe CAM is the best thing since sliced bread. Okay, maybe not, but it's up on my list. Glad to see (read) you like it! :)
paroch: as long as I try to keep all my background information consistant :P Thanks for stopping by!

No real update yet, because what happens when you take summer courses? Exams! Don't worry, I shall be free by Thursday... oh it's so hard to keep away from SC4 and the CAM...  :'(  :'(

TheTeaCat

Sober

What a wonderful MD. Superb pics, fantastic layout, and a wonderful display of your skills &apls &apls

Definitely worth a 

I'll be back for more :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Sober

@TTC: Why thanks very much, lovely of you to visit. Be sure to come back again, or for today :)

Yes, I am off my SC4 hiatus (somewhat painful, but also tingly). CAM is still what I've been trying to master for a while but good news, I shall have at the end. Read onwards, and eventually you'll reach the bottom, where I may say something cool. Or maybe I'm just yanking your chain. But you won't know until you do. ;)

Eatonville

"The Wall" has gotten much bigger now, it seems.  And those seawalls are new. Not a stick of grim or green things on it.

Well, expansion has been good. Up North of the Eaton River, the expansion of Highway 341 (Runs East/West) finds it extended into the business district in North Eaton. This will allow future commuters to travel to Eaton to get to work. The north, anyways. Planning for another highway (or one North/South in Eatonville) is hard since, but fun since we get to blow stuff up to make room!

The North Eaton CBD is just a right turn away...

While still in the North, you've already took the tour of the pier ending on Main St., but we have here a new plaza on the Eaton River. It's a place to just cool down, or grab a bite (and drink) before heading back to the grind.

But we can't ignore the South End of Eaton either.... let's take a drive across the river. It seems that the (sea)walls near "The Wall" have made the area seem more enjoyable and desireable. More people are coming out to just hang out while watching the river rush below them.

Here, there huge mess of skyscraping (hopefully the sky has an itch) buildings (as some would call skyscrapers) make up the smaller, but just as bustling business district in South Eaton.

Unlike the North though, the cliffs over the ocean in the South are not as rough or tall, and there is even a small recess that almost resembles of a shore is present. Of course then, we take advantage of this by building Oceanside condos and other residential buildings galore. We did seem to run into a bit of a problem with that, though.

Not a particularily good idea to have the tall buildings in front block the nice ocean view for everyone else. Obviously whoever was really in charge of this was always sick for picture day and the class pictures. Maybe for being freakishly tall?

Here we have another park just north of the oceanside expansion.

But now we're out of Eatonville. Enough of playing with the CAM. Back to basics, or well, back to one of the food baskets in Eaton. Without food, well ... life would be pretty boring, if not really short. And importing food is pretty much highway robbery.

Welcome back to...

Fenswick County

Last we left it, it was just a small community. But my, what's this?

More farms seem to have come up. Good for us, variety is the spice of life (except we seem to have misplaced the spice farm somewhere). In the second shot you can see Highway 342 running though Fenswick (East/West) into Ennawye. Seems like the farming community is looking good.

But wait....

What's this?

Offices appearing? Is this what we feared? Urban sprawl? Already?

But back to the big picture...

I've almost hit 1 million! So looks like I'll have to do something special to celebrate this (soon to be) exciting occasion!

-Kelvin

nedalezz

1,000,000 is one heck of an accomplishment considering how real your city looks. Love the overview shot, and loved the update!

Pat

Kelvin a very fantastic update for a comeback and welcome back woohoo... WOW im inspired to really work on my region and start a fresh with it cause ive been glitching with CAM and i bet thats my problem... I cant wait to see more of Eatonville and more of the bread bowl of fenswick County either - pat

bat

Fantastic looking new pictures! Also a wonderful looking region overview! :thumbsup: