• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kj3400

I don't have a steamship. Also isn't that a bit excessive? :P

Still, I'm looking forward to the release.
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

AngryBirdsFan436

Are we going to expect the good ol' "imminent" word from Alex on our way to the release? :P :P $%Grinno$% :D Or it's no longer needed because the release date was announced? :D :P $%Grinno$%
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

Tarkus

I'm too busy with RL and trying to get the last bit of stabilization in to bother with "imminent".  There's still so much to do.  And as we reiterated many times in the wake of announcing the release date (which, I should add, we may not continue doing), stuff's going to get cut from the feature set (which is also why we won't release a feature list).  There will probably be some P57 stuff that won't be stabilized until a later release.

-Alex

Jack_wilds

Take heart Tarkus and the entire NAM-Team...

as your labors are not in vain nor unappreciated...

the anticipation is growing and crunch time can be vexing -yet for all that, trust you guys have a great game plan on how to manage it all and releasing what when...

try to not let the noise bug you all too much, just stick to the plan you guys have chosen... and then, after the 'break-in' period, the use and merits of announcing dates can be revisited...

Trust all is good despite the challenges being faced and that everything originally intended and planned, the things that gotta be included will be and with time to spare...

Thank-you all again for your collective dedication  :)   &apls

firefighter57

What he ^ said!   

I am always left speechless when i look at what you guys do.  The fact that you guys have so much love for the game and for modding that you put so much time and effort into this. 

All I can say, Thank You.  You've changed (and continue to change) Sim City more then any game developer could ever imagine. 

Haljackey

This might take your mind away from the release date...

I did a SC4 stream today where I talked about NAM 31 and SC13 while putting the finishing touches on a major highway / interchange made with RHW 5.0.

http://www.youtube.com/v/PJxvPLj71mk
http://youtu.be/PJxvPLj71mk

Alternate/higher quality link: http://www.twitch.tv/haljackey/b/370569187

Ya I know it's long, but its just something to keep in the background.

It's an exciting time in the SimCity community :)

Patricius Maximus

There's only 5 days left until the release date (plus or minus a few hours). Don't break down in the home stretch. I've built quite a few freeways and expressways with RHW 5.0 in the past month and I must say I'm quite satisfied with the results, taking into account what I have to work with. The new features will help quite a bit come March 1.

As for the features that will not be included in NAM 31 due to time constraints, I think it's safe to assume that those features will be included in the next release. For the record I admire the NAM Team's dedication to their promised release date - this world would be a better place if more people had that kind of dedication.

EDIT: I don't just use RHW for expressways and freeways. I've also used it for ordinary arterial roads and two-lane rural roads. I wonder how many other people use the RHW in this fashion... (as the go-to network, I mean).

j-dub

Guilty as charged, I mean initially it was rural, I liked using those in the fields, instead of the regular curbed and black pavement, I did not so much when I was within city limits, but that changed when it was made more into a suburban interstate interchange system.

Swordmaster

Time for something light-hearted in this thread. Try to do this with RHW 5.0:

Cheers
Willy

six9nc

EDIT: I don't just use RHW for expressways and freeways. I've also used it for ordinary arterial roads and two-lane rural roads. I wonder how many other people use the RHW in this fashion... (as the go-to network, I mean).

Yeah I do for rural roads.  I try to recreate small to medium sized cites that have 2 lane state roads(highway like NC 24) that lead to them.  Once the highway reaches the outskirts of town it turns in to either a 4 lane divided or a 4 lane ave-boulevard depending on how big the town or city is.  Once the road(highway) leaves the city it reverts back to a 2 laner if the city is isolated or not part of a metro region.  Sort of like the many small cities that that dot eastern North Carolina.  It makes the game fun trying to build a continuous network of 2 lane rural, 4 lane rural, 4-6-8 lane expressways.
"The man who sleeps on the floor never falls out of bed"...Martin Lawrence

itsacoaster

Quote from: six9nc on February 25, 2013, 08:10:49 PM

I do.  In cases where a major arterial has few intersections and ought to have a high speed limit (say, 45-50 mph) I use RHW and then convert it to avenue TuLEPs for the intersections.  If the opportunity ever arises to do it, I would use a RHW-6C and AVE-6 TuLEPs the same way, though it would be odd in real life to have that concrete barrier in those situations.  :D

spot

i like using it where i dont want sidewalks. Pretty much everywhere except downtown and the neighborhoods. Building it american :).

That said, wish i had the option of no sidewalks on tulep pieces.

Patricius Maximus

Quote from: itsacoaster on February 25, 2013, 08:32:17 PMI do.  In cases where a major arterial has few intersections and ought to have a high speed limit (say, 45-50 mph) I use RHW and then convert it to avenue TuLEPs for the intersections.

I do that often myself, though I use 2-lane roundabouts in lieu of intersections about 95% of the time.

QuoteIf the opportunity ever arises to do it, I would use a RHW-6C and AVE-6 TuLEPs the same way, though it would be odd in real life to have that concrete barrier in those situations.  :D

Many of my arterial roads are 6 lanes, and often they are made into RHW-6C expressways, occasionally downgrading to AVE-6 for intersections or when the concrete barrier isn't desirable. Although it's certainly unusual, I've driven on one arterial road with concrete barriers, and I didn't find them to be strange or bad at all. However, I've never seen concrete barriers for more than 2 miles or so, and the arterial was close to expressway status (only a couple of driveways on the 2 mile stretch).

gn_leugim

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 25, 2013, 09:39:55 AM
Time for something light-hearted in this thread. Try to do this with RHW 5.0:

Cheers
Willy

that's actuality one of my most common layouts for residential areas :P

AngryBirdsFan436

Quote from: itsacoaster on February 25, 2013, 08:32:17 PM
Quote from: six9nc on February 25, 2013, 08:10:49 PM

I do.  In cases where a major arterial has few intersections and ought to have a high speed limit (say, 45-50 mph) I use RHW and then convert it to avenue TuLEPs for the intersections.  If the opportunity ever arises to do it, I would use a RHW-6C and AVE-6 TuLEPs the same way, though it would be odd in real life to have that concrete barrier in those situations.  :D

Erm, you forgot to convert mph to km/h! :P The NAM Team understands more of metric units than US customary units.
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

Tarkus

Quote from: AngryBirdsFan436 on February 26, 2013, 07:27:06 PM
Erm, you forgot to convert mph to km/h! :P The NAM Team understands more of metric units than US customary units.

That's not entirely true.  I knew exactly what he meant, and I suspect just about every non-US/non-UK NAMite understood as well.  There's no standard here in this thread.

-Alex

Patricius Maximus

Interestingly, the American budget sequestration goes into effect on March 1, the same day as the NAM 31 release. We only have 36 hours or so before both occur.

AngryBirdsFan436

Well, it's February 28 in my time. (Philippine Time/UTC+8) In my prediction, NAM 31 will be released tomorrow afternoon or evening (In my time of course). Any idea what time will it be released? :)
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

Tarkus

Nope.  All we're going to give is a rough timeframe of March 1st on Pacific Standard Time (UTC-8).  It'll be released when it's released, on that day.  We will not answer any questions asking about more specific details.

-Alex

Swordmaster

Oh by the way, did we ever mention the NAM team is following the Julian calendar?

QuoteConsequently, the Julian calendar is currently 13 days behind the Gregorian calendar, so that, for instance, 1 January in the Julian calendar is 14 January in the Gregorian.

I hope you can all wait another two weeks.

Cheers
Willy