• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Horse carriages as vehicles mod?

Started by dwelln8hss32, February 14, 2010, 11:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwelln8hss32

Does anyone know if the following is possible: to skin or create a new vehicle, a horse-drawn carriage and/or horse and wagon? I am creating 19th century towns (before the invention of internal combustion engines and mining of fossil fuels). Standard vehicles in such towns are not allowing me to achieve a more advanced stage of realism. I know that PEG and at least one other person (onlyplace4, I think) have such props on PLEX and STEX, respectively. While their models are great, and may be excellent props in and of themselves, we currently have no actual vehicle mods like these. Any thoughts?
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

bob56

I like the idea.  (I would wait for one of the vehicle experts to get on here) But I think it should be possible. I don't know how real it can get (moving horse legs are questionable), but I think you could get something to work.

Again, I would wait for one of the experts to get back to you, but here's my 2¢

--Grif
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

thingfishs

only that I would assume it possible (if Wall-E can be done...), and that I think it would be cool to see too. I've always dreamt of a SimMedieval or SimColonial setup like SimMars, with everything tailor made to that period, that would be sweet. I'm sure you'll get your definitive answer soon...

catty

You might want to take a look at the

Elephants as Taxis by timotheus4 found on the STEX here http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=13381

QuoteThis modd will replace the default yellow taxi with an elephant from the animal automata

that would give you animated horse, but as to how you could add a carriage ...

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

dwelln8hss32

Mightygoose, thingfishs, and bob56, thanks for your support.
Catty, I did check out the elephant, thanks for the link. I may try to contact timtheus4 and ask how this was done.

An animated horse could be very basic, visually. "Attaching" a carriage, or any of several different kinds of carriages, to the same horse automata could conceivably be designed, right? Somewhere, I have a photo of a 19th century stage coach that I think would be an appropriate model for reference.

If this can be designed, and applied to replace all vehicle automata similar to the mod that timtheus appears to utilize, I think it would a great achievement, and a remarkable addition to the game, for mayors developing settlement towns or period-specific cities.

Whataya say, automata experts? Anyone attracted to the idea, or shall I embark on learning how to mod and take a stab at it?
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

DebussyMan

Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on February 17, 2010, 07:29:01 PM
...or shall I embark on learning how to mod and take a stab at it?
That's always the best way to achieve what you want (if you have patience)  :thumbsup:

In any case, there was some talking in the BSC about creating an "olden days" automata mod, which would include carriages, pedestrians walking in the street and some early motor vehicles, as well as hot air balloons instead of helicopters. This was exactly a year ago and was being developed by Swamper77, but it really never got to fruition and I don't know how much of it was actually developed. On my part, I'd love to see such project realized, but sadly I have zero experience with automata modding...

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0