• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

madhatter106's BATs

Started by madhatter106, October 22, 2010, 10:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiFlo

Ooooh, industrials... I like where this is going!

vester

Great looking bat.

Here is a few textures that I could see use on it:
CG Textures: BricksSmallOld0015 (Texture: #29090)
CG Textures: BricksSmallOld0046 (Texture: #11709)
CG Textures: BricksSmallOld0026 (Texture: #6477)

You can probably find more under
Brick - > Modern Small - > Old
or under
Brick - > Modern Small - > Plastered

I picture a version with red bricked pillars and top, and yellow brick section in-between.

Jack_wilds

Hello Madhatter,

I also like this new departure into a new direction  :thumbsup:... and the cheeky nod to film fun ala Abbott & Castello's In Society  ;) the recommended textures from Vester ought to do well on the jesstar-esque creation

-good progress

Jack

madhatter106

Lowkey33 - thanks; lots of folks loved the low wealth packs I did.  Anything that dilutes the Maxis pool - that stupid Cecilia's taco stand is evil.  And don't get me started on Depiesse's Diner...

TiFlo, Buzzit and Sciurus - thanks!

vester - I create my own textures mostly, though I do find good starting points from the online sources such as cgtextures.  I'm a big fan of altering saturation levels, color balance, painting in shadows and details and gradients, replacing colors and different elements, working in layers to add grime and interest.

jack wilds - I remember seeing that Abbott and Costello sketch on TV as a child, and the phrase "Susquehanna Hat Company" has stuck with me to adulthood.  The sketch is a great variant on the old "Slowly I Turn" gag, also known as "Niagara Falls," which was done by many old time comedians...

I managed to slog through and texture the hat factory...

I'm dreading the nightlighting...it's going to take a long time to get it right...
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft

"Never keep up with the Joneses - drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

"Ordinary morality is for ordinary people." - Aleister Crowley

jmyers2043

I really like some of the geometry to the buttresses. The sky light thing on the lower left roof, and the tri level chimney. Also the cement block treatment along the ground level walls. The boxes in the corner and the stairs leading into the furnace room. I like the busted windows and plywood too. The black and yellow stripes at the sides of the rolling steel door. Lot's of small details make this bat a treat to look at.

It's a  :thumbsup:  job.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

The plywood is.....well, quite original and realistic. Details like this are always my favourite. I don't add too many to my own BATs but I love when I see them on other folk's BATs, like this one, which is quite exquisite. Good work, can't wait to see the nightlighting.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

rooker1

This is such a great model that I hope you might make a few variations of it.....maybe different lengths and possible a wider version with a few different lengths.  Just a thought, but I love this one.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

spa

The texturing turned out great! I can't say it any better than jmyers, there are a lot of beautiful small details on this one that make it come alive (pretty much true of all your bats). To follow up on my comment from simtropolis, the truck and railing blend in a lot more now. It was smart to scale them down a bit. Looks great all around.

madhatter106

jmyers2043 and mrbisonm - wow, thanks!  It was great fun loading all those details into this BAT; I'm so glad they're appreciated...sometimes it's hard to stop filling up these BATs with little character touches.  It makes the texturing process endless.

rooker1 - this will probably be the only incarnation of this; the lots may vary, but I'm not about to dive into building families and all that zaniness...it would probably take me eons to finish it then, haha.

spa - yeah, the scaling did the trick, thanks for the observations; often it takes an outsider's quick appraisal to figure out what's wrong, especially if you've been looking at it as long as I have...

I'm avoiding the lighting on the hat factory for the time being.  In the meantime, here's a little property and set dressing rental house I've been working on, based off one I've been to here in Los Angeles.  This one was fun to overload with details and character touches (one of my favorites and last-minute additions was the underwater mine prop). 

This is one of those BATs that looks better in the back than it does in the front...ah well...
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft

"Never keep up with the Joneses - drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

madhatter106

Way too many irons in the fire.  Here are a couple of generic office buildings to compete with the Maxis stuff of the same ilk/size.

Byrne & Associates

Patterson, Gimlin & Krantz

On the fence about some of the textures in the second one, particularly that brick...

Sciurus

Oh Gott!!... it's WONDERFUL!! &apls &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

metasmurf

Generic office buildings, yes please!

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

noahclem

Glad you decided to open a bat thread here on SC4D too! The hat factory and office buildings look really nice! I've always enjoyed your details and "naughty nimby"-type stuff. Liquor, strippers, etc need a home in SC4 too ;)  Are these buildings going to be W2W?

jmyers2043

This proves one does not have to clutter up a roof with unnecessary junk to have a nice looking model - nice  :thumbsup: on both. 

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

peter007

Wonderful buildings madhatter. Really like that white stone texture

Jack_wilds

...like the choice and use of texture material, they have a post-modern generic look to them... I'd make a small business park with these type/kind of offices

Merry Christmas Madhatter

Jack

madhatter106

Thanks, all.  I had a post that addressed you all individually, but the site went kaput on me when I clicked to post it, and I don't have the mental wherewithal to retype it all.

A couple of more offices, for the upcoming pack of commercials.  The first is Ostman, Bauman & Green...

And this one is Dinsdale & Rines, Inc...

More soon enough.

Sciurus

Excellent buildings, as always &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *