• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pja5529

I have been having an issue with the road-6 neighbor connection.  Last month I started replacing several of my busy avenues with either ave-6 or road-6.  However when I build my road-6 connections, only the pedestrians traffic makes it through to the neighboring city.  The car traffic does not.  I am dragging the road-6 connection to the edge and then placing the road-6 neighbor connection on top, but its still not working and hasn't since I started using it.  I thought this would change when the Nam 32 was released so I never got help, I just waited cause I heard it was coming soon.  I downloaded the update yesterday and am still getting the same thing.  Is anyone else having this issue?

Pioneer

Wiimeiser

For some reason the L1 is overriding the onslope piece and replacing the data for that tile. I wonder if it's a limitation...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Pioneer on January 31, 2014, 07:06:37 PM
Darn it...
Quote from: Wiimeiser on January 31, 2014, 08:36:35 PM
For some reason the L1 is overriding the onslope piece and replacing the data for that tile. I wonder if it's a limitation...

No, it's improper usage. There's a critical piece of information that was mentioned last page, which was to never drag through the OnSlope piece. It's impossible to drag through the OnSlope piece using Road or OWR, but it's actually possible using Avenue, which is how the mistake can even happen.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Pioneer

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on January 31, 2014, 09:03:00 PM
Quote from: Pioneer on January 31, 2014, 07:06:37 PM
Darn it...
Quote from: Wiimeiser on January 31, 2014, 08:36:35 PM

No, it's improper usage. There's a critical piece of information that was mentioned last page, which was to never drag through the OnSlope piece. It's impossible to drag through the OnSlope piece using Road or OWR, but it's actually possible using Avenue, which is how the mistake can even happen.
Can you explain it in simple SC4 terms please

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Pioneer on February 01, 2014, 02:21:40 PM
Can you explain it in simple SC4 terms please

Never drag into the OnSlope piece, only stop right next to it. In other words, the way the Avenue is built here is exactly how it should be done for a FlexOST.

<INACTIVE>
-----

HappyDays

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on January 28, 2014, 03:36:45 PM
Even if users get used to it, by the time Flex development gets into full swing, they would be too disinterested by the prospect because they would be too used to the old system.

I disagree with your assertion that "People will be too used to an inferior crappy thing to move onto the much better thing that works better in every single way possible". When an obviously, provably better choice is offered, people take it.

QuoteThis is the same situation that happened with the Dvorak keyboard; Qwerty keyboards have been around for so long, over 100 years, that people have gotten used to it, despite the fact that Dvorak is a far more superior alternative to Qwerty that actually doesn't break your fingers.

Actually...

http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=356

Hopefully, this will be informative. Its source material, The Fable of the Keys, is also available online.

(For clarification: I am not challenging your conclusion (I agree with it, actually). I challenge the arguments used to reach it)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: HappyDays on February 01, 2014, 10:40:29 PM
Hopefully, this will be informative. Its source material, The Fable of the Keys, is also available online.

You're saying that neither keyboard is superior over the other, which is contradictory to my own experiences with Qwerty; I've had times where my hands would hurt from using Qwerty and switching from it has liberated me from that pain. Actually, I find that Colemak, the layout I use, is more superior than either Qwerty or Dvorak; in fact, the argument where neither Qwerty nor Dvorak is superior to each other would be true because I use something better than either one. I dare not elaborate on my experiences with Qwerty, Dvorak, or Colemak because it would be probably insanely long.

Quote from: HappyDays on February 01, 2014, 10:40:29 PM
I disagree with your assertion that "People will be too used to an inferior crappy thing to move onto the much better thing that works better in every single way possible". When an obviously, provably better choice is offered, people take it.

There's been already a few instances of people challenging the paradigm of using Flex pieces and a few instances of people requesting more puzzle-based pieces because the ability to make them is already there with the extant pieces. The issue is that there are no formal instructions on how to guide people in using these pieces properly. This may not be the case when a Flex-based system is the only option (such as the FlexSPUI and to an extent, Diagonal Streets), but if a Flex-based system exists alongside its puzzle-based equivalent and people can't find how to use the Flex-based alternative, there's a tendency to fall back to the puzzle-based equivalent. This is the challenge facing introducing Flex pieces, particularly now when these things are just being introduced. If a better option is available but people can't figure out, would they want to take it? If it were me, yes; I've been as daring as I was when I first found the NAM (never have I ever been cautious with the NAM), but short of conducting another NAM poll, I can't say the same for others or be able to confirm one trend or the other.
<INACTIVE>
-----

HappyDays

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on February 01, 2014, 11:43:17 PM
You're saying that neither keyboard is superior over the other, which is contradictory to my own experiences with Qwerty;

Further elaboration is not necessary.

QuoteI dare not elaborate on my experiences with Qwerty, Dvorak, or Colemak because it would be probably insanely long.

If you're willing to write it out, I'm willing to read it. Perhaps as a personal message, though.

QuoteIf a better option is available but people can't figure out, would they want to take it?

If the problem is that people do not understand the superior alternative, then it is not obvious in its superiority. It becomes the challenger of the maintainer of the new system to explain it. You may not know how, yet, but it behooves you to work towards a useful tutorial, or make the system so easy to use it will be much similar to using the Maxis transit networks.

Vlasky

I'd love if this one got fixed. Doesn't seem like a lot of work is needed.

My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

Tarkus

Quote from: HappyDays on February 02, 2014, 12:10:55 AM
If the problem is that people do not understand the superior alternative, then it is not obvious in its superiority. It becomes the challenger of the maintainer of the new system to explain it. You may not know how, yet, but it behooves you to work towards a useful tutorial, or make the system so easy to use it will be much similar to using the Maxis transit networks.

As the developer of these alternatives, I think the main issue is actually that the alternatives are still teething.  They have the promise to become vastly superior with further development, and they're at a state of being quite usable, but right now, they're still just promising.  From the developmental standpoint, we have a good idea of how the alternative will evolve to be vastly superior (and in fact, more similar to using Maxis transit networks).  But there are users who are accustomed to the static puzzle pieces, and want more of them, in absence of an alternative that is developed enough to solve everything right now.  As a result, they're skeptics.

-Alex

HappyDays

I can't see reason for the skepticism myself, although frankly the mere concept of transit puzzle pieces has turned me off whereas this new, Maxis-like concept is more inviting.

Besides, people will have their puzzle pieces until the day the new system is fully function, I imagine.

APSMS

Quote from: HappyDays on February 02, 2014, 12:10:55 AM
Quote from: GDO29Anagram on February 01, 2014, 11:43:17 PM
You're saying that neither keyboard is superior over the other, which is contradictory to my own experiences with Qwerty;

Further elaboration is not necessary.

QuoteI dare not elaborate on my experiences with Qwerty, Dvorak, or Colemak because it would be probably insanely long.

If you're willing to write it out, I'm willing to read it. Perhaps as a personal message, though.

QuoteIf a better option is available but people can't figure out, would they want to take it?

Not to add fuel to the fire, but it should be eminently clear after only cursory examination of the situation regarding NAM development of the superiority of draggable flex items, even if they are not the clearest things to learn how to use. Having tried to write documentation before for a substantially simpler project (a simple stereo amplifier) I can personally testify to the difficulty of writing/compiling good, quality instructions and documentation. This doesn't suffice for an excuse, of course, but the fact that documentation exists at all is a testament to the amount of work and free time going into the project.  Additionally people taking the better choice isn't at all the case. People are stubborn, and don't like change, so a little heavy handedness is necessary to ease the work of the devs from having to answer ridiculous questions, results, or complaints, and focus on the serious bugs at hand.

Some things are finicky at first, but man people seem  to forget that the NAM is in a continuous beta stage, and as such means that bugs and sometimes incomplete paperwork are par for the course. Considering the pay I'm very thankful they're still working for the public and not just for themselves so that they don't have to deal with us end users.

P. S. Please excuse the typos. I'm on my phone and the keyboard is going crazy on me. I'll clean it up later.

EDIT: cleaned!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Vlasky

Was this one reported yet? Draggable L0 to L1 road viaduct.

ps Why is nobody responding to my posts? am I doing something wrong?
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

Tarkus

Quote from: Vlasky on February 03, 2014, 09:10:51 AM
ps Why is nobody responding to my posts? am I doing something wrong?

You're doing nothing wrong--it just happened to come mid-stream in another conversation.  We haven't really updated the tracker since the full NAM 32 was released, and my plan is to basically comb through the threads in the coming days for that.

Quote from: Vlasky on February 03, 2014, 09:10:51 AM
Was this one reported yet? Draggable L0 to L1 road viaduct.

That's not a bug.  The Road viaducts do not support diagonal overpasses of any type at this point.

-Alex

joker09

a have a strange behavior when using bridges.
I dont use any slope mod, what is the best to NAM?
any ideia?

Indiana Joe

Quote from: joker09 on February 06, 2014, 12:25:21 PM
any ideia?

Make sure to use the On-Slope pieces instead of viaduct ramps when you have earth embankments like that.

joker09

Quote from: Indiana Joe on February 06, 2014, 12:45:16 PM
Quote from: joker09 on February 06, 2014, 12:25:21 PM
any ideia?

Make sure to use the On-Slope pieces instead of viaduct ramps when you have earth embankments like that.
Thanks for the tip. greatly improved the bridge but I saw a little elevation yet, the bridge is not 100% straight. I tried with 7.5m (right) and 15m (left) elevation and got same problem.
Now I downloaded and Installled ENN slopemod combined.

joker09

I think was something on the terrain or something noob kkkkkkk, now worked fine.
thanks for help

APSMS

Hi. I was wondering if this intersection was supported

and if it could be done in a future release? The same problem happens with GLR, too.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation