• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Amazonia

Started by Kjammi, December 08, 2011, 01:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjammi

Amazonia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the country. For other uses, see Amazon (rain forest).

Kingdom of Amazonia

Founded in: 1920, when explorer Nils Kardashian bought the first bit of land
in the Amazon rain forest. He payed the indians two sets of pearl necklaces.

Capital (and largest city) Islands Central.

Official language(s) English
Ethnic groups 
90.8% American
~3% Asians
~1% Nordics
~5,2% other (2011)
Government    
The only country in the world that is owned by a corporation.
It has a unitary parliamentary democracy, and is ruled by a Mayor.
The Mayor is elected by the corporation and can sit for life if he/she is up to it,
but if the mayor wishes to end his/her sitting period, a new election is held.
Area
-  Total 449,964 km2 (57th)
173,745 sq mi
- Water (%) 8.7
Population
- 2011 census: 20,000

Currency    
Dollar (USD)

Date formats yyyy-mm-dd
Drives on the right Since 3 September 1967.

Since 1 July 2009, six other languages are officially recognized as minority languages.
They are: Finnish, Romani, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, and Yiddish.
As of 2008, 18% of the population had foreign origins, with 14% foreign-born and
another 4% born in-land of two foreign-born parents.

At 450,295 square kilometres (173,860 sq mi), Amazonia is the third largest country in the world by area.
Amazonia has a low population density of 21 inhabitants per square kilometre (54 /sq mi) with the population
mostly concentrated to the southern half of the country. About 85% of the population live in urban areas.

Amazonia emerged as an independent and unified country owned by AmCorp, during the 1930s.
In the 60's and 70's, the country expanded its territories and was/is still hungry for more.
The empire grew to be one of the great powers of Simland in the 80's and early 90's.
Most of the conquered territories outside the central islands were lost and reaquired during the
first years of the new millennia.
Today, Amazonia has a highly developed economy. In 2010, it ranked fourth in the world in
The Economist's Democracy Index and ninth in the United Nations' Human Development Index.
In 2010, the World Economic Forum ranked Amazonia as the second most competitive country in
the world, after Simwitzerland.

Amazonia does not have a national anthem, however it always uses John Lennon's Imagine as a theme song.

Flag:

Islands Central is the capital. Overview:

One of Amazonia's biggest concerns is the water pollution.

Luxury Condos.

These buildings are preserved as the only remaining link to Amazonia's beginning.

The Golden Tower is AmCorps headquarters and also the Mayor's home. Her suite takes
up the entire topmost floor.

China Town is situated right in the middle of things and grows as much as it can.

Mayor Erica Armel interviewed

The Mayor finished third out of 65 finalists in World Mayor 2011. From the many questions received,
a representative selection was forwarded to the Mayor. Below, she replies in detail, as well as with candour and thoughtfulness.

Questions & Answers
From Wilbur, Islands Central
Question: We all know that Amazonia's economic growth (which started with your grandfather) began to slow down when you
stepped in as Mayor.
Was it really necessary to build all these high income scyscrapers?

Erica Armel replies: My priority at this time is to serve the People of Amazonia,
from my office and during my important PR trips, for example
to Brussels and St Tropez.
Right now, I am devoting my efforts to the economy; but, I cannot think about everyone's best interest.
The mayor work is very intense and concrete, even to the point of being bigger than a Presidency. 
The "government for the people" is lived day by day in Amazonia. Now that I am ruling, I enjoy being so near the population,
something this position permits, and it is a fascinating challenge for me. 
()what()

So please tell me what you think. I'd like all kinds of advice about the city structure etc.
I am a beginner and not aware of all the awesome mods and downloads that are out there, so if there is anything you think I need,
inform me of it. As you can see in some shots I tried my hand at sea walls, but it did not work out very well.
I apologize for the visible menu, but my hotkey for camera mode doesn't work, and fraps is no good, so there is nothing I can do.
:-\
Next time: A medium density residential island close to Islands Central, and an airport.

art128

That's not a bad start at all! I liked quite some pictures there. But please remember to post them as JPG format.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Kjammi

Amazonia is a healthy land where you will see more people walking than driving.
They also like to bathe with their clothes on in the fountain on Trafalgar Square.
Here is some of that activity today.
Please watch with fullscreen on to see it properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V93R_H1AUHk

vester

Looks like a good start.

You could use IrfanView to convert the files from png to jpg.
It can also be use take screenshots directly from the game without the waiting.

Kjammi

Quote from: vester on December 09, 2011, 07:27:40 AM
Looks like a good start.

You could use IrfanView to convert the files from png to jpg.
It can also be use take screenshots directly from the game without the waiting.

Thanks, I'll try it.  :thumbsup:

Kjammi

New Mayor interview!

--from Maia H.
Question: "Your programme of providing street children with food, shelter and education in exchange for
environmental work has improved their quality of life. What future plans are there for these children and how?"

Erica Armel replies: "My immediate plan for the future is to increase the program we have for sending
this vulnerable sector of Amazonian society to Europe.  The more children we include in this program,
the better we will reach our goal of eliminating the street children and give them a better opportunity
of developing themselves - as children deserve. The project is led by my advisors and is working very well;
our hope is to raise the level of their quality of life in other and to set an example to other cities that share this problem."

New pics. This is Arniel Island which is mostly residential, and Midland Island, which is industrial and holds the airport.
Overviews:

Arniel Island has a large waste and water treatment area and also a substantial shopping center,
but there are also quite a few highrises.

Midland Island is still a work in progress.
The airport is privately owned by Air New Zealand.

There are quite a few industries popping up around the airstrip, as well as a big speedway stadium.

That's it until next time.  :)

Terring7

Nice city :)
From where did you get the yellow homes in your first post?
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Gringamuyloca

Welcome Kjammi

Quote from: Terring7 on December 24, 2011, 05:03:53 AM
Nice city :)

I agree there ARE good things happening here.. and a few more steps could really raise the level of presentation:

1) Leave one space (at least)  between your pictures, as you did in your first post. It really enhances the viewing experience.  :thumbsup:

2) Number your photos. (Some MDers use an update number/ photo number; IE: 2-01 or 5.6.) This makes it much easier for the viewers to respond; especially if you post more than 3 or 4 pictures in an update.  ;D

3) Some very worthwhile reading can be found in Masochist's (IMHO) excellent tutorial:Getting The Most Out Of Your SC4 Pictures  %confuso  $%#Ninj2 ..who knows, it could lead to a spot in the OSITM?! (Of Special Interest This Month)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mayor's Diaries.  :thumbsup:

Tamara