• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

blade2k5's Real World+Fantasy Maps

Started by blade2k5, April 02, 2008, 02:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which China Maps Would You Like To See Released

Fuzhou
Ningdai
Shantou
Zhao'an North

Schulmanator

Gotta say I really like the Cape of Good Hope map. I d/l'ed it and will do something fun with it... not even sure what yet. But, it is just a very compelling map I just HAD to have!  :)
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

M4346

Quote from: blade2k5 on December 15, 2009, 03:57:17 PM
Now now boys, lets all get along here and not argue $%Grinno$% with one another.  After all, you both live in the same country and should be able to find common ground ::)

What's there to find common ground on? The facts speak for themselves :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

blade2k5

Here's the pictorial showcase of the Morocco maps.

Ceuta: 5x7 or 20km x 28km

Casablanca: 10x7 or 40km x 28km

Tangiers: 6x7 or 24km x 28km

These three maps will mke their to the LEX in the next few days. :thumbsup:

Coming after these, I'm returning to the U.S. with a series of maps from Alaska which will be called the Somewhere In Alaska [SIA].  There will be a variety of terrains to choose from ranging from flatlands, mountainous and a mixture of booth on maps featuring from coastal and inland.  Pictorials of this series coming soon.  Also coming from the U.S. are new versions of old maps and some new one not featured here or on the LEX.  Places that got a re-do were Portland and Jacksonville, in which I expanded the areas covered in both the originals.  Others will include the cream of the crop of both big and small cities across the country.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

blade2k5

The above maps pictured are now available on the LEX.  Enjoy :)

dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

ldvger

Blade-

I have a map I need help turning into a region.  As a mapper, this project may present you with some new mapping challenges to learn/solve, as it is an undersea topographic map created using sonar rather than the usual DEM maps acquired from the USGS.  As such, while there is good data regarding topographic contours (at 200 meter intervals), the grey scale images have a lot of "noise" in the graphics.  I have a pretty good color gradient map as well, but again it is flawed by "noise".  So, interpreting the maps into a game region, while in many ways I think could be done in the "standard" manner, would still require quite a bit of artistic license on the part of the mapper to smooth things out.

The original maps are in PDF format, but I have been able to save them as JPG's.  I may be able to save them as PNG's, if that would work better, or even in bitmap format.  Or, if you can work with the PDF's, that would be fine, too.

This thread has been kinda quiet for the last week or so, so I am hoping you are still checking back to see what's up. 

On a side note, how does one join the NHP team?  I would dearly love to learn how to make maps and then make maps for others (and myself).  I've tried using the tutorials both here and on St and always just ended up with a terrible mess, but I am willing to try again if someone, anyone, will take the time to walk me through my first map.

Lora/LD

blade2k5

I have 15 U.S. based maps, the cream of the crop of the more that 150 places NHP has mapped of the U.S., ready for release here on the LEX.  Only problem is, I can't decide which three to release first, they're all so good.  So, I decided to let you decide which three get released first.  Here's how it works:

1. You pick the three you like best by posting your choices.

That's it.  In a couple of weeks, I'll tally up the score and the three top vote-getters will be released at a LEX near you.

San Francisco-Oakland CA:  With this smaller version of the Bay Area, you can build your Golden Gate connecting San Fran with Sausolitos and Marin County.  Map size 30 km x 26km.

Quad Cities: Davenport & Bettendorf IA., Rock Island & Moline IL.:  Map size is 32km x 28km

Anchorage AK: Map size is 24km x 28km

Portland Metro OR: Map size is 32km x 42km

Evansville IN: Map size is 28km x 28km.

Charleston SC:  Map size is 24km x 20km.

New Orleans LA:  Map was made with Heblem and it's size is 48km x 44km.

Jacksonville Metro FL: Map size is 40km x 40km.

Atlantic City NJ: Map size is 12km x 16km.

Harrisburg PA:  Map size is 28km x 28km.

Fall River MA: Map size is 16km x 20km.

Wilmington NC: Map size is 16km x 24km.

Astoria OR:  Map size is 20km x 24km.

St. Petersburg FL:  Map size is 24km x 40km.

Fairbanks AK: map size is 16km x 28km.

Those are your fifteen choices, have at it and thanks for dropping by.

ecoba

1. Fall River, Massachusetts.
2. Quad Cities, Iowa-Illinois.
3. Astoria, Oregon.

Ethan

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

canyonjumper

1. Atlantic City
2. Portland
3. New Orleans
plus Vancouver ;D

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

mrbisonm

1. Astoria
2. Anchorage
3. Atlantic City

...strange...all three start with an A.
I love mountains, lakes, sea, rivers and valleys, so Astoria is the first on my list.

Excellent work on the maps, I think I must have half a dozen or so from you.
;)

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

marsh

portlandexpos04

blade2k5

Quote from: marsh on February 25, 2010, 03:52:24 PM
1: Vancouver!!! ;)
2:Portland Oregon
3:Atlantic City

Quote from: portlandexpos04 on February 25, 2010, 04:07:13 PM
1. Vancouver!!!
2. San Francisco-Oakland
3. New Orleans

Pick another map, I'm releasing Vancouver along with whatever three are chosen here. :thumbsup:  And thanks to all six of you who have cast their votes ;D

portlandexpos04

Quote from: blade2k5 on February 25, 2010, 04:12:37 PM
Pick another map, I'm releasing Vancouver along with whatever three are chosen here. :thumbsup:  And thanks to all six of you who have cast their votes ;D

That Vancouver map is just plain awesome.  I can't wait.  Here are my revised three:

1. San Francisco-Oakland
2. New Orleans
3. Portland, OR

Could I also take this opportunity to sneak in a request?  Would it be possible to get an accurately-scaled map of Guam? 

marsh

Quote from: blade2k5 on February 25, 2010, 04:12:37 PM

kk
1: Portland, Oregon
2: Atlantic City
3: Acorage (forgot how to spell it ) :P

SC4BOY

I picked up one of your maps the other day (San Diego).. it was geographically nice and well modeled, but I was puzzled by your use of 100m "cliffs" for shoreline. It makes any kind of handling of shoreline terraforming very difficult and time consuming. Any reason you have settled on the 100m depth? As far as I can tell the game is completely oblivious to anything deeper than 15m. It is so completely uniform that I assume you have a method you use to set water to 100m deep in the png or prior to making that. Is there a technique for readily modifying the water depth in the sc4m file prior to making the region? I don't know if this is your standard for all maps or just happened to be how you did this particular map.

blade2k5

If you have SC4Terraformer 1.1 [can be found here on the LEX I believe] there is a function in the Global Tools section called a 'compressor' where you can manipulate elevation levels.  All you have to do is click on the 'compressor' icon and a little box pops up on the screen.  You'll find three elevation options, low, unchanged and high.  Just change the low elevation number to what you want [making sure it's under 250M], then in the 'unchanged' slot, type in 250 and leave the high elevation as is, click on compress and that will raise your sea floor without affecting the elevation on the rest of the map.

Hope this helps.
;)

SC4BOY

Great suggestion.. I'm pretty familiar with SC4TF (in fact I even loaded the region into it to look at it before I posted), but I didn't see anything that seemed to apply..(and I'm not familiar with the "custom tools".. I understood those way back when I was working with Wounagain on the initial release of SC4TF, but its gone from my memory.. LOL)  but I'll give your suggestion a shot.. thanks. I don't recall a "compression" function, but I may have seen it and not  understood what I was looking at.. hehe. I did re-layout the city tile configuration as I didn't want to use all large tiles, but that's just a personal preference.

edit.. hmm.. I may not have the new 1.1 release.. maybe that's why.. :)

wes.janson

Charleston SC
Wilmington NC
New Orleans LA

Those are my votes. I reeeeeally like the Charleston one. All those little inlets and such would make for some fun development. I am, of course, awaiting the Vancouver map because I`m a local boy and have always wanted a decent one of the Metro Vancouver.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!