• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mind Scape

Started by rooker1, February 27, 2007, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djvandrake

Fantastic pics of your industrial areas.   &apls   I really enjoyed your update.

but as for teaching you anything, not too sure there.  But I will give it a go.

Well you've already re-affirmed the approach that I'm taking in my new project, and that's helpful indeed.  And thanks for the description of your plugins folder.  Helpful as mine is starting to get out of hand.  :D

Awesome pics of Chicago!  My favorite city!

nedalezz

Fantastic update, your dirty industry areas are some of the finest I have seen. Very well done.

My favorite pic is the last one; I dunno, it stirs up the emotions, makes me think of the late 19th century!

Tomas Neto

Hi Robin!!! My friend, awesome update again!!!  &apls &apls

TheTeaCat

Hey Robin,

Nice to see a real proper update from you and I must say you have indeed been busy.
reorganising your plugins in such a fashion certainly makes a lot of sense. I must give it a go and see whether or not it will bring chaos to my sense of order ::) :D

But one thing I have noticed with your setup is the location of your mods folder. Personally I would have that load last to ensure that those files that have to load last really do.

Other than that your setup makes a lot of sense and I really will give it a whirl to see if its a better set up than the current mess I have right now. :thumbsup:

Now for the main bit and just to let folks know Robin (in a private chat) has asked me to be candid here and to tell it as I see it.

Now its great to see some new work from you and the presentation of the pictures is really good, I just wish they were not of the same zoom. It would have be nice to see a larger area in at least one ;)

One thing I have notice is everything seems really structured. the industrial areas are almost too tidy if you know what I mean.
Maybe I'm wrong but it looks as if you have had only anchor buildings grow and no space for "filler lots".
&Thk/( Maybe that's what's missing to give the added clutter you'd get in an industrial area ::)

Some of the repeating buildings look good but some don't.(2 Simgoober ones spring to mind here).
A lack of fencing in the industrial areas, and not enough grime.

Now don't get me wrong I do like the update :thumbsup: and there's been some real good advice here too
it's just as I told you in private chat - "I'll just tell it as I see it"

The 4th and the 10th are really good and my fav 2 pics of the update &apls
Dirty grimy ind just the way its meant to be  :thumbsup:  :D :D

Derry

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

rooker1

Some teaser pics to get you through to my next update.

It's taking me a little longer than expected to find the free time to properly do the next update. ;)
But it's coming....

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Battlecat

Well it's certainly a great looking teaser! 

canyonjumper

Great teaser, Robin!

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Nexis4Jersey

I love the Industrial Teaser  :thumbsup:and is that a Go Transit train i see?

djvandrake

Oooohhhh!  Tantalizing.   :thumbsup:

Tomas Neto

Wow Robin, fantastic teaser!!! Great work my friend!!!  &apls

rooker1

I have decided to turn my next update into two updates.  It'll be more evident why, soon.

Quote from: Battlecat on February 05, 2010, 10:56:05 AM
Well I like what I see there, you've got a good eye for city development.  I'm glad to hear you had such an easy time creating this urban area, I'm looking forward to hearing what tricks you've been using to control the appearance of specific buildings. 
Nice little mind game with using 4 and 8 to create all the numerals.  I quite like that one.
Thanks for stopping by.  I'm glad you like the Mind Games section as I find things like that very interesting.  As for my tricks you'll have to stay tuned for this update and the next. ;)

Quote from: bat on February 05, 2010, 11:01:41 AM
Fantastic work on the new pictures (great to see some in 2010!)!!
Looking forward to more...
Thank you as always for your kind words.

Quote from: Nardo69 on February 05, 2010, 12:54:49 PM
It has been a long time since I posted here. Too long I guess ...  :-[
Love the atmosphere of these screenshots, that not too clean, a little bit run down, not really reach touch. Never reached that atmosphere by myself, maybe because of this I'm still so much into rural despite that I am a villager ....
Take care my friend!
Bernhard  :thumbsup:
Don't worry my friend about the length of time since your post becuase it's been a very long time since my last post. ::) ;)  You have your great niche, which I will never be able to compare and I have mine.

Quote from: canyonjumper on February 05, 2010, 01:31:17 PM
Great shots, Robin! It'll be interesting to see what you do to get things where you want them. Interesting mind game. I didn't know that before!
-Jordan
Thanks for stopping by Jordan.  As for the Mind Game, I didn't know that before either. ;) I hope you'll follow along with my little tricks to get what I want to grow, where and when.

Quote from: kimcar on February 05, 2010, 04:31:00 PM
Hello mate. Great to see an update  &apls very interesting what you did with the number . See u :thumbsup:
Hello Mate right back at you my friend.  I hope you are doing well and I look forward to your next update.....as always!  I'm glad you liked mine.

Quote from: ecoba on February 05, 2010, 04:56:21 PM
It's been a while, Robin, but it's good to see some work from you. Your industrial pictures still amaze me, and that last brain teaser was very interesting.
Ethan
Hey Ethan.  Yes it has been a while, but we all need a break sometimes in life and it took me some time to realize that my little break was to play the game.  Life can be very busy with three kids. ;)  It's great to hear that I can still amaze someone with my pics.  And there are a lot more Mind Games out there, so watch out for what is to come.

Quote from: djvandrake on February 05, 2010, 05:26:52 PM
Fantastic pics of your industrial areas.   &apls   I really enjoyed your update.
Quotebut as for teaching you anything, not too sure there.  But I will give it a go.
Well you've already re-affirmed the approach that I'm taking in my new project, and that's helpful indeed.  And thanks for the description of your plugins folder.  Helpful as mine is starting to get out of hand.  :D
Awesome pics of Chicago!  My favorite city!
I'm glad I was able to re-affirm something for you.  Now I am interested in your project.  Where can I follow along?  I'm glad to hear that my plugins description also helped you.  I wish I had of thought of this years ago.  Would have saved me alot of headaches.  I now know that the plugins file is a very important one and you can't just down load anything you want into it with some sort of organization.  As I said before, I now have the exact same copy in three locations....my work computer, a memory stick and my home computer.  If I down load something, I sinc all the others as soon as possible.  And yes Chicago is a very interesting city.  I once visited there and took a Tour boat up the canals.  The building there are incredilbe and so much history.

Quote from: nedalezz on February 05, 2010, 09:03:49 PM
Fantastic update, your dirty industry areas are some of the finest I have seen. Very well done.
My favorite pic is the last one; I dunno, it stirs up the emotions, makes me think of the late 19th century!
Thanks Nedal for stopping by and I'm glad you like the pics.  Believe it or not but the city is entirely grown.  I have sort of giuded it a little, but now that the city is at a size where I can make huge changes without hurting the city and it's budget too much, there are some really big changes to come.  I hope you'll follow along.

Quote from: Tomas Neto on February 06, 2010, 08:40:16 AM
Hi Robin!!! My friend, awesome update again!!!  &apls &apls
Thanks a lot Tomas for the very nice compliment.

Quote from: TheTeaCat on February 06, 2010, 09:56:31 AM
Hey Robin,
Nice to see a real proper update from you and I must say you have indeed been busy.
reorganising your plugins in such a fashion certainly makes a lot of sense. I must give it a go and see whether or not it will bring chaos to my sense of order ::) :D
But one thing I have noticed with your setup is the location of your mods folder. Personally I would have that load last to ensure that those files that have to load last really do.
Other than that your setup makes a lot of sense and I really will give it a whirl to see if its a better set up than the current mess I have right now. :thumbsup:
Now for the main bit and just to let folks know Robin (in a private chat) has asked me to be candid here and to tell it as I see it.
Now its great to see some new work from you and the presentation of the pictures is really good, I just wish they were not of the same zoom. It would have be nice to see a larger area in at least one ;)
One thing I have notice is everything seems really structured. the industrial areas are almost too tidy if you know what I mean.
Maybe I'm wrong but it looks as if you have had only anchor buildings grow and no space for "filler lots".
&Thk/( Maybe that's what's missing to give the added clutter you'd get in an industrial area ::)
Some of the repeating buildings look good but some don't.(2 Simgoober ones spring to mind here).
A lack of fencing in the industrial areas, and not enough grime.
Now don't get me wrong I do like the update :thumbsup: and there's been some real good advice here too
it's just as I told you in private chat - "I'll just tell it as I see it"
The 4th and the 10th are really good and my fav 2 pics of the update &apls
Dirty grimy ind just the way its meant to be  :thumbsup:  :D :D
  Derry
Wow Derry.
First, let me thank you for putting so much thought into your post.  It's not too often someone does that anymore.  But these are the kinds of replies that make us better players, doesn't it?
I'm glad you like my plugins, but I did leave out a few folders, such as some "zz" folders.  I figured those ones were self explanitory and for those that have to do that they already do. ;) The only modds that are in that folder are the minor ones.  "No Pause Thingy", "Save Alarm Clock"...that sort of thing.
The "zoom" level....hmmm....well I'll let you all in a little secret.   The closer you zoom in the less work you really need to have done to make a nice picture.  Now this isn't entirely true with these pictures, but I wasn't happy with the surroundings just yet and I didn't want to let you guys in too much on what was coming in my future update(s). ::)  For those that can make great pictures at higher zooms, my hat is off to you all. &apls
Wow Derry you have really nailed me with everything here.  You have picked out everything that I will be talking about in the next two or so updates.  Right now the city is absolutely functional and I am making the most amount of money I can without making the city all pretty.  Now that my city can stand on it's own and is making a good profit it is time to start pretty-ing it up.  Repetition of buildings is sometimes good and others it is definately not.  This will be the part where one needs a lot of patience and as it turns out of have it to spare.
Derry thanks again and I hope you'll continue to follow along. :thumbsup:

Quote from: Battlecat on February 10, 2010, 03:57:18 PM
Well it's certainly a great looking teaser! 
Thanks alot.  I hope to see you around for each update. ;)

Quote from: canyonjumper on February 10, 2010, 04:01:51 PM
Great teaser, Robin!
Thanks for jumping in.  Glad you liked the teaser, but there is a lot more to come.

Quote from: Nexis4Jersey on February 10, 2010, 05:16:34 PM
I love the Industrial Teaser  :thumbsup:and is that a Go Transit train i see?
Hey Corey. 
Yes that is the Go Transit.  You like it?  I thought it was very fitting to be in my city when I first found it many years ago.

Quote from: djvandrake on February 10, 2010, 08:43:13 PM
Oooohhhh!  Tantalizing.   :thumbsup:
"Tantalizing".....very nice way to describe my MD, I don't think I have ever heard that one before in an MD. 
I dare you to top that in your next reply. ::)

Quote from: Tomas Neto on February 11, 2010, 08:02:28 AM
Wow Robin, fantastic teaser!!! Great work my friend!!!  &apls
Thanks again Tomas for stopping by.

Wow....I'm glad that part is finally over.

So to continue on with our experiment.
I have posted some pictures below, they all look pretty good (in my opinion ::) ), but they all could definately use some touching up in game wise.  Some buildings may not fit the surroundings and some others maybe be too repetitive.  This is obviously to the discretion of the artist, but a lot of things are obvious to most.  In these pictures I have decied not to touch them up with any kind of photo editing, so the eye doesn't get too occupied by the pictures presentation.  

Have a look at each picture and see if you can pick out the areas that can be adjusted.
This will be like a small test to see how you all think and after words I will get down to the my "Secret Ways" for getting to grow exactly what I want when and where. ;)

Picture One

Picture Two

Picture Three

Picture Four

Picture Five

Picture Six

Picture Seven

Picture Eight

In the next two pictures you can see what happens when a picture is photo edited.  The eyes can be drawn to the over all feel and some may forget to really have a look at what is in the picture.  I think photo editing can make just about any picture look much better, but it's the finer details and a really good focal point that make a picture just about perfect.
Picture Nine A

Picture Nine B

Question:
You are standing in front of a room with one lightbulb inside of it. You cannot see if it is on or off. Outside the room there are 3 switches in the off positions. You may turn the switches any way you want to. You stop turning the switches, enter the room and know which switch controls the lightbulb. How?

Answer:
You turn 2 switches "on" and leave 1 switch "off" and wait about a minute. Then enter the room, but just before you enter, turn one switch from "on" to "off". Once in the room, feel the lightbulb - if it is warm, but off, it has to be the last switch you turned off. If it is on, it has to be the switch left on. If it is cold and is off, it has to be the switch you left in the off position.

High light this area for the secret answer.  ::)

The rail lines in Chicago are insane. 
When they built these lines they really put the land to very good use. 
You won't find very much wasted space in Chicago.

I hope you all have enjoyed this update and take part in the little test. ;)  And I would love to hear from all of you that usually lurk.
I'll be posting the 2nd half to this update next week.
Until than, take care All.

Call me Robin, please.

Battlecat

Hmmm, a fascinating experiment.  It'll be interesting to see what everyone spots.  Just have to say I agree that all these shots look great already.

But still, I'm going to take a look at a few things here.  It's going to be a bit of a challenge to convey what jumps out at me in each picture but I'll do my best. 

Picture 1: Nothing leaps out at me here except that is one crazy road network! 
Picture 2: Those white buildings with the domes really don't fit the character of the neighbourhood.  Also, there's a fair bit of repetition of that beige office building. 
Picture 3: Hmmm.  Tough one here, but that blue glassed office building doesn't really fit next door to the industrial area. 
Picture 4: Not much to say here since that factory dominates the landscape, but the brown and beige office buildings look a bit out of place. 
Picture 5: I quite like this shot, there's not really anything specific that leaps out as needing modification.
Picture 6: There's a ton of repetition in here, the identical three gas stations leap out at me, but there's a bunch of others like that building with the blue sign.  I really like the character of the area around that stadium though. 
Picture 7: Looks good except for the line of identical except for color commercial buildings fronting the avenue. 
Picture 8: Lots of twin buildings here, some I'd keep in cases where they actually look like part of the same development.  The pair of brown towers in the center in particularly work quite nicely together.  When twin buildings are separated by several blocks, it really isn't very realistic.  There are a fair number of those types of twins here, such as the green towers or the glass tower with the rooftop garden. 

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents worth, I hope I didn't go to overboard here, but you really did get me thinking on style here.  Which I guess was kind of your goal here.  I'm looking forward to the next update!

Neat mind game there as well, I'll admit, I didn't figure that one out.

Robin-This is exactly what I was looking for.

canyonjumper

Here's what I saw:

1 - The rail crossings shouldn't both go across the road. One could go under/over. Plus the road bridge right beside an avenue bridge.
2 - The domed building doesn't fit at all, and the beige building is repeated four times.
3 - That bus stop doesn't fit the industrial feel of the area; neither does the building Battlecat pointed out, and the building in the lower right hand corner.
4 - The building behind the rail station doesn't quite fit.
5 - There isn't much here to modify.
6 - How many gas stations do you need? I see four of them. The building w/ the blue sign, and the one beside it on two occasions, both repeat. And doesn't that avenue roundabout affect traffic?
7 - That's the same building, let's see, seven times. And the brick building on the bottom repeats twice.
8 -Repetition, repetition, repetition. There are five cases that I can see. Only one works as a development.

I hope that fulfills your experiment, Robin ;D. They're all great pics, especially three, five, and six. Nice little mind game there. It made my brain work, and I still didn't figure it out :D.

Robin - Perfect Jordan, thank you for taking part.  As for the answer... you do know that it's there in that empty area, right? Highlight the area with you mouse. ;)

EDIT: Yes I do know it's there Pat ;D
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

djvandrake

Hi Robin.  Very interesting update and a good project to take a look at.  Hmmm.....

As for my project?  I don't yet have enough put together for a MD here.  I will soon though and am looking forward to it.  And it'll be tough to top "Tantalizing" so I'll save that effort for when you really outdo yourself.

Interesting quiz with the lightbulbs too.  :P

As for your pictures?

1.  This road network seems a touch disfunctional.  What's going on here?  The buidling in the upper left that looks like a foundry is out of date for the area.

2.  Too much repitition.  Domed building out of character and others repeat often.

3.  The building right in the middle that's a small workshop with the tanks is out of place next to the big, modern (and snazzy) factory.

4. ???  The office building and the rail station are far too close together on the right.

5. Don't see much other than some diagonal textures to improve.  But as for game play?

6.  A little repition and that stadium looks shoe-horned into its spot.  Needs more space around it.  Also your roads have me intrigued.  Why do you place one way roads outside of an avenue and link it all with the roundabout?

7. Don't see much.  Looks pretty good.  I'll be interested to see what you change.

8.  Just a few buildings repeat and the low wealt buildings in the upper left have got to go.

kwakelaar

Hi Robin
All though I am not your most regular poster, I will try to give some feedback on this experiment. As always with these kind of comments it is just my idea, and not some kind of universal truth :D

Picture one. The scale of the Maxis stations seems off (too big), and no need for an overpass and a ground crossing over the railway lines.
Picture two. I like the double avenue and the underpass. I think the turn from the underpass to the rotunda is unnecessary and I don't think the pink filler plaza's fit very well.
Picture three. No special comment
Picture four. The railway line is too open to the backyards of the buildings lining it.
Picture five. Same as four
Picture six. I think the stadium is put in a spot that is too small, it is looking a bit misplaced here. Three gas stations next to each other seems a little excessive.
Picture seven. Interesting combination of tall large buildings on one side of the road and smaller on the other.
Picture eight. Too many thin and tall different residential buildings in one area. If more of the same grow next to each other it would look better. Repetition of buildings can be good if they are the right buildings for the spot.
Well I am looking forward to your special treatment of these images.
Gjermund/Kwakelaar

ecoba

Okay, well I'm too lazy to go through every picture. But, here's some general things I think could be better all around:

-Gross Maxis sidewalks leaping out and de-matching the area.
-Open areas, could be filled with undergrowth.
-Building repitition.
-Diagonal Jagged Edges.
-Maxis civic buildings.

Those are my personal thoughts, but they're not specific, and I am certainly not criticising your playing skills. Your complete growth of this city is really cool, keep up the good work!

Hope to see some more pictures soon.

Ethan

Nanami

Sweet. Great update!

kimcar

&apls &apls Excellent work Robin, this is very detailled. And i just can`t wait for your secret way to get what you want , when you want. Because each time i ask my wife..... Oups wrong post  $%Grinno$% No i mean you real secret  ;D

itsacoaster

First of all, I enjoy reading your MD.  I only look at a few of them, so it's one of my favorites for sure.

I really liked what you did with the roundabout in Picture Six.  I hadn't thought of using it like that, and I will have to try it in the future with some of my busier roadways...

rooker1

This update will be about "The Secret".

I won't be doing individual replies today, but I would like to thank everyone that stopped by, especially those that took part in the little experiment.  I'll talk more about them in the next update!  ;)

Ingredients:

BSC No Maxis Files
Lot Description:
"This zip file contains three further zips: one each for Residential, Commercial and Industrial. The files were made by different BSC members some time ago. You are recommended to make a separate folder for each type and unzip the files you wish to block. You can use all or any combination of these files to block any Maxis sets you wish. This set is not the same as any other available.
These files are compatible with the forthcoming CAM which others are not."

This file includes these files:

no_CO$$$.DAT                  these two will block Maxis Commercial Office.
no_CO$$.DAT

no_CS$$$.DAT                  these three will block Maxis Commercial Service.
no_CS$$.DAT
no_CS$.DAT

Prevent_I-r_Lots.dat          this one will block MAixis farming.

Stop_Maxis_I-d1.dat          these next three will block Maxis Dirty Industrial.
Stop_Maxis_I-d2.dat
Stop_Maxis_I-d3.dat

Stop_Maxis_I-ht1.dat         these next three will block Maxis High Tech (my favourite one and is in my plugins folder most of the time.) ::)
Stop_Maxis_I-ht2.dat
Stop_Maxis_I-ht3.dat

Stop_Maxis_I-m1.dat          these next three will block Maxis Manufacturing.
Stop_Maxis_I-m2.dat
Stop_Maxis_I-m3.dat

Stop_R$$$.dat                   these next three will block Maxis Residential.
Stop_R$$.dat
Stop_R$.dat

A very organized Plugins folder.
Two updates back I posted what my plugins looked like.  Today I would like to add in a finer detail that I had left out.  ;)

Commercial
     Stage1
          jestarr1
               end files
          SimGoober1
               end files
     Stage2
          jestarr2
               end files
          SimGoober2
               end files
Industrial
     Stage1
          jestarr1
               end files
     Stage2
          jestarr2
               end files
Residential
     Stage1
          JBSimio1
               end files
          macrszar1
               end files
     Stage2
          JBSimio2
               end files
          marcszar2
               end files

It's very important that you have a system for where files came from, so I have come up with the one above.  In each stage I have the author and at the end of thier name I have added the corresponding stage number.  This will help when you move in and out thier files.  Why would anyone need to do that you ask?  Well just read on. ;)

LOTS OF PATIENCE!  ;)

"The Secret"

Anyone remember Alek King of SC4  If so you will also remember what his cities looked like and than may realize that this is not much of a secret but just an extention from his great work.  And if not, the picture below is a typical picture from one of his great cities!

This picture belongs to Alek King of SC4

Very uniform when it came to residential and very little repetativeness when it came to industrial and commercial. 
He hasn't post in just about 3 1/2 years but I see he still visits.  ;)

The residential files are the ones that we will be concentrating on today and also the easiest to use. 
So as you may already know I have a very functioanal city with no plops what so ever when it comes to residential (nor commercial or industrial for that matter) that also makes a very good amount of money even with the taxes extremely low.

It's also very important to have the most amount of control over your city. 
How is this done you ask? 
By having the entire tile zoned with only low density tiles for residential, commercial and industrial.  This is neccessary beacause the game likes to grow as fast as you can lay down the tiles.  At least this is my experience.  ;) If you were to lay down medium and/or high density tiles the game will grow in these location, but most likely at a higher stage than that tile/area can sustain.  You want to be able to continuously grow outwards before upwards without any area falling into dilapidation.  All this while though you'll need to plan out where you will want the down town core or the busier sections.  Try to keep all residents happy with jobs and keep the commute time as low as possible at all times because when we change the tile density to medium and high in certain areas traffic can become a problem very quickly.
As most of you already know me and my playing style is a sort of dirty industrial type city, I have come up with a little formula that I usually follow every time I play the game.  At the start I don't change any of the taxes what so ever, except for farming which I quickly put all the way up to 20% and High Tech which I usually put up to 15%.  I'm not really a farming type of person so I want to just skip over that type of city and Maxis High Tech is really my only pet peeve about the game. ( I hate those blue buildings).  As the city grows and about 1/3 to 1/2 of a large city tile is begining to become full I start to lower taxes to help keep the demand up for what I want to grow.  By not lower certain taxes you can keep that type of building from growing or at least slow it down.  So I lower R$, CS$, I-D and I-M quiet low.....to @7% or so as long as I am still making money.  Everytime my city is making more than $10,000 a month extra, I see if there is anything extra I can add in.  A school, Fire Hall, more police, a hospital, water, something along those lines that will make demands also raise up again.  If there is nothing needed, I lower the taxes again so profits are @ $1,000 extra.  All this time I let grow whatever the game wants and I give no mind to waht it is really.
So that is roughly how I play the game. ()stsfd()
Now you are probable wondering why I told you all that.  Well this is the fun part. 
Figure out what residential area you want to make look better and more realistic.  By this I mean row homes that all look the same, or houses that are all similiar, just like in the real world.  You would never find a house between two skyscrapers.  And no one find a pic and post it here please. $%Grinno$%
Before you exit the game double check your demand for residential R$, R$$ and R$$$.  I usually have a lot of demand for lower wealths becasue os the way I set up my taxes.  If the demand is not there, this would be a good time to raise the taxes on R$$$ and lower the other two.  Let the game run for a few months for this change to take affect.
Exit the game and place in your modd folder the following files from BSC No Maxis Files

Stop_R$$$.dat
Stop_R$$.dat
Stop_R$.dat

These three files will very successfully block any Maxis residential from growing.  Now that they are out of your way, we can go onto the next step.

But first.....
  You must have a little knowledge of CAM and the growth graph of the version you'll be using.
I am using the Midrise Version and this is what the growth graph looks like. (I'll be giving no more clues as to how many version there will be for the next release.) $%Grinno$%

I think it would be very easy for a large city tile with only low density used through out to have about 750,000 Sims.  This means as soon as you lay down a medium or high density tile it could grow as high as a stage 11, possible a stage 12.  But at this point the percentage would be low.  So the likely hood on the other side would be, it may be harder for you to get stage one to grow at this point.  At the 750,000 mark the stage that will grow the most will be stage 6.

Now here is where all the fun is.  Because you have already re-organized your plugins (very similiar to what I have shown you above) you can easily figure out what you want your little residential area to look like and which model(s) you want to use.

In my case here I want marcszar's Troy Rowhouses to grow.  I open my Plugins folder, open the residential folder, move all stages to my Desk Top, except for stage 5, now I move all authors except for marcszar to my Desk Top as well.  (This is where adding the stage number to the end of the authors name comes in handy) ::) You could go one step further and remove all of marcszar's other stuff in this folder except for the Troy Rowhouses, but in my case I only have two other files that would be competing, so I decide to just leave them there.
So now we need some information on these files.
The stage we already know is stage 5.
What is the lot size?
Because marcszar lables his work so well e can just read straight from his file names.

MSZ_MODELS_Troy_Rowhouses.dat          this file is obviously the model.
R$5_1x2_1540 Hoosick Street_....
R$5_1x2_1882 Burdett Avenue_....
R$$5_1x2_1330 Rensselaer Street_....
R$$5_1x2_2400 Vanderheyden Street_....
R$$5_1x2_2450 Washington Place_....

From this we can gather the LOT size, 1x2 and the number of different LOTs that we can expect to see, 5 different ones.  We can also see the wealth, R$ and R$$ in this case.  Because we already checked that the game had demand for these wealths we can definately get these to grow in game.
Re-open the game, go to the area we want to work on and start destroying residential homes that are not already Troy Row Houses.  Just work on a block or two at a time.  As the Troy Row Houses appear make them historical, if something else grow destroy it again.  This is where all those patiences come in handy, so I hope you have a lot of them.
There is a small draw back to this.  All the files that you took out will give you a small visual error in game.  The model may still appear ingame or part of the LOT.  But if you destroy it and it doesn't go a way, just rezone over top and destroy again.  It should be all fine now to grow whatever you want.

As the model grows that you want you query it and check off the "Make it Historical" box.  Now that particular LOT will not grow into anything else.  After this is done you can move on to new areas, use the same model or choose another and just follow the same steps as above.  To get as far as I did with this little area, it took me about an hour or so and now it is going very slow.  At this time some CS$$ and CO$$$ building grew and my demand for R$ and R$$ dropped right off and the demand for R$$$ went through the roof.  I think I'll have to go and fix that problem and come back to this area later.  &mmm  Things happen like this some times, especially when you are working on a large tile.

Now that you see how this is done you can now figure out easily how you can fix areas of your city to take on a more realistic look with your new found control.  Next update we'll work on some commercial areas and I'll talk more specifically about what each of my commenters said about the pictures from the last update.

"No Lurker Update" so everyone come and tell me what you think of what I have done so far and I urge all the "Guests" to register so that they can post too!
Until next week......take care every one!
Call me Robin, please.