• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiimeiser

I assume, also, that you'll be adding 45 degree curves, maybe replacing the 90 degree ones?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Wiimeiser on May 11, 2014, 07:57:04 PM
I assume, also, that you'll be adding 45 degree curves, maybe replacing the 90 degree ones?

As already mentioned, the plans to re-implement a new FlexFly system is indefinitely delayed due to the sheer amount of work needed; it's extremely hard to say what the plans are if there isn't even a prototype to show.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

jdenm8

Quote from: compdude787 on May 11, 2014, 01:10:52 PM
That and the very non-descriptive "unsuitable area to build network" message

The ground you're trying to build on is not flat or has its elevation locked by something else.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

eggman121

Quote from: Wiimeiser on May 11, 2014, 07:57:04 PM

I would not say minimally FLEXed elevated MIS and RHW 4S 45 degree curves is out of the question. The problem that lies here is that there is no models for them currently.

I would say that with just elevated RHW smooth curves for single tile networks either with FLEXing or static pieces (without any underpasses passing underneath or above them) could be sufficient for building more condensed interchanges. Alot of work has been invested in the P57 update and with the diagonal and orthogonal crossing already available there is scope to make it more stable when time permits.

One thing that I hope for is Diagonal starter pieces for just single tile networks since there would be rare occasions where double and triple tile network starters are needed and would add extra stability to short sections of diagonal RHW MIS, 4 and 6S.

These are just my thoughts.

-eggman121

compdude787

Quote from: jdenm8 on May 11, 2014, 08:07:12 PM
Quote from: compdude787 on May 11, 2014, 01:10:52 PM
That and the very non-descriptive "unsuitable area to build network" message

The ground you're trying to build on is not flat or has its elevation locked by something else.

It could be that, or, more likely, the game just doesn't like me. $%Grinno$%  I was getting that stupid message even after I'd leveled the ground with a bunch of single road tiles. That message has been a cause for my SimCity frustrations for as long as I've played the game.

Also, about the issue I'm having w/ FlexFly: I tried placing a starter piece directly underneath it and it still switched directions, but putting a filler instead did work...sort of. Except that part of the paths on the flexfly are missing, as seen below:

So after that, I said "forget it, I have a better idea" and I completely re-did the interchange configuration to avoid having to use the flexfly. I think it allowed me to avoid some other issues I would have had with it. So, now I learned to be more creative, and not to try and do earthen slopes until I have more experience with the RHW (that was another thing that was frustrating me). Finally I appreciate all the work you've done with the RHW over the years to allow me to do something that I'd always wished I could do with SC4: custom-built interchanges. :)
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

McDuell

compdude787: You cannot place filler pieces underneath the FlexFly as it will break the flyover's path. Starters are ok though; they just need to be placed in a very specific manner. Some starter pieces will have to be put in reverse direction which will then switch to their correct direction.

When having one tile of space between the parallel lanes, you need to reverse one piece; when going adjacent to the RHW6, you need to reverse 2 starter pieces. I've shown below how to correctly setup the RHW6 to make it work with the FlexFly.

Hope this helps.  :)

----------------
It's redundant, it's redundant. (R.E. Dundant)
----------------

compdude787

Oh! Thanks for the tip; that's really helpful. Although the final interchange ended up not having the FlexFly, I'll keep this in mind in the future. The RHW has so many weird quirks to it, it seems...

My YouTube Channel

CahosRahneVeloza

I need help with this one:

I can't get the RHW-6S textures to override the RHW-2 textures below the FlexSPUI. BTW I have Euro textures & Riiga's TuLEPs textures for my setup, but it seems the FlexSPUI still uses/has the US/Maxis default textures on it.

Tarkus

Like FLEXFly, FlexSPUI has been in an odd state of affairs for awhile now as well. It needs to be completely rebuilt, but it's going to take a bit of preparation to do that.

-Alex

CahosRahneVeloza

@Tarkus: So I guess for now I'll just have to go back to the old MIS to Avenue bridge setup then :)

That won't be a biggie then seeing as this was just my first foray with the FlexSPUI anyway :)

dyoungyn

Tarkus,

Oddly, existing interchanges prior to NAM32 look fine.  The only problem is creating new Interchanges with SPUI.

Quote from: Tarkus on May 23, 2014, 04:23:01 PM
Like FLEXFly, FlexSPUI has been in an odd state of affairs for awhile now as well. It needs to be completely rebuilt, but it's going to take a bit of preparation to do that.

-Alex

Tarkus

The other thing that was planned--but didn't get implemented for NAM 32--was a QuickChange option for the SPUIs.  That's something I'll be revisiting at some point.

-Alex

Geometry123

You will never know when will the next NAM be released. Only time teasing will tell. :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game"
                                                 -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

That one was purposely prevented for the time being, as it was brutally difficult to get working.

-Alex

Tarkus

My latest project . . . trying to get the revamped 5x5 90-degree FLEXFly in place.  Presently, it just supports L0 RHW-2 and MIS under every point.  Before anyone asks about the 45-degree, the models do not exist at present.

The one issue we're going to run into with this is code size, on the same order of magnitude as P57--we're talking about 50,000 lines per FLEXFly angle/height level/width.  More angles, height levels, and widths = more code. 

-Alex

compdude787

Wow that revamped FlexFly looks nice! The concrete barriers on the FlexFly match the ones on normal EMIS much better than that of the current FlexFly Just curious, are you going to make it be at L1, L2, or both? It would be really nice to have it at both levels; then you could use two FlexFlys to do make a compact, decent-looking directional-T interchange where the intersecting freeways are wider than four lanes.

My YouTube Channel

noahclem

This is a really exciting project Alex  &apls  Switching to a 5x5 footprint and fixing the crossings that didn't work right with the old flexfly will be a huge achievement. +1 For your work here, especially since I imagine there are other things you'd rather be working on :)

metarvo

This is the kind of project that will pay dividends down the road.  The improved FLEXFly will provide a boost to aesthetics and stability.  Good work, Alex!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Durfsurn

I just had an odd thought. I know double deckered paths going the same way is impossible but at what angle does it change from 'same' to 'different'. From this couldn't you make it so that the paths started say slightly offset and angled back towards the origin to create different directions? I am probably just dreaming and still wishing we could do DD paths but if this was possible why not?

Excellent work Alex! That looks amazing, and the 5x5 is probably good in the long run. 50,000 lines of code is still better than 50,000 models to make ;)

MandelSoft

Offsets won't work. SimCity 4's offset tolerance will try to snap back to the wrong "right" path and it wouldn't prevent deck jumping...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE