• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Industry lot: Employees without commuters?

Started by Fluggonaut, August 01, 2022, 01:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluggonaut

Hello,

I appear to have created a situation where commuters are unable to reach a lot without it becoming abandoned. The situation:

The grey building on the left side is the industry lot in question, it grew rather nicely next to the freight train station on the right side (brown building) so I combined them into a nice-looking complex via some filler lots, including the TE one that is connecting the small street. Zone view for a complete overview:

I didn't realize until much later that the grown industry lot is now not actually directly connected to a road anymore and wonder why it continues to work somehow. It has plenty of employees:

... but no actual commuters:

The street shows the same, nothing is passing through there.

So what is going on here? I would expect the industry lot to either become unreachable (with that beautiful marker above it) and then abandoned after a while or accept the TE lot as a working connection for commuters of some sort.

I even tried to replace that grass strip between the industry lot and the truck parking lots with some combinations of bus stop and/or pedmalls (as I vaguely remember some interaction between puzzle pieces and TE lots), to no effect.

At the end of the day, I am absolutely fine with hundreds of factory workers arriving via helicopter every day, it just seems a bit unnecessary.

Tarkus

I've seen this happen many times (particularly in the quick-and-dirty test cities I make for testing NAM features in development), with both Industrial and Commercial situations.  It's perfectly normal based upon how the game's demand system works.  Residential needs jobs in order to grow, but Commercial and Industrial do not necessarily need residents in order to grow, provided the demand is there.  I suspect once some residents in that city tile (and the immediately adjacent ones) decide that's where they want to work, that you'll see some actual sims start commuting there.

-Alex