• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Reddonquixote's Melbourne BAT Thread

Started by reddonquixote, April 05, 2015, 05:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bipin

That lighting is quite spectacular indeed!  &apls By the way, I have made this place my new home, Reddonquixote. I'd encourage you to join us over here more often, for it's occupied by a wonderful group of people, many of which I am sure you already know.

Unconstantean

reddonquixote

Thanks everyone  ;D

Bipin - Yep, you'll be seeing a bit more of me :)

Vester - I'll do you a deal... If you make a Melbourne Trains and Tram for me I'll make the Copenhagen building for you  :P

Here's some street props I've made -

Takes a bit longer than I thought!
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

noahclem

Beautiful looking props  &apls   I suggest that for the trees the base of the tree is in the center of the model so regardless of which way the tree is rotated the base is in the same place, allowing it to line up with the tree plot for example. Trees themselves are very pretty! Are you planning seasonal versions?

vortext

Great collection of props! And I'd also like to know if the trees will come in seasonal liveries, that'd be really great!  :thumbsup:

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

weixc812

Quote from: vester on April 09, 2015, 03:16:26 PM
May I suggest a Copenhagen high rise, one that is still being constructed.

Quote from: reddonquixote on April 13, 2015, 02:44:52 AM
Vester - I'll do you a deal... If you make a Melbourne Trains and Tram for me I'll make the Copenhagen building for you  :P

Ok, if you just cooperate and we'll get two wonderful BATs(Mod) in one step  :thumbsup:
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

reddonquixote

Noah - Thanks for the tip!

Noah & Vortext - No, I hadn't considered seasonal variations for the trees, but.. why not! I've had a go, let me know what you think?

Here's a couple more props. I've also brightened up the trees, and made seasonal variations:

Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

vortext

Love it!!  :bnn:  &apls

The summer green might be a tad too bright and/or saturated, though it's always tricky to tell without seeing it ingame.
time flies like a bird

epicblunder

Looking good   :thumbsup:

Quote from: vortext on April 14, 2015, 06:40:20 AM
The summer green might be a tad too bright and/or saturated, though it's always tricky to tell without seeing it ingame.

I agree.  It would probably be a good idea to get these in game and set them next to girafe's tree to do some trial and error tweaking to get their saturation close.

Bastet69008

Wowowow , haven't been in sc4devotion for a while but god, it was worth it! This is the best street prop pack I have seen in a while. As an HD fan, I'd even say these are the best streetlights I have seen in SC4 period.

You should also put this one on Simtropolis  ;) Awesome job mate! &apls &apls &apls :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

romualdillo

Great props!!! Awesome level of detail!  &apls

noahclem

Looking awesome  &apls  I think the seasonals turned out great--though I hope you'll do one of the little tree as well. If it's not too much trouble some snow-covered versions would be really nice. There's not much available in that area though admittedly there's not a lot of us making snowy scenes ;)  I don't feel like I have a good idea for color/saturation etc so it's hard for me to say which I prefer but I remember Xannepan changing the color of his trees more to match existing content than because he preferred the color.

reddonquixote

I know there's limitation with game palette but I'm really wanting to try and get that bright green look of Collins Street trees (Below).

Absolutely, I'll check them out in-game to make sure they don't look like candy-trees, but for my recreation these will be as bright as I can realistically get away with.

However, for the prop pack, I will release a more 'game-friendly' version as well for those that would prefer to have that.

Oh, I'm thinking the seasonal trees should have less leaves on them as well. I'll see what it looks like.

Snow trees... yeah, could give it a go but I'm not sure how I would go about making them TBH. I'll give it some thought...

Collins Street trees (not sure the name of them, does anyone know?)

Thanks for commenting.. more props to come :)

vortext

Quote from: reddonquixote on April 15, 2015, 12:51:18 AM
I know there's limitation with game palette but I'm really wanting to try and get that bright green look of Collins Street trees (Below).[...]
Collins Street trees (not sure the name of them, does anyone know?)

Looking at the bark in google street view I'd say it's a Platanus and specifically the London Plane tree which is used a lot in cities, and Australian cities are no exception.

If you wish to recreate that particular species you need to alter the bark as it's too brown currently, plantanus have greyish, spotted bark.

Also keep in mind the picture you posted was taken on a sunny day, though it's true these trees have a pretty bright green color indeed. Furthermore they take on rather bright yellow and orange colors during autumn, so you may want to steer away from the brownish color the model has atm.
time flies like a bird

belfastsocrates

Those street props look fabulous, really lovely work.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

noahclem

With such a lovely street-scape it's not hard to imagine why you'd want to make a recreation of the city.  Looking forward to helping out with the transportation end of the recreation ;)

Regarding the trees, as others have mentioned it's really hard to say whether or not your colors are "game-friendly" without actually seeing them in game, though it is nice to hear that if they do seem not to match you'll release a different variant. For a snowy version I'd imagine something very similar to the leafless version but snow-colored. I tried looking for the snowy version of Girafe's birches for an example but couldn't find them  &mmm  Don't worry about it if it's too much trouble.

epicblunder

Quote from: reddonquixote on April 15, 2015, 12:51:18 AM
Absolutely, I'll check them out in-game to make sure they don't look like candy-trees, but for my recreation these will be as bright as I can realistically get away with.

You can probably get away with making them really bright.  There's some surprisingly bright stuff out there that looks good.  Here's a quick palatte check of some of the brighter good looking stuff in the game: (click for full res)

Clockwise from top left: girafe's lindens, VIP poplars, VIP aesculus and fagus for contrast, c.p.'s spring models for larch, aspen, poplar (and summer for the smaller larch).  Some of girafe's small stuff in the center.

Some of my favorite tree models in the game are c.p.'s spring larch and aspen.  The bright light green makes a nice contrasting pop to the surrounding standard greens.

I really look forward to seeing how your street trees turn out in-game.      ;)

jdenm8

I think key is really in keeping the colour slightly desaturated. The trees that look out of place are, in my experience, all oversaturated.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

reddonquixote

Wow, thanks so much for everyone's input on these trees. Some of you are real tree connoisseurs! I'm very flattered you would take any interest in my poor-cousin trees when there's already such an amazing assortment of trees available.  :D

After several days of fiddling around, I think I've got something I'm happy with. Mine are the ones in the middle, an assortment of Girafe trees across the top, and CPs Ponderosa Pines at the bottom. I was trying to get a pretty close match to the Ponderosa pines, I think these had a pretty good saturation and brightness compared to what I wanted to make.

I finally got a brighter seasonal tree as well that I'm happier with. There was a weird thing with the material I could only get different shades of brown, but I've fixed that now.

I really look forward to hearing your feedback  :thumbsup:

No luck with making a snow version yet, but I did find one by CP though.

figui

looking really good. fallen leaves for the autumn trees would be quite nice  ::)
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________