• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Region sizes and Corruption/Errors- A connection

Started by Zaphod, May 18, 2007, 06:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaphod

I read once that during a thing called the "miramba?" experiment, players determined that 2*2/square regions have the tendency to screw up

Anyways, i started developing a 5*5 large tile region, and ive been having really bad luck with corrupting city tiles and tiles that refuse to load. Is there something about having a square region that screws up the game? Or am I just running into everyday bugs and am having bad luck?

I mean, ive had regions go bad before, but im wondering if there is more than a coincidence? What were the results of the miramba? thing
War Kittens !?

Andreas

It's probably not much of a help, but I played that "Miramba" region as well, and it never got corrupted. I don't play that often, and I have only about five different regions which I play now and then since the game was released in 2003, but so far, I never ran into major problems. Very rarely, the game crashes (maybe once a year, not counting the cases where I accidentially hover a puzzle piece over a transit enabled lot), and back in 2003, I had the "disappearing props" problem in one of my cities, but thankfully, it didn't happen again since then.

That said, I'm very picky about the content of my plugins folder; nearly every file is inspected, and all bugs are being fixed, once I detect them. I don't use items from sources I don't know well enough, and of course, I back up my stuff now and then - and (maybe also important) I use quality hardware (RAM etc.), so my Windows runs fine, without the tendency to corrupt files.
Andreas

Zaphod

well I defragmented and I havent had any more problems, but I wasnt sure.

Anyways, I was just curious. I like the size 5^5 and the terrain I made(a heavily altered version of rayden's little italy) and wanted to make sure it woud work
War Kittens !?