• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your Road & Zone Layouts!

Started by Risu, May 17, 2011, 11:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Risu

I admit, I'm a sucker for screenshots portraying nothing but roads and zones. They give me ideas on how to layout my cities, and thereby help me become a better player.

So switch off all the eye candy, just for this thread. We wanna see nothing but raw grids! :P

EDiT:- Whoops sry, forgot to start off.... Here's an example of my style.

Terring7

Very nice Risu :)

This is my favourite, a simple 6x6 grid. Thanks to the zone layout, this plan allow the building of denser cities without using too much space.

And here is an older layout.

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Risu

Very nice, Terring! :) Oh and, I got a couple more contributions....

jonno

jacksunny

It will be interesting to see the retaining walls in that once building is completed  :D
EDIT: Just saw the finished product in the show us your buildings on slopes thread and it actually looks pretty good  &apls

Risu

greckman

Risu, that looks fantastic. You're getting better at this.
I notice a brown box in front of that school. You need the International Day of Peace Prop found on the simcity website. click for the link.
CLICK to see my MD on SC4D: Towncrafter's World - The Cities and Towns of greckman

Risu

Quote from: greckman on June 16, 2011, 10:07:59 PM
I notice a brown box in front of that school. You need the International Day of Peace Prop found on the simcity website.
I knew I was missing something other than the One Flag Many Nations patch. Thanks!

greckman

Here's my city of Rendon (Population 8,000) all built out. The gaps in the roads and streets are where the roadtop bus stops are located. The open areas are parks, trees, civics and rewards buildings, and utility buildings.

CLICK to see my MD on SC4D: Towncrafter's World - The Cities and Towns of greckman

Terring7

Here is a small design I had in my mind to make gridless downtowns

The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

wouanagaine

interesting idea Terring
How the pathfinder is working on that ? Do sims travel using the road around or the street ?

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Terring7

I didn't test it yet, but I think it depends of the transportation system. Maybe you can replace the roads with avenues or just add some bus stops close to the road-street crosses or even expand the tram lines into the streets as well &mmm
The Choice is Ours
---

Terring7

Sometimes, if you need an idea about city layout, look on the floor.

I have more ideas, like this one, based on floor designs. They're coming up. This layout more streets and less roads, so I think it would be perfect for low density cities. Something like this...

Let's use the central blocks for civic services, like hospitals and parks, and use the rest space for homes, offices and shops. We can even build bus stops and subway stations on the top of the roads, to encourage Sims using the mass transit.

But what about heavier density zones? What about C.B.D.s and industrial zones? I think we can use a variation of the above design. For example, we can replace the streets with roads and the roads with avenues. There are many possibilities... like this one!

The Choice is Ours
---

metarvo

You know, I'm sure it's a coincidence, but that reminds me a lot of this:

http://www.deltaattack.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/donut-block.png

In the SNES edition of SimCity 1, there was a popular strategy known as the "Donut Block" strategy.  Zones (all 3×3 in this game) would be placed around the perimeter of each 9×9 "donut," so named for the hole in the middle that would be left over since zones must have transit and none could be run to the center.  Parks or reward buildings would be placed in the central open land in an effort to raise land values and allow surrounding zones to fully develop.

Elias, yours makes me think of a large-scale version of this.  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

APSMS

Elias, I think it looks ugly as heck and incredibly cool! Where did you get those sunken BATs? They remind me of the Krell underground generators from Forbidden Planet, the way they keep going down with the roads and such.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

trabman11

Whoever thought that floors could give such inspiration ()what(). I mean, we've all herd of apples changing people's lives, but floors? Great job BTW :thumbsup:&apls
RISE UP AND FIGHT WITH SUPER BUNNY AND BOB!!!
  (\_/)           ☻/       /  \       
\(='.'=)/        /▌        |☢|       
(")_(")         / \       //||\\
*whispers* ...For what I don't know...I think they are anti-Google+ anarchists  ???

Terring7

The Choice is Ours
---

APSMS

Some development in the neighborhood of Mission Hills. Zoning around trees and canyons on diagonal streets can get a bit...tedious.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mgb204

Ah, Donuts... reminds me of simpler times  ;D

How about something less grid-based?

Gugu3