• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW Random Bridges

Started by HabLeUrG, April 20, 2007, 06:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaston

By The Way:

Welcome to page 2
HabLeUrG ,
This is deffinately coming along great.   Just one suggestion.    &ops   I think it still needs a bit more "softening".   It still looks a bit choppy at the slope transitions.     This is just a suggestion from someone who couldn't do this if my life depended on it.     This is fascinating to see happen.

---Gaston

Jeronij posted before I could post.    That is exactly what I was trying to suggest.    I am glad I waited a second before posting.
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Rayden

Edit: @Jeronij

I'm really amazed by your bat skills, specially because I still remember not that long ago over at ST, when you were still trying to learn your first steps with this tool. Since then, you really gone through that extra mile. Right now, I 'm convinced you're one of the most experienced batters around. &apls

mjig_dudy

This bridge is looking excellent, can't wait to see the finished version.

I agree with jeronij and Gaston on that it would look better if the top was a bit smoother, i have one question of jeronijs suggested method, Surely it would be easier to use the bend modifier  &mmm ?

jeronij

Quote from: Rayden on April 21, 2007, 05:49:57 AM
Edit: @Jeronij

I'm really amazed by your bat skills, specially because I still remember not that long ago over at ST, when you were still trying to learn your first steps with this tool. Since then, you really gone through that extra mile. Right now, I 'm convinced you're one of the most experienced batters around. &apls

Thanks R, but I am quite far from what you mention  ::) . I learn every day  ;)

mijig_dudy,  there are for sure many different ways to acomplish this. I just showed the one that works the best for me  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

callagrafx

Another (and I think simpler) method and which allows for easier alterations is using the LOFT tool.

Simply create a line that is the path of the bridge, with the flat and ¨hump¨

next, create the cross section spline (which can include the central reservation)

then pick the path, add a LOFT modifier and ¨get shape¨. 

The result:

You can alter the path steps to get a smooth arc

and you can alter the loft path to fix any errors in the path.

The beauty of this method is that it's quick (5 minutes max) and completely editable in that you can alter the loft cross section and the path.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

jeronij

Great method as well Cal  :thumbsup:  - when will we see some bridge of yours ....  :P

( do you see what I meant Rayden... ::) )
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Gaston

You guys make this look soooooo easy.    I'm not even sure what program ya'll are using.   LOL     Then again the only "computer training" I had was back in the 80's.      Yep, I can program in basic and use punch cards to do it to.    :D    Everything else I have learned has been on my own.    So I am still a bit lost.     &mmm     Thanks for showing how to do it with so much detail.     I MIGHT even be able to do it.   

---Gaston
白龍

WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

sarungman

wow..... jeronij and callagrafx..... those's are a great tutorials... :thumbsup:
:::=:::=:::=:::=:::=:::

please wait for my return :D
-AsianEvolusioner AKA Sarungman

BigSlark

For future bridge construction ideas, MarcosMX, check out the website for the new Biloxi Bay Bridge. The old Biloxi Bay Bridge was built in the 1950's and destroyed by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. I realize that a six-lane span isn't what you're making, its just for some more ideas.

Also, have you seen the website for the new Escambia Bay Bridge?

Hopes this helps in your bridge project and keep up the good work. I'm really enjoying watching the development of your bridge.

Cheers,
Kevin

Gaston

BigSlark,
    I used to live in Baton Rouge, many years ago.   (Before Katrina)     I never knew that the bridge was destroyed.   I have travelled across that bridge many times.    I have to admit, I am hit very hard by that fact.    First thing is that I didn't know!    That is incredible!   How could I not know that?   ()what()  I knew that the damage was VERY extensive but I never knew that the bridges had been destroyed.    It is only logical that they were based on the places they were located, but I just never thought about it.     It is a great loss.    Second is that the bridge is gone!    How can a bridge just be gone?     I cannot fathom the power that could have destroyed a bridge.   I am at a loss for words.

---Gaston
白龍

BigSlark

Gaston,

ALL of the bridges east of New Orleans to Pensacola were damaged during Katrina. The US 90 bridges were reduced to piers in most places and the I-10 bridges had significant pier damage. I-110 in Biloxi was closed for nearly three weeks due to damage.

The I-10 Twin Span from East New Orleans to Slidell completely lost its Eastbound deck and lost most of the Westbound deck. They managed to repair one span after canabllizing the other, currently LADOTD is replacing it with a pair of six-lane, high-level bridges.

Currently, LADOTD has all of the bridges across the islands between New Orleans and Bay St. Louis open and MDOT is rebuilding the US 90 bridges across St. Louis Bay and Biloxi Bay. The Pascagoula bridge suffered pier damaged but the deck was okay.

I'll post some pictures later.

Cheers,
Kevin

HabLeUrG

thanks callagrafx and jeronij for the tutorial  :thumbsup: &apls

I went to that place in 2003 in a trip to Florida, before Katrina, and im amazed the destruction that Katrina left...

fixed the bridge following the tutorial, I almost remake the entire bridge, tell me how it looks now, it looks better? do I need to fix something?

If anything is good, then I think is ready to export  ;)

Travis

Looking good! I've seen dozens of bridges like this around where I now live (Daytona Beach, Florida), and It fits perfectly with the RHW scheme.
My only suggestion would be to space out the supports a little, but otherwise it's ready to export. Keep up the good work!

DFire870

Quote from: Travis on April 21, 2007, 05:42:22 PM
Looking good! I've seen dozens of bridges like this around where I now live (Daytona Beach, Florida), and It fits perfectly with the RHW scheme.
My only suggestion would be to space out the supports a little, but otherwise it's ready to export. Keep up the good work!

Agreed. I think there are a tad too many supports on the bridge. IRL it would probably look fine, but as SC4's angles are from the top, it's too cluttered. (Like maybe take out every other support)
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

HabLeUrG

here are the .SC4 model files if you want, will be waiting now for fukuda to take those to configure...

Download here the model bridges

im thinking in doing some overpasses for the RHW like Rayka's overpasses...

jeronij

HabLeUrg, I have cheked the pieces and I found a relevant issue. You must give to all your pieces the Group badb57f1. Also every piece must have a determinate Instance number. If you are working with Fukuda, I suggest you to ask him for these ID values. You will have to render the pieces again, making sure they have the mentioned Group and Instance. If you dont do this, Fukuda will have to change many many values at hand with the Reader...  ::)

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

HabLeUrG

jeronij: I attached all the pieces into a one piece and exported it... so should I change the name of that piece to badb57f1? if it i have to reexport it again  :-[

will be working today in some rural overpases (like in USA interstates) so give me any ideas how i could make some...

soon will make another thread about wide RHW curves   ;)

Tarkus

Yes, HabLeUrG, you'll want the Group ID to be badb57f1.  You don't need to re-export it to do that, just change it in iLive's Reader.

And [off-topic], that second pic you posted of an RHW--that's I-5 just south of Eugene, Oregon at the interchange with Oregon Highway 58.  That's right in my neck of the woods. :D [/end off-topic]

-Alex

jeronij

Exclusive Instance ID's are also needed for each piece to avoid conflicts.

I reserved a range for the bridges to be released in this site, but since is Fukuda is helping with the modding, I dont know if he has a IDs range reserved for that bridge. If this is not the case, I can provide the ID's but I need to know how many pieces will you need for this bridge.

Btw, I explain how to set the Group and Instance ID for every piece in this tutorial  ;) :
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=930.0

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

apostate

Wow cool

When I lived near tallahasee I crossed that bridge many times. I havent been back that way since katrina either

I don't think it needs that many pillars. I think you are getting that impression from the optical illusion of going up a tall bridge and it seeming super steep with a wall of supports underneath

kinda like this pic:

From the front, it looks steep:

but from the side, its a lot more gradual: