• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ennedi plays Shosaloza

Started by Ennedi, August 25, 2007, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAS71

Hi again Adam san.  :)

Hahahaha.....No no more any words....
These are really BEATIFUL !!  &apls &apls
Whne I made them, I imagine that river from japanese little dark and little dirty. $%Grinno$%
but now, I'm able to look them so beatiful thanks for your city-creation. :D

Thanks again Adam san !!
I'm glad and thanks again to you using them, it's ture. ;)

-Mas'71

vester

Quote from: kimcar on February 12, 2009, 05:22:28 AM
&apls &apls Excellent as always mate.

Could agree more !!!

Where did you find the canals in this picture ?

Ennedi

Welcome in Shosaloza!

There is a lot of work to do in the region now, most of them are new - for me too. So I decided to make updates more often, I only hope you will not be bored  ;)

Quote from: Schulmanator on February 09, 2009, 06:57:34 PM
Always a pleasure to see what you have to show us. You do great work and I look forward to seeing more of it as you develop it.

Thank you Bruce! Always a pleasure to see you here. I'm going to visit Monkey Island soon too, I was lurking there lately and I like it! :thumbsup:

Quote from: art128 on February 09, 2009, 11:45:14 PM
Your work is always awesome Adam ! &apls I really love the use of the little canal  :thumbsup:
Yep, I'm not inspired this time, so I don't make a big paragraph  :D

Hello Arthur, I'm glad you like the canal  :)
I hope you will not wait too long for an inspiration, the seaport development wasn't stopped (but some things should be hidden for some time  ;D)

Quote from: Battlecat on February 10, 2009, 12:42:59 PM
Beautiful waterfronts!  I love those wide curved river bank sections. 

Thank you, I like them too  :) Our friend MAS71 made them really fantastic and unexpectedly easy to use  :thumbsup:

Quote from: io_bg on February 10, 2009, 12:54:27 PM
Beautiful as always! &apls
P.S. where can I find that canal set on the 5th and the 6th picture?

Thank you Ioan!
This canal set is a part of the Edo set (beautiful old Japan buildings from an ancient Japan capital). You can download it from the NOB's site.
Unfortunately NOB's site is closed now and we can only open the archive, it contains links to BATs but no pictures.
Go to the "Japan, so far so near" board at our site. Find a thread "Japanese SC4 Links". Open it and find a link to NOB. Click it and this page will appear.

Click the place showed by red arrow. The next page will open.

I marked the link to Edo set by the red circle. Click it and download the zip.
Moving the mouse over various links you always see the URL at the bottom of the page (the red arrow shows it).

Quote from: Sciurus on February 11, 2009, 07:32:15 AM
Very very beautiful! You do a great work, so I just can congratulate you &apls &apls

Thank you very much!

Quote from: Nexis on February 11, 2009, 12:39:53 PM
whoa beautiful canals you've built there, how long does it take to assemble a city or part of a city?  &apls

Thank you! How long... it's a difficult question. Making previous cities I think a lot about next ones, it takes at least several days. Opening the new city tile I have a few ideas, more or less completed. Then I start from making main transit networks, terraforming (in the same time - they are dependent) and placing a few most characteristic objects. I made my previous city (Malecon) over 10 days and I should spend another 10-15 days in it to say it's finished (and of course it's not true, I'm going to make the second round through all cities, this time with LE. But it's a far future  :)) A day - I mean at least 8-10 hours of hard work  ;D

Quote from: kimcar on February 12, 2009, 05:22:28 AM
&apls &apls Excellent as always mate.

Thank you very much kimcar, warm regards from Shosaloza! :thumbsup:

Quote from: MAS71 on February 12, 2009, 05:38:07 AM
Hi again Adam san.  :)

Hahahaha.....No no more any words....
These are really BEATIFUL !!  &apls &apls
Whne I made them, I imagine that river from japanese little dark and little dirty. $%Grinno$%
but now, I'm able to look them so beatiful thanks for your city-creation. :D

Thanks again Adam san !!
I'm glad and thanks again to you using them, it's ture. ;)

-Mas'71

Hello Masuda san, always a pleasure to meet you!
It' simple, you made the river too bright and too clean  :D so I used it in the best district of my city. However, it would be interesting to follow your vision and make a "little dark and little dirty" neighbourhood placed along the river. The river would be the only nice and vivid accent in such place, it could look really interesting!

Quote from: vester on February 12, 2009, 11:34:38 AM
Could agree more !!!

Where did you find the canals in this picture ?

Hello Arne, I'm very glad you visited me here!
As for canals - they are from Edo set, look above at my reply to io_bg

Today I will make a digression (don't worry about the seaport, we will return to it very soon!  :)). I nedd a new terrain mod in my new city.
I have several serious reasons, I will explain them (on pictures) in next updates. After much learning and thinking I finally decided to start my new project:

This will be a fascinating adventure and I'm going to show you the whole process of making terrain mod (and also rock and water mods) in my MD. Of course the main theme will be still the region development, but making terain mods will be a nice addition (I hope  ;))

I need a bright, almost white rock mod, something like the cliff near Dover  ;D

White rocks are common in many places, they are formed mostly by limestone, but there are bright granite rocks too:

El Capitan (Yosemite)

Cerro Torres in Chile (it's impressive isn't it?)

I also wanted to have large talus fields and rocks on flat surfaces, mixed with grass and flowers. Here are typical views from Polish Tatra mountains:

(I climbed there  ;D)

How to make rock mixed with other textures - grass, dirt etc?
The first method was used by Orange_o in his last released rock mod (David use it in 3RR and it looks really very good!). We can make rock mixed with grass in one texture.
The second method was used by Brian (Cycledogg) in his terrain mods. He made the whole set of textures for higher elevations (collected in the CPT No5 files), some of them are rocky and they merge with the basic rock texture. I'm going to use the same method.

My working method: I use Cycledogg's Italia Terrain mod as a base, then I replace a part of his textures by new ones made by me. To make pictures showed by me today I make the following changes:
- CPT No5 textures are replaced by new ones;
- The maximum terrain height is changed to 2600 m (the highest peak in Shosaloza is about 2580 m);
- Blending parameters for basic snow texture were changed to decrease ugly straight borders of this texture (sawteeth)
- Blending parameters for all Brian's textures were changed too, but in a different way;
- The Terrain Texture Map Table in the Terrain.ini file was changed (mainly to don't allow grass close to the snow).

The result is far from perfect. It will be a long way and I have a lot respect for Brian (Cycledogg) for making terrain mods which not only look excellent, but also harmonize with almost every terrain. This is an underappreciated masterspiece.
But some effects are nice. I'm especially satisfied of the rock texture look on panoramic views, also on ugly large flat walls without significant surface details. Such walls often appear when the map is made from DJEM data, their limited resolution (90 or 30 m) made surfaces very flat.

Here is Mount Robson from Shosaloza map with an original Italia terrain mod and Dogfight Dark Igneous Rock Mod (one of the best ones, I use it currently in Shosaloza):

And here are my textures on exactly the same surface (not hand terraformed at all):

Now some other screenshots. Some are better, others are worse. But they show the current development stage.

As I said there is a long way to go. I would like to find textures similar to these

...Connect them with Chrisadams' flora

And finally to play with seasons (maybe it will be possible before fall  ::) ;))

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Dark_Jedi06

Oh my goodness, those mountains are incredibly gorgeous and majestic. The shape and textures are very realistic. ;D
I'm very impressed. :)

You're use of Mas' river set in the earlier update is very creative and superbly crafted.

Always amazing here. :satisfied:
...this space to be filled soon...

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Rayden

Nice work Adam, but. I would blur the grass/rock mixture a tiny bit, just to blend them better with the Italia textures. The white cliffs are good.

io_bg

Excellent work as always! I can't wait for more!
And thanks for the detailed explanations about how download those canals :)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

bat

Great work there on these terrain textures! They are looking very nice! And wonderful mountain!! :thumbsup:

TheTeaCat

Hey Adam

You Rock  :D :D
That is one of the best and most realistic rock textures I've seen in a long time. &apls &apls
more groundbreaking stuff from you once again. You made my eyes go  :o

The white cliffs look amazing :thumbsup:

Going back for another look :D :D
regards

Derry

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Ennedi

Some time passed, but I'm still alive  ;D

Quote from: Dark_Jedi06 on February 12, 2009, 08:49:01 PM
Oh my goodness, those mountains are incredibly gorgeous and majestic. The shape and textures are very realistic. ;D
I'm very impressed. :)

You're use of Mas' river set in the earlier update is very creative and superbly crafted.

Always amazing here. :satisfied:

Thank you very much! I love mountains and I would be happy to make them a bit more realistic. But it's not easy  :)

Quote from: Sciurus on February 13, 2009, 05:35:38 AM
Beautiful terrain mod &apls

Thank you Sciurus! As for terrain mod - it was only an announcement, much work must be done before we will be able to call it "terrain mod"  :D. But I'm very glad you like these first pictures!

Quote from: Rayden on February 13, 2009, 06:41:04 AM
Nice work Adam, but. I would blur the grass/rock mixture a tiny bit, just to blend them better with the Italia textures. The white cliffs are good.

Hello Silvio, I'm glad you visited me!  :thumbsup: Thank you very much for your comment. I see these imperfections too and I will try to harmonize textures better. In fact I made this grass/rock texture in a primitive way, I must improve my technique.
To make a good and universal terrain mod it is necessary to make several chains of textures to be able to make soft transitions. For example grassy texture for higher elevations must have a few transitions to rocky fields, and in opposite direction to green vivid grass on lower elevations. Blurring can be done by modifying blending parameters and it isn't the best method.
Original Maxis textures are boring for many peoples, so custom terrain mods are very popular. But if we would analyse Maxis textures, we will see they are perfectly harmonized. But Maxis creators had only one kind of textures and they decreased an amount of grass for higher elevations. Brian (Cycledogg) raised the bar very high, because he started to use a few different types of textures. It is a good and creative way, but we must have more good transitions in this case. I will try to make them. Most probably a couple of various terrain mods will be created in the same time.
There are not many people with any experience in this theme. I was thinking about developing terrain mods at BSC. I knew that you and Brian would help me. But finally I decided to make it here. More eyes will see my poor attempts  :D and even if somebody hasn't any knowledge about terrain mods, he can simply say if he like it or not. So I can receive more feedback this way (I hope).
Anyway, please comment and critique my work!! More eyes will see more!

I will show the terrain mod development every week or two as a secondary theme of my MD.

Quote from: io_bg on February 13, 2009, 07:00:59 AM
Excellent work as always! I can't wait for more!
And thanks for the detailed explanations about how download those canals :)

Thank you Ioan! I hope you downloaded NOB's canals without any problem, there are more fantastic stuff at that place  :thumbsup:

Quote from: bat on February 13, 2009, 10:34:09 AM
Great work there on these terrain textures! They are looking very nice! And wonderful mountain!! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much bat, it's always a pleasure to see you here! :)

Quote from: TheTeaCat on February 13, 2009, 11:24:03 AM
Hey Adam

You Rock  :D :D
That is one of the best and most realistic rock textures I've seen in a long time. &apls &apls
more groundbreaking stuff from you once again. You made my eyes go  :o

The white cliffs look amazing :thumbsup:

Going back for another look :D :D
regards

Derry

Hello Derry, thank you for nice words! Come again, a cuppa is waiting  :thumbsup:

Not much to say today. The seaport grows together with the whole city. Many things are started, but nothing is finished. So I will show today some teasers only  ;D - more professional presentation will be prepared soon.

That's all for today.
Special thanks for dmscopio, SimFox and callagrafx: your creations are fantastic!  :thumbsup:

Best regards for all
Adam
New Horizons Productions
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

rooker1

Adam,
:o
Very mouth watering, unspirational update.  You never sieze to amaze me.
I do have a quick question for you.  Where did you get that stair prop in the forth picture in this last update?  Both of them actually, the narrow one and the wide one.
In that very same picture....I love how you placed the building, absolutely brilliant.  &apls

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

art128

Hey Adam, you certainly know what I have to say ?
For a CBD, this is a great CBD my friend, you've choose the perfect buildings to go there my.
As always I can say, amazing work, the perfection is find in this update!
That river looks sooo realistic my friend, and the environment too !
The pier looks very great too, with that tram line going under the sea/river and those big buildings. &apls
You're always a source of inspiration for me (and I think for the other people).

Best regards,
Arthur.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Ennedi

Robin,

Very quick answer:
Both stair props are from MAS71's Wall sets. Wide, two-way stairs are from the basic set. There are four stone/concrete textures and one grassy with a concrete foundation called by MAS71 "High Wall". These stairs are just from "High Wall" set.
Narrow stairs are from "Walls v2" set released by MAS71 a bit later. You can choose one of eight textures in this set, I choosen dark stone which you can see in my city. This set has another absolutely unique feature too: it includes diagonal top tiles for sloped upper edge - very useful!
I suggest you to look at MAS71's creations thread, you will find links to all his creations there.

Adam
New Horizons Productions

Rayden

Great work Adam, the CBD looks amazing. About the terrain/rock mods, as I said before, if you need some help just let me know. ;)

Heblem

Adam, hi

First of all i'm sorry for not replaying in your MD since last year  :D, just wanted to tell you that your city looks excellent even with the sea walls and ports, you have a nice talent at that area. Also what I did really enjoyed was your photoshopped pictures of landscapes, seas, and beaches, even I'm thinking to take a picture from your MD for a wallpaper in my desktop, lol  ::)

As for your new terrain mods, you're getting skilled in that area, I love your snowy rock mod, which make looks excellent in snowed capped mountains, thats a great idea in fact.

I would like to offer my help if you wish, in doing some terrain mods, I have some ideas in mind, but i'm not good doing textures, so if you got something don't mind to ask me so I can do easily a terrain mod for you.

Take care.
Eblem

TheTeaCat

Wow
A few teasers he says. Goodness if that's a "teaser" update then what will the proper one look like :o

Stunning CBD, wonderful choice of buildings, fantastic work on the canal I could go on and on and....... you get the picture.

That sim in the wheelchair must be having a pretty hard time negotiating the steps (4th pic in this update) ::)

Btw what is that truck like building in the 10th pic. Very unusual never seen that before $%Grinno$%

And I do look forward to your work on a terrain mod :D

All in all a very enjoyable update :thumbsup:

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

kimcar

&apls &aplsAnother excellent update my friend  &apls &apls Very nice harbour. Just a question , do you think that you gonna release the white rock mod ? because i`m very interesting by . Thanks and keep it up  :thumbsup:

io_bg

Awesome update!!! This is one of the best CBDs I've ever seen! Great lotting, photoshopping and everything else I've forgot!
P.S. yes, I downloaded these canals and they really fit in small towns!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

ElPodol

beautiful city, amazing port  &apls &apls &apls

pvarcoe

Wow! Adam

I am blown away by your progress on the Terrain Mod.
The progress you have made with the sawteeth texture on snow to rock transition, is excellent.
Those improvements have been a wish of mine since I began terraforming.

I agree that the work that Cycledogg has done both on terrain mods and tree controllers is genius.
The complexity in those files is almost beyond belief. It's great to see him back around here and active.

I know that you have a better grasp of those files than almost anyone,
and certainly would encourage you to continue your work in that area.
If you need someone to beta test terrain stuff, I would be happy to.

Phil