• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riponite

jdenmn8,
I love the concept, as long as you and the modding crew can pull it off.  I'm just amazed at what all of you folks have accomplished in the last few years.  Keep up the excellent work.   &apls  We truly do have an excellent game that is well beyond my wildest dreams.
Carl, the Riponite.

j-dub

@Jdenm8, does this mean that existing 4 lane pre-fab interchange in the public avenue intersections tab-ring will be fixed? You know, the one that is an avenue built off that one Maxis highway piece? I could not stand how the math of the Maxis cement on that interchange went into the avenue path ways.

jdenm8

No it won't be. I'm not touching any of the Maxis interchanges, I'll only be creating replacements from scratch based on current RHW versions of pieces.
It's a methodology I'm calling "Symphony", essentially making all-new versions of interchanges using existing RHW models. Once I've finished overriding the Ortho networks I'll start work on Symphony Interchanges.

Also, the Symphony Methodology will not be used with the RHW itself. It is completely against the RHW's design methodology.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

TheAttendee

Will12

Let me get this straightened out. It will be in the RHW download as a optional plugin?
It will replace the MHW (EL and G) completely including prefabs?
It will include textures and pathing for 4 lanes not 6?
Will textures and pathing be finished for road rail ave el MHW and RHW overpasses?

DAB_City

Quote from: Will12 on December 15, 2011, 12:43:09 AM
Let me get this straightened out. It will be in the RHW download as a optional plugin?
I thought RHW and the other NAM 'sub-components' will be merged into the NAM itself?

Sounds like that MHW replacement mod (I can't remember which one)! How is it going to work with the current/future variation of RHW?

Will textures and pathing be finished for road rail ave el MHW and RHW overpasses?
The Rail Over/Under RHW pieces still need a lot of work! And I thought that the Elevated Overpasses/FLUP pieces were going to be made at least partially dragable?

I look forward to hearing more about further NAM/RHW projects. ;D
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

jdenm8

Quote from: jdenm8 on December 10, 2011, 02:14:31 AM
It won't be a part of the RHW itself, but it will complement it and depend on it.

AKA, no.

Quote from: jdenm8 on December 10, 2011, 02:14:31 AM
Essentially this is a completely overridden Maxis Highway. Not a RUL override like the RHW, that's not possible on dual-tilers, it will completely replace the Maxis Highway. It will (eventually) override nearly all of the components of the Maxis Highway System.
Quote from: jdenm8 on December 11, 2011, 09:35:14 PM
I'm not touching any of the Maxis interchanges, I'll only be creating replacements from scratch based on current RHW versions of pieces.
It's a methodology I'm calling "Symphony", essentially making all-new versions of interchanges using existing RHW models. Once I've finished overriding the Ortho networks I'll start work on Symphony Interchanges.

Also, the Symphony Methodology will not be used with the RHW itself. It is completely against the RHW's design methodology.

Yes.

In the initial version, there will only be Ortho MHWY support, all combinations of overpasses involving Orthogonal MHWY (Regardless of GMHWY or EMHWY) will be overridden and supported.

I've also, out of a combination of laziness and buying Assassin's Creed Brotherhood for $28 on Tuesday, not done any work on it in the last two days. However, it's still far more complete now than in those screenies.
I think the only EMHWY intersections left to be overridden are the OWR, RHW-2, Wide RHW, MIS, NWM, GLR and GHSR ones. GMHWY has only had Road Viaduct Puzzle Piece and ERHW-4 done so far.

For example, I can now do this:

Will12

Forgot about the monolithic nam and that interchange looks really good!

Wiimeiser

I don't think Maxis highways could cross RHW before.
Two questions:
Will the RHW-4 override be draggable out of the MHW?
With the MHW Y Interchange will ou just be having the lanes split in two like the avenue one?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

GDO29Anagram

Let me emphasise something: All MHW interchanges will most likely be untouched and will NOT be modified!!! It's not worth the time and would be stepping into something we don't want people to request: Prefabs.

Quote from: jdenm8 on December 11, 2011, 09:35:14 PM
I'm not touching any of the Maxis interchanges, I'll only be creating replacements from scratch based on current RHW versions of pieces. (I hope you're also talking about the NAM's MHW interchanges, too, not just the defaults...)

-----
Quote from: Wiimeiser on December 15, 2011, 12:37:50 PM

The same way you can drag out ERHW-4 out of EMHW? I asked about the same thing to the other NAMites and I was told that dragging out ERHW-4 out of EMHW wasn't originally intended.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on December 15, 2011, 01:49:56 PM
Quote from: Wiimeiser on December 15, 2011, 12:37:50 PM

The same way you can drag out ERHW-4 out of EMHW? I asked about the same thing to the other NAMites and I was told that dragging out ERHW-4 out of EMHW wasn't originally intended.

It wasn't, but as it's been pointed out that there's no real reason to have an RHW-2/Maxis Highway connection, it probably makes more sense to do that, especially since the transition will be really clean with the re-scaling done as part of the MHW revamp.

JD can correct me if I'm wrong but on the whole MHW interchange side of things, I believe the intent is to have the revamped MHW interface with the MIS rather than using Prefabs, and the "Symphony" system is basically an intermediary "Legacy" feature dealing with users' existing prefabs.

We will not, however, be adding MIS interface support to non-revamped MHWs.  The scaling is way too far off.

-Alex

Jayster

So would this "re-vamp" of the MHW then make the current MHW interchanges useless?

Jayster

jdenm8

Oh, you'll still be able to use the default prefabs, I'll just never, ever, ever, ever, ever override them. Symphony is more a demonstration of how to use the MIS. They'll be bulky, hard to place and, by necessity, each interchange will be in multiple pieces. Kind of the point of it is to push users away from Prefabs and to the MIS System using the Type-A1 ramp interfaces. (I'm still waiting for IIDs for those too Tarkus :P ). I can't make them as an override of the default Maxis interchanges because they'll physically be a different size, so I can't do something along those lines without distributing a separate controller, something which is more trouble than it's worth.

You'll still be able to use the default interchanges, they'll just be as they are unmodded. Symphony will offer alternative matching interchanges.
And yes, Ganaram, I'm not touching the NAM-created counterparts.

mike3775

I hope I am not the only one who is lost in all of this jargon being mentioned  :)

As long as there is a detailed guide to using this system, I will give it a try when it comes out

ivo_su

I don 't know if anyone will encourage me or I would have refused in its infancy but some time ago to play around to do some transition MHW to NWM and I think it is quite possible. At this stage, however, are only willing textures and path file. ::)

- Ivo

Bergulf

Hi. I tried to build a highway outside my soon to become the biggest city I've ever made, when this occured:

A closer look:

The problem is that when the ERHW-2 are crossing diagonaly to the RHW-4, the textures on the ERHW-2 is gone.

I guess this should not happen!  :(

Tarkus

Actually, that is what is supposed to happen.  As noted in the Readme, the ERHW-2 does not support any overpass situations involving diagonals.  I'll quote the relevant part discussing the ERHW-2's draggable functionality:

Elevated RHW-2

The Elevated RHW-2 allows for draggable overpasses over the following networks:

Road (Orthogonal-only)
One-Way Road (Orthogonal-only)
Avenue (Orthogonal-only)
Rail (Orthogonal-only)
RHW-2 (Orthogonal-only)
RHW-3 (Orthogonal-only)
RHW-4 (Orthogonal-only)
RHW-6S (Orthogonal-only)
RHW-6C (Orthogonal-only)
RHW-8S (Orthogonal-only)
RHW-8C (Orthogonal-only)
RHW-10S (Orthogonal-only)
MIS (Orthogonal-only)
Maxis Ground Highways (Orthogonal-only)
Ground Light Rail (Orthogonal-only)
Ground High-Speed Rail (Orthogonal-only)
All other network crossings/intersections (including NWM) are not currently supported and are either prevented or will cause reversion to RHW-2 intersections.

Orthogonal-only means no diagonals.  You're seeing the reversion to a ground RHW-2 intersection.  Diagonal ERHW-2 overpass functionality isn't expected until a later release.

-Alex

Bergulf

Ok.. Sorry for bothering you... Thank you anyway for this amazing add!  :thumbsup:

TEG24601

Because of the limitations of RHW-2 elevated crossings, I always use Elevated Road, as it can cross, and seems a bit more realistic to me.

Tarkus

Quote from: DAB_City on December 15, 2011, 02:29:54 AM
The Rail Over/Under RHW pieces still need a lot of work! And I thought that the Elevated Overpasses/FLUP pieces were going to be made at least partially dragable?

There have been long-standing plans to make the Elevated Road/OWR/Avenue/Heavy Rail viaducts draggable.  The Rail is partially in place already on our end.

Draggable FLUPs wouldn't really make sense, as they'd have to be slope-conforming and subject to any slope mod you had in place.  Unless, of course, we somehow figured out how to override Subways.

-Alex