• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

io_bg

Quote from: ivo_su on June 02, 2011, 02:05:25 PMI really did not know that initially RHW started as a dirt road that is rural.
Not quite ;) RHW was made by modifying a dirt road that Maxis left unfinished and hidden in the game. When the NAM guys discovered it and modded it they called in Rural Highway. And last year (if I'm not mistaken) it was renamed to Real Highway.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Jack_wilds

some really incredible developments... particularly the rhw and at grades in rural settings...  :thumbsup:

&idea Recommend Wikipedia reading, that will help inform all those unfamiliar with American streets, roads, multi-lane roadways, national highway system,  interstate system, and their particular modes... a kind of primer orientation of roads and the US

look-up the topics 'freeway', interstates, national highway system, American roads and follow the "additional reading" links to broaden understanding, I have also read about the European variations of road network systems.  Its a wonder, just how much a role infrastructure network development played, in a nations economic development and history... food for thought 

MandelSoft

Quote from: ivo_su on June 02, 2011, 02:05:25 PM
But I still hold to my words and if most places on the highway is permitted to move over 120-130 km / h and in Germany and Austria has no speed limit how the hell will stop at red so fast moving vehicle.
Here I have to correct you. Only Germany has no speed limits on their "Autobahns", but even that is limited. There are a lot of stretches that actually have a speed limit of 100, 120 or 130 km/u. In Austria there is an experiment that on specific stretches of freeway on specific times the speedlimit is increased to 160 km/h. But often the speed limit is lower. And here in the Netherlands, there are some experiments going on to increase the speed limit on some freeway from 120 to 130 km/h (sarcasm: "yay, this will save me a staggering 42 seconds of my journey duration...")...

Believe me, I have my sources; I'm member of a dutch road-geek forum, you know, so there you have the experts.  ;)

But Europe and the U.S. is a completely different and things that seem illogical here are completely normal for you and vice versa.

Deep bow to you all.
Ivo
Indeed, there are some differences in road designs between the US and Europe. For instance, in the US you can have TLAs, at-grade (rail-)crossings on freeways and rail-on-road, while in Europe these things are considered dangerous or bad for traffic flow.
On the other hand, freeways in Europe are more distinctive than in the US. We have destinctive terms for freeways and highways, where in english you don't have a specific word for it. For instance, the dutch word "autosnelweg" could be translated in the following english words:

• highway
  • freeway
  • expressway
  • motorway (british english)
And from these words, only motorway covers the full meaning of the word. The other terms could be something else we wouldn't classify as a "autosnelweg", "Autobahn", "autoroute", "autostrada", or anything like that. For a dutch "autosnelweg" we have the following standards:

• The road must have at least four lanes, two in each direction.
  • The road must have a guarded median. Often this is a grass median with double guard rails.
  • The road must have emergency lanes at both sides of the road. However, if this is not the case on some short stretches of the road, it may still bear this classification.
  • The road must have no at-grade crossings. If so, the road is locally downgraded
The above also states why the original MHW cannot be classified as a "autosnelweg"; it lacks emergency lanes. But norm and rules may vary in each country. For instance, I've seen some german and danish freeways without emergency lanes. And I've also seen roads that fulfill every requirement to be a freeway, but aren't classified as one. And in the end, this might be confusing...

But enough road geekery from me. Let's move back to the main topic subject. Until then, Maarten out!  ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

ivo_su

I do not know whether it is an optical illusion or just so it seems to me but I feel that ERHW-6 are two types one is ERHW-6s and the other  is ERHW-6c
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ivo

noahclem

Yes, as has been stated previously both ERHW-6S & ERHW-6C are under development.

But I still hold to my words and if most places on the highway is permitted to move over 120-130 km / h and in Germany and Austria has no speed limit how the hell will stop at red so fast moving vehicle.

Longer yellow light.

But Europe and the U.S. is a completely different and things that seem illogical here are completely normal for you and vice versa.

Actually, those type of TuLEPs are present in northern Finland. Both Rovaniemi and Oulu have sections of 4-lane road that are a mix of at-grade and grade-separated intersections. The speed limits in signalized portions are 60-80km/h though, not 120-unlimited.

deathtopumpkins

QuoteIndeed, there are some differences in road designs between the US and Europe. For instance, in the US you can have TLAs, at-grade (rail-)crossings on freeways and rail-on-road, while in Europe these things are considered dangerous or bad for traffic flow.

Erm, no, you cannot. Then the road is no longer a freeway, just a road.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

westamastaflash

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 02, 2011, 03:54:15 PM
Erm, no, you cannot. Then the road is no longer a freeway, just a road.

I don't know. There are sections of Route 22, the "William Penn Highway" in PA which are controlled-access with some interesting intersections and houses right off it:

Controlled Access Intersection
No Ramps interserction

They may still be considered "freeways" in some senses, but are not true "interstates"...

jibjohn

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 02, 2011, 03:10:29 PM
And from these words, only motorway covers the full meaning of the word.

motorways in the UK are odd things, I doubt you will have heard of the (now late) a6144m

http://www.pathetic.org.uk/former/a6144m/

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: westamastaflash on June 02, 2011, 04:28:40 PM
I don't know. There are sections of Route 22, the "William Penn Highway" in PA which are controlled-access with some interesting intersections and houses right off it:

Controlled Access Intersection
No Ramps interserction

They may still be considered "freeways" in some senses, but are not true "interstates"...

By definition roads that have intersections are not freeways. Period. That is the definition of a freeway. Besides, US 22 doesn't even qualify as an expressway there, just an arterial, because there are business driveways on it.

That right there is, however, an excellent example of what the RHW can be used as - busy rural/suburban arterials.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Tarkus

The way I've approached the RHW is that it is supposed to represent a wide variety of highway systems, ranging from well-built 2-lane rural facilities, to 4-lane limited-access expressways, to large, fully access-controlled freeways, and just about everything in between.  While some things you can do with it may seem foreign to your experiences, there are other things it can do that you'll probably find quite familiar.  Rest assured, we've done our research.  It's a very expansive set of tools, and will get even more so with time. 

Now, who wants to get back on topic? ;D

-Alex

Ramona Brie

You continue to make the pot so much sweeter. It hangs just over the horizon, as if it's right within reach, but it isn't...

ivo_su

Very well said Alex. I respond to this picture and earlier but I will allow myself to  say that the better we could be. So by watching his job perfectly  and the only thing  bothers me  is that you already have and we have not (just kidding, really nice work)

-Ivo

GDO29Anagram

Now I'm copying Daniel... :P

I've always wanted to see this kind of piece, so I made the textures for one.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

MandelSoft

Quote from: jibjohn on June 02, 2011, 05:03:50 PM
motorways in the UK are odd things, I doubt you will have heard of the (now late) a6144m

http://www.pathetic.org.uk/former/a6144m/
Actually, I did have heard about it. The A6144(M) is indeed strange.

Girafe

A small question concerning the last picture

shadow or not shadow  :-\

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

MandelSoft

I guess Alex is working on that issue  ;)

ivo_su

I noticed these shadows them but inconceivable  that a big problem  at least for  me. Still more important is whether the traffic will run properly.

supremec

Quote from: jdenm8 on May 28, 2011, 03:02:53 AM
No pictures, it wouldn't be SecretNetwork any more then  ;)

We can't wait for pictures %BUd%
Click on the banner to see my BATs

Tarkus

As promised, a screenie of HSR going over a Wider RHW--in this case, an RHW-6C.  Still in the process of stabilizing these bad boys and getting them all ready to go.  Rest assured, shadows will be fixed up. 

Quote from: supremec on June 03, 2011, 08:51:07 AM
We can't wait for pictures %BUd%

Well, we were going to wait and post a video.  But since you asked, here you go--it's in the upper right corner of this screenshot.

-Alex

JoeST

Quote from: Tarkus on June 03, 2011, 10:22:00 AMWell, we were going to wait and post a video.  But since you asked, here you go--it's in the upper right corner of this screenshot.
It looks great :D
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms