• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Violins77

I know it has  been asked before multiple times, but some of the information is conflicting.

I just want to know wich networks are connected together in NAM? From what I can understand, the subway, elevated rails, and GLR are all the same network, because in Simcity RH, there was a building called "subway to elevated rails" and because from what I can read, GLT uses the elevated rails extension and there is GLT to subway transition. I haven't played much with these options yet because I want to understand properly before.

What I don't understand is why the trams look different than the subways and elevated trains if they use the same network? Shouldn't they be the same train (altough they look really cool). If someone could explain to me I would really appreciate. I know this game is 9 years old and this community is ultra hardcore, but I thank you for helping a noob.

buddybud

Quote from: Violins77 on February 13, 2012, 12:40:46 PM
I know it has  been asked before multiple times, but some of the information is conflicting.

I just want to know wich networks are connected together in NAM? From what I can understand, the subway, elevated rails, and GLR are all the same network, because in Simcity RH, there was a building called "subway to elevated rails" and because from what I can read, GLT uses the elevated rails extension and there is GLT to subway transition. I haven't played much with these options yet because I want to understand properly before.

What I don't understand is why the trams look different than the subways and elevated trains if they use the same network? Shouldn't they be the same train (altough they look really cool). If someone could explain to me I would really appreciate. I know this game is 9 years old and this community is ultra hardcore, but I thank you for helping a noob.

glr and el are actually the same network. glr is just el pathed at ground level. Subway is it's own network. The default maxis el to sub transition is an traffic enabled lot that allows sims to switch between the networks. Its pathed to give the illusion of subways going up onto the el but its actually more of a transfer station.

not sure what the glt is though. someone else can probably answer that

Violins77

Quote from: buddybud on February 13, 2012, 12:51:33 PM
Quote from: Violins77 on February 13, 2012, 12:40:46 PM

glr and el are actually the same network. glr is just el pathed at ground level. Subway is it's own network. The default maxis el to sub transition is an traffic enabled lot that allows sims to switch between the networks. Its pathed to give the illusion of subways going up onto the el but its actually more of a transfer station.

not sure what the glt is though. someone else can probably answer that

Actually, this is my bad, I meant GLR all along, I don't know why I wrote in GLT two times after (probably T for Tram lol!) but I really mean GLR. Thanks for the explanation. It makes me understand a little better. But what is the point of connecting subway and el trains than?

Rady

Quote from: Violins77 on February 13, 2012, 01:01:23 PM
But what is the point of connecting subway and el trains than?
To be able to switch from (expensive to build and maintain) subway line to (cheaper) el-rail.
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

lrb

Quote from: lrb on February 11, 2012, 08:38:01 AM
I didn't know where to post this, it's transit related so I'll post it here:
When I'm in UDI mode, I normally free-drive instead of being snapped-to-road. Though, when I turn corners in free-drive mode, I usually cannot make it around the corner without going on the sidewalk. Is there a way to change the turning radius so I can make it without going on the sidewalk?  ()what() I don't want to have to use the snap-to-road option.

-lrb

Anybody know??    ()sad()
Simtropolis: lrb2_
Steam       : lrb2_

Grneyes

Quote from: lrb on February 17, 2012, 06:55:50 PM
I didn't know where to post this, it's transit related so I'll post it here:
When I'm in UDI mode, I normally free-drive instead of being snapped-to-road. Though, when I turn corners in free-drive mode, I usually cannot make it around the corner without going on the sidewalk. Is there a way to change the turning radius so I can make it without going on the sidewalk?  ()what() I don't want to have to use the snap-to-road option.

-lrb

Anybody know??    ()sad()

Well, the site's been down for a few days so give it awhile.

lrb

Tarkus

I'm not even sure what properties would effect that, or if it can really be changed.  There is some UDI tie-in to the Automata Simulator, but to my knowledge, most of the effects are related to Snap-to-Roads situations. 

The NAM Team doesn't really do anything with UDI tuning, and I don't think it's even been mentioned since I've been on the team (5 years as of this month).  An automata modder might have a better idea, but even then, I really don't know, unfortunately.

-Alex

z

When I'm in UDI mode, I normally free-drive instead of being snapped-to-road. Though, when I turn corners in free-drive mode, I usually cannot make it around the corner without going on the sidewalk.

Does this happen no matter how much you slow down before the turn?

lrb

Quote from: z on February 18, 2012, 01:36:30 AM
When I'm in UDI mode, I normally free-drive instead of being snapped-to-road. Though, when I turn corners in free-drive mode, I usually cannot make it around the corner without going on the sidewalk.

Does this happen no matter how much you slow down before the turn?

It happens no matter what, if I'm slow or fast.

Also, if anyone has any reccomendations on where else to post this, I would appreciate it.

zcyre

I installed the NAM into my plugin folder, ran the game and try to build the new roads and every time I select a road, the game closes.

Any help would be great.

thanks,
Zcyre

DkNukMe

HI,

I have SC4 Deluxe v1.1.641 and I decide to install the NAM v30.
But I have an Issue concerning railway. They are packaged and written by "simcity.com".

After some research on forums and web, I'm unable to resolve this point. But I see that these files are missing :

│ ├── zzz_Dual_Rail_Texture_Maxis_Upgrade.dat
│ ├── zzz_Dual_Rail_Texture_NAM_Upgrade.dat
│ └── zzz_Dual_Rail_Texture_STR_Upgrade.dat

Could somebody help me to find the appropriate patch including these missing files ?
Thank you

DkNukMe

Tarkus

Quote from: DkNukMe on February 18, 2012, 10:10:21 AM
But I have an Issue concerning railway. They are packaged and written by "simcity.com".

After some research on forums and web, I'm unable to resolve this point. But I see that these files are missing :

│ ├── zzz_Dual_Rail_Texture_Maxis_Upgrade.dat
│ ├── zzz_Dual_Rail_Texture_NAM_Upgrade.dat
│ └── zzz_Dual_Rail_Texture_STR_Upgrade.dat

Could somebody help me to find the appropriate patch including these missing files ?
Thank you

It kind of sounds like you downloaded either an outdated or mispackaged NAM from a non-official distribution site.  At present, the only sites that are officially distributing the NAM are here (SimCity 4 Devotion, via the LEX) or ModDB.  (Simtropolis' NAM "download" is merely an HTML file linking to those two mirrors, as the STEX dropped its maximum file size to 20MB, which the NAM exceeds.)

-Alex

DkNukMe

QuoteIt kind of sounds like you downloaded either an outdated or mispackaged NAM from a non-official distribution site.  At present, the only sites that are officially distributing the NAM are here (SimCity 4 Devotion, via the LEX) or ModDB.  (Simtropolis' NAM "download" is merely an HTML file linking to those two mirrors, as the STEX dropped its maximum file size to 20MB, which the NAM exceeds.)

-Alex

Hello

Thank you Alex, I have deleted all the mods installed on my computer and I have reinstalled the official distribution get on "SC4 Dev" via the LEX. So it work fine now.

Thank you again, DkNukMe

sneekypetepuma

I Hope that this is the right forum for this question.... Is it not possible to have left exits and entrances to the US Dual Deck Highway Network.. and I know that its possible with UK version, but I would think that having both options available to both networks would be outstanding ..  Maybe with the upcoming Project!!!????

jondor

The DDRHW-4 currently only has shoulder side exits and entrances.  Median side exits and entrances will likely be coming in a future release, as usual no guarantees about where and when.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

jdenm8

Quote from: sneekypetepuma on February 27, 2012, 11:41:37 PM
I know that its possible with UK version

No, it isn't. Exits become entrances and vice-versa, but the side of the road does not change.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

sneekypetepuma

Jdenm8... I'm certain that I didn't make myself clear... I believe I asked this question at Simtropolis before and I was told that perhaps I meant, when talking about left exits and entrances, that I was referring to the UK version. but then as now I wasn't. I believe my question was answered and appreciate any and all responses.. Your work is tremendously boon to this game, one without I would never even play...

Tarkus

We'll be adding ramps for the "other side" of the DDRHW next release cycle.  They're easy enough to make.

-Alex

bremner19

I looked all over for this, and I am hoping someone can help me  ()sad()  I datpacked all my files and made a mistake and included NAM 30.  I uninstalled it and reinstalled NAM 30, and now I'm noticing my automata is not showing congestion as it once had before.  I am banging my head on the wall in confusion.  (What did I do????).  I chose the radical_24hr, and Im noticing its not showing a great deal of cars and when it do show its the standard traffic (switching from both sides during rush hour).  Please help me someone.  Please accept my apologies if this was answered before.