• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

T-Interchanges

Started by Haljackey, November 26, 2011, 01:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Section 14: Directional and Semi-Directional-T Interchanges

This guide will help you create a high-capacity, free-flowing, high-speed, and compact three-way interchange known as the directional-T interchange. Directional T's are also called full Y interchanges. The semi-directional T is a variation on this type of interchange, with outer (in the right-hand drive case, right) exits instead of inner (left) exits like this one. This type of interchange has faster speed limits than those of a trumpet interchange, as no loops ramps are used and the curves are more direct and gradual. However, this has the disadvantage of having more bridges, which some people don't like to see.

14.1: Standard Directional-T Interchange

Back to the Table of Contents

Haljackey

Section 14.1: Standard Directional-T Interchange (Created by Moonraker0)

This guide will help you create a high-capacity, free-flowing, high-speed, and compact three-way interchange known as the directional T interchange.  Directional T's are also called full Y interchanges.  The semi-directional T is a variation on this type of interchange, with outer (in the right-hand drive case, right) exits instead of inner (left) exits like this one.  This type of interchange has faster speed limits than those of a trumpet interchange, as no loops ramps are used and the curves are more direct and gradual.  However, this has the disadvantage of having more bridges, which some people don't like to see.

This guide uses an interchange between two RHW-8S highways, but the same concepts apply to RHW-6S.  All ramps in this tutorial are RHW-4; no MIS ramps are used, which gives the turning movements a high capacity.  Click on the images for to see their full versions.

First of all, place two RHW-8 dual RHW-4 splitter puzzle pieces next to each other like shown.  This will be your terminating highway.

NOTE:  You can use the 45° curved splitters here, but you would need to push back the curves and take up a lot of additional space for the interchange if you do that.

Next, place a RHW-4 ground-to-elevated transition with the starter stub shared with that of the splitter, as shown:

Drag a ground RHW-4 45° curve to the right as shown, connecting it to the inner stub of the other splitter puzzle piece (first picture), then drag a curve to the left starting after making an overpass for the flyover ramp, as shown in this picture (the brown highlighted one):

NOTE:  To drag an ERHW over a diagonal ground RHW, drag the ERHW halfway over the diagonal ground RHW (only one tile of the diagonal), then do the same, starting from the other side, for the other half; do not drag the ERHW-4 all the way over the ground RHW-4 in one stroke.

Then plop a RHW-4 ground-to-elevated transition to end the curve.

Plop a RHW-4 ground-to-elevated transition in the location shown, and drag ground RHW out from it halfway under the ERHW-4.

Next, plop a 45° RHW-8 to dual RHW-4 splitter, noting the tile arrangement if you want to have a continuous curve like in the picture.  Drag RHW out from the orthogonal starter stub under the other half of the elevated RHW.  Also plop a smooth 45° RHW-4 curve to complete the 90° right turn, connecting the curve's end stub with the starter stub of the RHW-8 splitter you placed earlier.

Now continue the diagonal RHW you made earlier.  Make sure you drag it to the same length as I did in the picture, or else the overpass you will soon build won't work.

Then plop a RHW-8 dual RHW-4 splitter a few tiles away from the end of the diagonal, to the east, and finish that part by connecting the diagonal to the inner starter stub of the splitter:

You will need to click (but don't drag) once at this place to get the entire diagonal RHW to change to RHW-4:

Plop another RHW-4 ground-to-elevated transition on the diagonal's other side, and drag the two halves separately over the diagonal ground RHW, similar to the first overpass you made.  Plop a RHW-8 dual RHW-4 splitter with it and the ramp sharing a starter stub, then create RHW-4 45° smooth curves as close as possible to the already-existing diagonal RHW-4.  Connect these curves to the nearby starter stubs from the RHW-8 splitters, and connect them together with diagonal RHW-4 filler pieces.

Plop another RHW-8 splitter on the other side of the interchange, after the ground-to-elevated RHW-4 transition, and connect the through route between the two splitter pieces.

So there you have it, a compact directional T-interchange.

coasterguy771

The images don't work. Am I missing something?

CahosRahneVeloza

The images do work (on my end at least)  ;)

Coogan

So does this no longer work?  I've been trying to create this for 2 days now and it just doesn't want to work right.  Every time I to get the the left inner lane to go under the right inner lane (or vice versa), it just screws everything up.  I don't even know how to describe it; it's just a twisted up intersection on the ground at the point where they meet.

I can get it to work right if there's a space between them, but if they're right next to each other, forget it.

diego6677

Im sorry but I can't see any images in this thread. I can see the other pics in other similar thread.

Please can you re-load the pics if it is not too much trouble?

Thank you.
Diego

woodb3kmaster

I can see all the images just fine. Perhaps the server where they're stored was down when you posted, but has since come back up?

In any event, I've prepared a PDF version of this section of the guide, so that everyone can see all the images regardless of which image-hosting sites are online at the time. I also included my semi-directional T tutorial, which I posted to the guide submissions thread almost a year ago (but which has, so far, gone unnoticed). You can view the PDF here (clicky). Enjoy!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8