• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW Random Bridges

Started by HabLeUrG, April 20, 2007, 06:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HabLeUrG

Hey im a volunteer working at RHW, im making some bridges for this incredible tool  :thumbsup:
Im making it in BAT and Fukuda will configure it, thank you fukuda!
So will behind with this one (showing some pieces)

Im basing in making bridges like you find in USA at the gulf coast

sorry for this image  ;D that was the best I found...
soon will make that tall bridge

marcosMX

Finally the first bridge for RHW I see  :P

Travis

Good start. Will love to use these. Do the collapsed sections of the bridge come included?  :D

Tarkus

Very nice HabLeUrG! :thumbsup:  This is one of the things that the RHW has been missing which I hadn't started on yet (I still need to learn bridge modding :D), so I'm really glad to see two people as capable as fukuda and yourself working on it. ;)

-Alex

dedgren

Holy guacamole, BATmen!

SC4 is going to have roads and highways that will be the envy of the civilised world.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Gaston

Man o man,
    This is gonna be great.   Just what we needed.   That has been the one thing about RHW that is lacking.   (note: I ain't complaining).     Thanks for working on these for we who are challenged.   lol

---Gaston   
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

HabLeUrG

Here is the tall bridge I was talking about...

Only need to export it  ;D

tell me what you think... are the textures are okay? the modelating? anything?
12 titles long

lied, 24 titles long

sarungman

roller coaster?  ()what() (just kidding) ;D, i think there is sumthing odd with that bridge...... but what???
:::=:::=:::=:::=:::=:::

please wait for my return :D
-AsianEvolusioner AKA Sarungman

BigSlark

Hi,

The bridges look great so far, however, I have come across one small problem:

The center lines are usually dashed for passing, even at the top of the bridge. I'm not sure why that is, however, I would be happy to check the Roadway Design database at work on Monday. In case you were wondering, I work for the Mississippi Department of Transportation, who owns and maintains several bridges that cross bays of the Gulf of Mexico.

Have a good weekend.

Cheers,
Kevin

Tarkus

Hi HabLeUrG-

I'd say that it looks great for the most part.  There's a couple suggestions I would make though.  With the transitions between the sloped and level portions of the bridge, they could possibly be a little bit more gradual.  I'd also concur with Kevin about the striping.  In addition, there is also a little bit of a gap in the textures between the tiles, but that actually seems to add to the realism, as a lot of real-world bridges have seams like that.

Other than that, fantastic work, and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result!

-Alex

HabLeUrG

i dunno... just you tell me  &mmm

yeah those gaps add more realism, if you want me to fix it i could do it

edit: I fixed that dashed lines

sarungman

wow.... that's what i need!! i can see the whole bridge, and it's very great!!! but why is it only one line/one way?
:::=:::=:::=:::=:::=:::

please wait for my return :D
-AsianEvolusioner AKA Sarungman

Colyn

With the SC4 angle being what it is ... I think you could loose half of the support posts. Just my opinion.

Try a Smoothing Mesh on the road to get rid of the transition oddities.
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

Tarkus

HabLeUrG, personally, I'd keep those gaps, but if you were inclined to do so, you could eliminate them.  As far as what I meant with making the slope more gradual, here's an example:

That's one of the models I used for the RHWMIS, which I did with the Edit Mesh tool.

And sarungman, the reason why it's one way is because this bridge is for half of a 4-lane RHW, which can vary in terms of median width, and that is why the other two lanes aren't part of the model.  It's to retain the ability to separate the two sides.

-Alex

HabLeUrG

I smoothed, but i dunno is the scale is right...

Im basing this model from the Escambia Bridge near from Pensacola, Florida in the I-10

Tarkus: yeah I did that with the bases of the bridge, I dont know if are the pieces but I think is the texture...
edit a image:

edit2: about the pillars i think those are okay, that bridge have many of those, I have been to that place long ago I have seen it by my own eyes ;)

memo

I think that a problem will arise in the game. If you build two of these bridges next to each other, the won't run in the opposite direction, but in the same direction.

Tarkus

HabLeUrG, are the models you're applying the RHW textures to the same as the base?  If not, you may need to edit the mesh on those as well.  Also, make sure you allow more Length/Width segs.  It will increase the Polygon Count, but you'll be able to more precisely manipulate the slope at various points within the model.  You can find the option for that under the Parameters for the main shape (below the Edit Mesh menu):

And memo, I know that qurlix had been messing around with it before and ran into some problems.  There may be a way around it if the bridge were done as a normal ANT bridge in two versions, each going in different directions, which could be selected from the bridge menu.  I might be wrong, though. 

-Alex

jeronij

This are great news!!! New bridges are always welcome  :thumbsup:

I have some suggestions which I hope will help with the development. I would suggest you to make a beta render of the pieces as soon as possible and test the bridge in game. I am not sure about how these pylons (being so close) will work when their LODs go into the water.

About the upper curve, I would suggest to work a little more with the slope. We can still see the bends  &mmm

- good suggestion about the editable mesh Tarkus  :thumbsup: -
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

HabLeUrG

the problem I used a rectangle for it and extrude... so is it a bit different, i fixed the top and looks a bit better, do you notice the difference?  ???

I see it perfect for my eyes, dunno what else add..

Jeronij: okey will make a beta reender and will test it how it will look at the game (I already fixed the top) and will be working on the lods too  :thumbsup:

Anything else?

edit: another view of the bridge

what you think? do you like the bridge? i feel a bit  &mmm
A perfective view in BAT (is the height are right?)

jeronij

I think this is a great model so far. The top looks smoother now, but even so, i would try to make it again. Lets see if I can explain myself:

Lets simulate a similar situation. We must join these two sloped cubes with a smooth and nice lined piece:

Lets go to the Snap settings and select only vertex:

Change to Left view, and trace and arch between the two vertex you want to connect. Give it the angle you think is appropriated.

Now create a cube, long enough to fit all the arch's lenght.( more or less, you dont need to be extremely accurated  ;) )

Make sure you give the box enough geometry to work with.

Enough segments for this piece. Try to use a balanced number.

You can add an edit mesh modifier or convert the box into an editable mesh, to be able to go to the vertex subobject mode

Now we are in vertex mode, it is time to start moving some vertex....

Simply select the desired vertex and move them until they are alligned with the arch.

Take your time until you complete the first side....

And go for the second.... ;)

You are done  ;D .

Believe it or not, this is the result  ()stsfd()

It took me more time to create the tutorial that creating the piece itself, I mean, it is worth to try this before you consider your bridge finished  ;) . An extra half an hour will make this one a real beauty  :thumbsup:
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary