• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle74

Thanks.  I will flatten it out with some road stubs & see if it helps.

Maxim Vm

Hi,

I'm trying to drag this RHW L1 over RHW 6S but one side of the RHW 6S keeps resetting.

I tried both directions: dragging the RHW L1 over the RHW 6S, and vice cersa (dragging the RHW6S under the RHW L1), but the results are the same.

Anyone knows what to do?

mgb204

Looks like there is a stability problem for some reason. Click on the unaffected carriageway two tiles away from the overpass and that should fix it for now.

Incidently, could you please edit your post to reduce the image size. Just amend the tag "[img width=1200]" and it will re-size the picture to keep within the forum rules. This can be expanded by clicking the image should someone want to view the full size.

Maxim Vm

Thanks for the reply.
Quote from: mgb204 on July 03, 2017, 10:52:15 AM
Looks like there is a stability problem for some reason. Click on the unaffected carriageway two tiles away from the overpass and that should fix it for now.
I solved it in meantime by placing new starter pieces on the RHW 6S near the overpass and dragging the RHW6 again under the overpass.

Quote from: mgb204 on July 03, 2017, 10:52:15 AMIncidently, could you please edit your post to reduce the image size. Just amend the tag "[img width=1200]" and it will re-size the picture to keep within the forum rules. This can be expanded by clicking the image should someone want to view the full size.
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

Maxim Vm

Hi, I'm back with another question.

Where can I find the puzzlepiece for elevated train tracks over diagonal RHW-6S?

Tarkus

It doesn't exist.  Unfortunately, there is no way at present to cross a diagonal RHW-6S with the rail viaducts.

-Alex

Maxim Vm

Another day, another question.

I'm looking for the neighbor connection pieces for an elevated highway (RHW 8C), but I can only find the ground level RHW 8C. The elevated ones go up to RHW 6S and RHW6C.

I tried searching the forums but only found threads >3yrs old saying elevated neighbor connections are low priority, so I'm kind of hoping they made an appearance in the latest NAM :)

eggman121

Hello Maxim Vm

Alas the NC Pieces that are needed do not exist... yet.

A number of flex pieces are due to be created but the mechanics still need to be sorted out.

As the NAM evolves there will be more functionality but for now compromise will be needed for cities and indeed transport network creation.

In the next few editions of the NAM there will be substantial upgrades to the networks but for now what is there is all we can offer.

-eggman121

Maxim Vm

So my only options are to convert to elevated RHW-6C or go to ground level?

I noticed the elevated RHW-6C connector piece looks L2 instead of L1. Is this right? It also seems to be a little wider than the RHW itself.

BTW, you guys do amazing work. I enjoy every bit of learning this transport system.

Tarkus

It sounds like you're looking at the old deprecated height transitions--there is indeed an L2 over there, but no L1.  Those pieces are outdated, anyway, as there's a better solution that covers both--the FLEX Height Transitions, which are under the FLEXHeight button.  The FLEXHeight transitions will initially look like RHW-2 transitions, but unlike the pieces under the other button, these are overrideable, and can actually be used with any RHW network.  You can simply lay three of them across side-by-side, plug the RHW-6C into the ground end, and watch them convert to RHW-6C.

-Alex

Maxim Vm

Quote from: Tarkus on July 05, 2017, 03:00:35 PM
It sounds like you're looking at the old deprecated height transitions--there is indeed an L2 over there, but no L1.  Those pieces are outdated, anyway, as there's a better solution that covers both--the FLEX Height Transitions, which are under the FLEXHeight button.  The FLEXHeight transitions will initially look like RHW-2 transitions, but unlike the pieces under the other button, these are overrideable, and can actually be used with any RHW network.  You can simply lay three of them across side-by-side, plug the RHW-6C into the ground end, and watch them convert to RHW-6C.

-Alex
That is what I did, but I still need a neighbor connector piece, right? I found an elevated RHW-6C neighbor connector piece, but it looks like it's L2 and when zoomed it looks just a little bit too wide (standard "American" style).

Tarkus

Indeed, there is no neighbor connector for any of the L1 networks, and only a few "legacy" older ones for the L2 networks (the fact that it appears too wide is an indication it's an old piece).  We are planning to produce FLEX Neighbor Connectors, which would cover that situation (and whittle the number of required pieces down to just two), but that likely won't happen until NAM 37 at the earliest.

-Alex

eagle74

Need help with draggable GLR as I cannot get it to work.  Plopped the straight puzzle piece from the draggable menu & it will not convert el rail which is dragged from it in either direction.  Also tried the el rail to GLR piece with arrows & it will not convert el rail dragged from it.

Tarkus

If those are indeed the draggable items that are misbehaving, it's possible you somehow you ended up not getting the RUL code that enables the GLR conversion in your NAM Controller file.  I'd suggest re-running the Controller Compiler--you'll find it in My Documents\SimCity 4\NAM Auxiliary Files\Tools\Controller Compiler.

-Alex

eagle74

Thanks a lot!   None of the boxes were checked for GLR in the controller.  Not sure why as I checked the GLR box when installing NAM & all of the buttons for draggable were installed.  So, running the controller with GLR checked fixed it. Working fine now.

Another question: What is the proper way to construct a RHW-6C over RHW-6C overpass?  I tried using the flex heights, 3 placed side by side, & it constructs the overpass fine, but the 6C running underneath reverts to 3 tiles of RHW-2. . . & clicking around doesn't fix it.  Also, using a flex height for a road over RHW-6C overpass appears to cause the 6C underneath to revert to RHW-4.

Tarkus

I think it'd be helpful see the exact situation.  If things are very tightly packed, it creates adjacency situations that may not have code (or proper code).

-Alex

eagle74

Pic attached.

Tarkus

Thanks for the pic--that helps in terms of being able to replicate it here on my end.  Granted, I'm using a NAM 36 development build at the moment, but there's not been much change to the RHW side this cycle.  The result I got was a proper L1 x L0 crossing, though the middle tile on the L0 RHW-6C would sometimes try to deconvert on the other side of the underpass (fixable with click around).  I attempted it with varying distances between the underpass and the starter piece as well.

One thing that may work in your situation in the meanwhile is to actually put L0 RHW-6C starter pieces where you're crossing under the L1 RHW-6C.  It's not a well-known fact, but RHW starter pieces can actually have RHW intersections drawn over top of them--the support for that has actually been around since at least NAM 28.  Having tested that just now as well, I can confirm it is a stable solution.

-Alex

Kitsune

Has there been any plans to extend the overpass over starter to include diagonals ?
~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

That's a really good idea.  I think it was floated internally at one point a few years back, but there was some question as to whether or not it'd end up working with the RUL flags.  I just tested it to see if it would work, and my rough prototype for an RHW-4 version is currently partially working.  I'm waiting to see if I can get it fully working before we can officially call it, but it looks promising.

On a related subject, I know diagonal starters have also been suggested in the past . . . technically, some exist already for the L0 RHW-4 and MIS (due to the old static puzzle piece ramp interfaces).  If I can get the OxD-over-starter setup working, then the DxO and DxD should also be possible with those diagonal starters, at least in theory.  Getting diagonal support in better shape is a long-term goal on the RHW side (and with a number of other components as well).

-Alex