• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Viceroyalty of Perseus

Started by belfastsocrates, May 17, 2014, 06:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddonquixote

I'm not sure if I've seen this before either. What an amazing amount of work. I'm curious about the planning, do you actually plan these public spaces out or do they just evolve as you go? Are you basing it off anything real? It's really incredible. I want to go there! :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

vinlabsc3k

Impressive work!! &apls &apls &apls

I especially like the alternation between game screenshots and real photos of the building. :thumbsup:
But it would not hurt some captions. &mmm
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

belfastsocrates

Quote from: c.p. on June 20, 2015, 10:43:17 AM
Wow, somehow I've never seen this MD before. :shocked2: Your sims are lucky to have such impressive public spaces.

Welcome :) To be fair I think I'm a bit self-indulgent in regard to public spaces, there's perhaps a little too much but I've always aimed to create a city I'd like to live in or be proud to call home. The salary bill for the city gardeners street cleaners is horrendous though, takes an army of them to maintain everything  :D

Quote from: reddonquixote on June 20, 2015, 06:34:18 PM
I'm not sure if I've seen this before either. What an amazing amount of work. I'm curious about the planning, do you actually plan these public spaces out or do they just evolve as you go? Are you basing it off anything real? It's really incredible. I want to go there! :thumbsup:

It's a lot of work, that's partly why updates aren't as regular as I would like. I don't necessarily plan all of the public spaces, I do have a general plan for what I'd like in certain areas of the city tiles, I'm trying to make the city look cohesive and I hope the region overview gives that impression, I do still need to do some tidying around the edges though. Some public spaces have been planned to match with certain buildings or landmarks but generally the spaces evolve as I start building and I normally make a lot of custom designed parks to fit certain spaces or fill gaps.

It's not based on anything real no, it's just how I build my cities. They aren't the most realistic cities but I enjoy crafting them.

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on June 20, 2015, 10:38:06 PM
Impressive work!! &apls &apls &apls

I especially like the alternation between game screenshots and real photos of the building. :thumbsup:
But it would not hurt some captions. &mmm

Your wish is my command. I'll add captions to all non-captioned images over the coming days. Thank you for your kind words also.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

romualdillo

As always, magnificent city-planning!!!  :thumbsup:

belfastsocrates

Free time for game play has been really restricted lately but with the time I get I've been working on developing a light industrial area around the existing Perseus Rail depot. It'll be a mix of buildings devoted to research, some high-tech engineering/manufacturing and distribution/warehousing. This sort of development is out of my normal comfort zone but I'm hoping to have some preview images and possibly some finalised shots in the next week or so. The area I'm working on will actually be spread over the 'edge' of two tiles.

In the meantime I'm wary of inactivity and so I've also been working on adding new buildings and density to the area around the oldest parts of the University of Passau and the area to the west of the rowing club seen in previous updates. Here's just a small selection of images from that area. I'm having some rather frustrating CTD issues so I try to snap a few images when I can :)

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

mgb204

Quote from: belfastsocrates on June 21, 2015, 03:36:28 AM
Welcome :) To be fair I think I'm a bit self-indulgent in regard to public spaces, there's perhaps a little too much but I've always aimed to create a city I'd like to live in or be proud to call home. The salary bill for the city gardeners street cleaners is horrendous though, takes an army of them to maintain everything  :D

Well it keeps people in jobs at least, not to mention providing a nice open-feel within the concrete jungle, either way I really like the style you use. As usual lots of interesting details hidden within the pictures to be envious of, keep up the good work :)

kbieniu7

Well, I have never commented there - but I really like of the squares, all those parks and small gardens. With theese historical buildings the area looks so... royal and rich, I would say :) Just this huge parking lot... ah, you know... in a such place?  ::)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

c.p.

Great mix of old and new buildings.  And the parks and plazas look so inviting.

manga rivotra

Very good work ! &apls
I like the fact you make very vast places and public spaces for your citizens, it's adds a feeling of "Grandeur" in this city.
Very nice choise of bat too :)

belfastsocrates

I've been soooo busy with work and real life the past couple of weeks so I've not had a lot of opportunities to load the game. In the time I have had I've been lotting and creating a new railway depot incorporating a maintenance and train washing area for Perseus Rail's commuter trains. This depot will be located within a semi-industrial area which is home to some distribution centres/warehouses as well as high-tech industry and research facilities. It'll be my first foray into the creation of 'industrial areas' so I'm still learning and experimenting.

Here's just a small teaser of the railway depot......more to come though ;)

manga rivotra

Very good choice of building here ! and perfect loting, especially the train washing area   &apls &apls &apls

feyss

A shame I never posted here...

I totally like your landmarks and gardens.  :thumbsup:

For the last picture, it looks like something different, but I can't wait to see it.  ;)

Vizoria

Brilliant European-styled inner city. While the high-tech railway depot looks promising.

art128

Nice railyard, maybe a little bit of wasted space..

Looking forward to more of it.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

Excellent updates  &apls  The new industrial area and rail depot are looking very promising and I always like the way you lay out your cities. More importantly, a very warm, very belated welcome to the Best Sellers  :bnn:

We could really use someone new to moderate the MD area so these promotions don't go unnoticed....

vortext

Congrats on making the Best Sellers!  &apls

Nice updates, enjoyed the university in particular, very well put together! Nice teaser as well. Keep up the great work!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

belfastsocrates

Thank you to everyone that takes the time to read and comment on my MD, I'm thrilled to have made it to the Best Sellers, so thank you for your on-going commitment.  &apls

I've been having a complete nightmare in regard to stability recently, despite my attempts to resolve it. I've no idea what's causing it but it's making progress slow and somewhat saps my enthusiasm when I lose nearly created areas when trying to save. Any time I get a successful save, generally after only small changes to the tile, I then re-load the game and if it's corruption free I close the game and I make a back up of the city tile. It's very time consuming but it's the only way to prevent losing significant progress. It is somewhat disheartening but that's life I suppose....

I'm probably going to have to postpone further work on the industrial area because of this but that does give me some time to enhance the lots in LE and create some new ones. In the meantime I'm probably going to start detailed work on Passau Island and progress that significantly. As for further updates I'm afraid I'll likely have to restrict those to the already established university parts of the tile. I know that may be disappointing for those hoping to see more than just pretty buildings and parks but I am working on trying to resolve the stability issues. I may start showing work in-progress images of Passau Island to break up the potential monotony of pretty campus pictures  :D

Now for long overdue replies :)

@romualdillo - I'm certainly happy with 'magnificent'! Thank you :)

@mgb204 - Thanks Robin.I think I ought to do some closer images as a lot of details go get missed. I'm thrilled to hear your comments and I appreciate all the work you have done that has contributed to Passau looking for good  ;D

@kbieniu7 - Welcome! I know what you mean regarding the parking area. I detest parking lots but it's something I lack and normally ignore. I'm going to revise that larger lot though as you're right, it's too dominating. It does serve as a 'park and ride', to coin a UK term, for the GLR and a large space for the surrounding commercial buildings but I think it could do with some refinement. I really welcome the feedback

@c.p.- Thank you. I really appreciate the kind words

@manga rivotra- Yeah, there is an element of grandeur to the public spaces, I like to spoil my citizens with such spaces ::) I am trying to balance it with other development though so it doesn't dominate too much.

@manga rivotra- I'm very pleased you liked it! Looking forward to showcasing more of the area once I finish it

@feyss - Well firstly welcome to Perseus  ::) Thank you for your kind words also

@Vizoria - Thank you! I really appreciate your feedback as a master of such areas!

@art128 - Yeah I am concerned about having too much bare concrete, I am trying to strike a balance between 'stuff' and maintaining clear routes for lorries and vehicles. I am going to revise a few of those lots and add some additional props, activity and possibly MMP's

@noahclem - I'm really looking forward to overcoming current issues and progressing the industrial areas, it's something new and I relish the challenge. Perseus doesn't have a lot of 'dirty' industry but I'm trying to bring in element of 'grittiness' to break up all the parks and public spaces.

@vortext - Thank you :D I've really enjoyed making the sprawling university area, it does perhaps an idealistic pretty look to it, but I suppose that's just my style. I am very pleased you like it so far.

Vizoria

belfastsocrates: I used to have problems of unstable city tiles when they reached a certain threshold of size. There is a way of maximizing stability but at the cost of load times.

Go to the start menu and type in msconfig in the search box. This opens system configuration. Next click the "Boot" tab. Click "Advanced options", check "Maximum memory" and set it to 1/3 of your available RAM. The available RAM figure is giving inside the maximum memory box.

I run Windows 7 and this method has always worked for me and stabilised the game. I don't know why SC4 becomes more stable, all I know is that with this method it simply does become far more stable.

p.s. Also datpack your plugins to, datpacking works best when you have an organised plugins directory.
p.p.s. I would not recommend this method if you HAVE NOT datpacked your plugins.

belfastsocrates

I'm assuming you do that every time you load the game an then revert back to maximum when not playing the game? Sorry if that's a silly question.

To be honest I'd happily endure a long load time if it means I can play and save without all the drama. My game was relatively stable before I upgraded my RAM from 3 to 8 GB so limiting RAM usage during game play might help. I'll give it a go.

As for plugins, my folder is partly organised and partly messy but it's currently a whopping 13.5GB. I'd need a weekend to go through it and tidy it up. I've been using it for years so has a mix of dat packed and non dat packed plugins,

belfastsocrates

Hi fans   :bnn:

Just a wee quick image to keep activity and interest going. I'm still trying to resolve technical issues but new updates are being planned