• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

APSMS

Quote from: Tarkus on November 23, 2013, 01:01:38 AM
And those L3 and L4 networks pretty much exist for the sole purpose of high, sweeping ramps for stack interchanges, which, in our research, never exceed 3 lanes, and by virtue of being in a fully access-controlled environment, carry traffic only in a single direction.

<snip>

There haven't been any plans to extend the options for L3 and L4 networking beyond what's already there.

-Alex

I was worried that would be the answer...well, it was worth asking, at least. I'll have to find a workaround.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Kuewr665

I did think about L3 and L4 RHW-2 for HOV lane ramps in stack interchanges. Oh well.

Anima

I've seriously tried sifting through the 147 pages of posts to try and find an answer to my query but couldn't. My apologies if i did miss it. (it's rather late at the moment.)

Either way, I downloaded the latest version of the NAM after i reinstalled my sc4 and it's CC and even though it appears all of the roads, ploppables etc. are there in the transit menu, the texture of the Road and Avenue are different from what i remember them to be.
Prior to this install the Road and Avenue used to get turn off arrows on their intersections and overhanging traffic lights whereas now they don't.
I've also noticed that in comparison my sims are once again complaining about commute time when they are living smack dab next to a commercial building and complain via jobless suitcase icon; which had me absolutely at a loss until i noticed the texture of the roads and avenues.

Have i installed it wrong? have the textures of the Road/Avenues changed since the latest update and no longer show the arrows on the intersection? (which would be a downright shame by the way, i loved that little detail)
or is something else amiss?

Kind regards.
-Anima :)

Swordmaster

Running the installer, it's recommended to choose "Custom installation" and go through the options carefully. Close to the bottom of the item list is the "Turning Lanes" option, which you need to select. Having done so, the Avenue turning lanes should appear automatically; the Road turning lanes will only show up when you plop a single OWR tile in the intersection.

Cheers
Willy

APSMS

^^^What Willy said.

Also, have you played around with the TCST at all? (The traffic simulator editing tool). It is possible that you have the "Park and Ride" option checked, though it wouldn't explain why Sims aren't walking to work. Generally speaking, how is the rest of your city's demand doing? It is possible that the Sims are too wealthy for the available jobs, or that there aren't enough jobs period.

eagle74

I installed NAM 31.2 & did not include the long radius curves for rail.  Now, I have no curves for heavy rail, monorail, elevated rail, & ground light rail.  Did I miss something on the install options?

z

Quote from: Swordmaster on November 24, 2013, 04:18:34 AM
Running the installer, it's recommended to choose "Custom installation" and go through the options carefully. Close to the bottom of the item list is the "Turning Lanes" option, which you need to select.

This is necessary only if you've manually turned off turning lanes in the past, so most people will never have to do this.  I think the key is that road turning lanes are no longer automatic, but need the OWR piece plopped in their intersection.

Living right across from a commercial building is not in itself sufficient to satisfy the job requirements of Sims.  The open jobs must correspond to the Sims' wealth and education levels.  Anima, please see the post Workforce and Occupation Demands (Drives) by RippleJet to understand these requirements better.

Anima

I've reinstalled the NAM and tried the custom install; The avenues now create the turning lane arrows like i remember them, yet the roads still don't.
I tried messing around with the TuLEP lanes but once i put down an intersection i got quite miffed with the fact i then have to keep puzzling the rest of the road with these pieces because the intersection does not accept regular draggable roads to connect.
If this is a permanent change i plead to have it put back in. I really, really enjoyed that detail whereas now i feel forced to sit around and puzzle pieces together.
If it isn't.. then, i don't know what i did wrong....

Regarding the unemployment icon-doobers-thingies .... the reason it struck me as odd is prior to this re-install i never had this problem unless i had a severe imbalance in commercial zoning. Now it appears that no matter how many buildings i zone to be commercial, or upgrade existing low/medium density, there will always be several houses complaining about commute. It didn't matter if i put a busstation, subway station in their backyard that connected to basically every single road, they would still complain.
It feels as if the parameters have become insanely picky and demanding to a point i can't seem to do anything right.

Tarkus

Quote from: Anima on November 24, 2013, 01:16:25 PM

I've reinstalled the NAM and tried the custom install; The avenues now create the turning lane arrows like i remember them, yet the roads still don't.

See z's post above.  The Road Turning Lanes will no longer automatically appear when you build a Road x Road intersection.  (There never were turning lanes for Road x Avenue intersections).  Instead, you'll need to click over the Road x Road intersection with the One-Way Road tool, and this will make the turn lanes appear.

There's a couple reasons this change was made--the first being that it gives the user a bit more control over where the turn lanes go, and the second, which had a bigger hand in prompting the change, was that the automatic Road Turning Lane coding was poorly encapsulated from a software design standpoint, and it interfered with a lot of newer NAM features that people who use the turning lanes also tend to utilize, such as the Network Widening Mod (NWM) networks, and the new Draggable Fractional Angle Roads.

-Alex

Anima

Quote from: Tarkus on November 24, 2013, 01:21:02 PM

See z's post above.  The Road Turning Lanes will no longer automatically appear when you build a Road x Road intersection.  (There never were turning lanes for Road x Avenue intersections).  Instead, you'll need to click over the Road x Road intersection with the One-Way Road tool, and this will make the turn lanes appear.

There's a couple reasons this change was made--the first being that it gives the user a bit more control over where the turn lanes go, and the second, which had a bigger hand in prompting the change, was that the automatic Road Turning Lane coding was poorly encapsulated from a software design standpoint, and it interfered with a lot of newer NAM features that people who use the turning lanes also tend to utilize, such as the Network Widening Mod (NWM) networks, and the new Draggable Fractional Angle Roads.

-Alex

I wasn't talking about Avenue x road intersections but simple avenue x avenue & road x road intersections. Neither would show turn lanes, but after the re-install only the avenue x avenue did.
So somewhere either the installer didn't install properly or i did something wrong because the turn lanes only appeared on the avenue after i did the custom install.

Software design standpoint is understandable, i guess i'm just one of those people that doesn't utilize the NAM to it's full extent. I just like it for the detail as mentioned and the fact it made the inhabitants a bit more lenient in their demands, which now seems even worse (to me).
I tried the draggable roads that weren't default but it made the game crash and understand none what so ever of the NWM, so tend not to use them.

Is there an older version than the current one that i can install so i can have it back to the way i enjoyed it?
because at the moment i feel sort of forced to do it in a way i don't like, it feels too many hoops to jump though to get the result which was easily obtained before.
Not disrespecting the ones that do prefer it, to me it just has too many bells and whistles, hoops and obstacles for the small amount i enjoy playing.

I appreciate the help.
regards,
-Anima

z

Quote from: Anima on November 24, 2013, 01:16:25 PM
Regarding the unemployment icon-doobers-thingies .... the reason it struck me as odd is prior to this re-install i never had this problem unless i had a severe imbalance in commercial zoning. Now it appears that no matter how many buildings i zone to be commercial, or upgrade existing low/medium density, there will always be several houses complaining about commute. It didn't matter if i put a busstation, subway station in their backyard that connected to basically every single road, they would still complain.
It feels as if the parameters have become insanely picky and demanding to a point i can't seem to do anything right.

Although you clearly have a problem here, I can't see that it's due to the NAM for two reasons:  1) The pathfinding in the NAM traffic simulator has not been changed for years; the last change was four years ago, which resulted in significant improvements for everyone.  2) We have not heard of problems of this sort from other users.

This leads me to believe that your problem stems from a mod that you have installed that conflicts with the NAM.  In such a case, reverting to an earlier version of the NAM would not help.

Swordmaster

For the turning lanes (fourth try):

Click with the one-way-road tool in the road x road intersection.

As for the bells and whistles, all of these are optional. The NAM is fully backwards compatible and includes all previous features, so there's no reason to go back to previous versions, none of which are still supported or available for download from the official places.

Cheers
Willy

Anima

Quote from: z on November 24, 2013, 02:02:35 PM
Although you clearly have a problem here, I can't see that it's due to the NAM for two reasons:  1) The pathfinding in the NAM traffic simulator has not been changed for years; the last change was four years ago, which resulted in significant improvements for everyone.  2) We have not heard of problems of this sort from other users.

This leads me to believe that your problem stems from a mod that you have installed that conflicts with the NAM.  In such a case, reverting to an earlier version of the NAM would not help.

The only other mods i have installed is the SPAM. I new i had to make sure no other mods i would install would have any traffic or commute related things or else it would conflict. I guess i'll have to play around with it more and see if it's just me who's overlooking things. which is easily possible, i am sure of it.

Quote from: Swordmaster on November 24, 2013, 02:04:04 PM
For the turning lanes (fourth try):

Click with the one-way-road tool in the road x road intersection.

As for the bells and whistles, all of these are optional. The NAM is fully backwards compatible and includes all previous features, so there's no reason to go back to previous versions, none of which are still supported or available for download from the official places.

Cheers
Willy

Thank you. Sorry if you felt you had to repeat yourself four times, i just didn't catch on to what you were meaning before. Still seems like alot of hoops to jump though if i have to do this to every single intersection but i suppose it can't be helped and NAM team can't please every single person individually. At least i got this figured out now. :)

much appreciated to everyone who helped.

Kind regards,
-Anima. :)

APSMS

Road x Road turning lanes are now semi-automatic. Due to the fact that road takes precedence over One Way Roads (OWR) in the game's internal network hierarchy (just as dragging road over street converts it to a road, but not vice versa; the same thing happens to OWR, but not, say, to Rail), you will need to re-click on your road intersections (with the OWR tool) every time you redraw them or the road. it is a complication of using the OWR tool as an activator, but it is more desirable than the other alternatives (previous iterations prevented stoplights from working).

As an interesting note with TuLEPs, it sounds like you are plopping the puzzle pieces first, and then trying to drag to connect to your road network. What you need to do in that case is drag the intersection first, and then plop the puzzle pieces over the existing intersection. The road connections will remain and the whole network will be functional.

As for conflicting plugins, do you have the SPAM installed? There is a traffic simulator offered for it (though not included in the default package) that directly conflicts with the NAM.

EDIT: @Anima you got here first (responded while I was typing). Check and make sure you don't have the SPAM traffic mod, as it doesn't have network parameters for all of the new NAM networks and as such will prevent them from using a lot of the newer road networks like the NWM and other such stuff.

Anima

Quote from: APSMS on November 24, 2013, 02:37:53 PM
EDIT: @Anima you got here first (responded while I was typing). Check and make sure you don't have the SPAM traffic mod, as it doesn't have network parameters for all of the new NAM networks and as such will prevent them from using a lot of the newer road networks like the NWM and other such stuff.

No, i only got the Agricultural part of it for the seasonal crops and desirability factor. I did look at the traffic part of the SPAM but as soon as i read it wasn't compatible with any other mod -but- the original spam i looked no further into it.

eagle74

Is there a way to change the display size of the TSCT?  Mine shows full screen vertical, & I have to hide the taskbar to barely be able to get to the save, reset buttons.  I have tried reinstalling it as well as changing the GUI setting (slightly better on System GUI).  The only thing that I can think of that may be causing this is that I had zoomed in on a webpage with control, scroll prior to the initial installation.  So, I uninstalled TSCT & ran a registry cleaner to get all the parts.  It did not help either.

Another question:  The side textures on FLUPS was not showing up (equivalent of colored boxes).  I read somewhere that these textures were related to PED malls.  So, I installed the malls & the FLUPS textures showed up. Is there another way to fix the issue?

memo

Quote from: eagle74 on November 26, 2013, 08:35:33 AM
Is there a way to change the display size of the TSCT?  Mine shows full screen vertical, & I have to hide the taskbar to barely be able to get to the save, reset buttons.  I have tried reinstalling it as well as changing the GUI setting (slightly better on System GUI).  The only thing that I can think of that may be causing this is that I had zoomed in on a webpage with control, scroll prior to the initial installation.  So, I uninstalled TSCT & ran a registry cleaner to get all the parts.  It did not help either.

I see your problem. The TSCT is open source on sourceforge, so in theory everyone can modify it to their needs. I made this small change for you, so you can try this unofficial version which permits resizing of the window: [link].

Another question:  The side textures on FLUPS was not showing up (equivalent of colored boxes).  I read somewhere that these textures were related to PED malls.  So, I installed the malls & the FLUPS textures showed up. Is there another way to fix the issue?

All you need are the FSH files 0x5526710A-0x5526710E. You can copy them to a new file in your plugins and, thus, don't need the ped malls anymore. I'll suggest the NAM team to include this change into the next version of the NAM to get rid of this interdependency.

eagle74

Memo,
I am not sure how to install the TSCT zip.  Do I just extract it to the same folder where TSCT is located?

Also, I made a patch of the FSH files for FLUPS textures, & it works fine.  Thanks for your help.

memo

Quote from: eagle74 on November 26, 2013, 01:50:08 PM
Memo,
I am not sure how to install the TSCT zip.  Do I just extract it to the same folder where TSCT is located?

I don't remember how and where the TSCT is installed by the NAM installer, but anyway, the zip file contains everything you need. You can extract it to any folder you want, so the location of the previous installation should work. It does not require any form of installation. You can start the application by double-clicking the .bat-file or the .jar-file.

eagle74