• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ben's Top Ten +10 @ SC4D

Started by benedict, January 03, 2012, 07:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eugenelavery

Quote from: RickD on August 04, 2012, 01:51:13 PM
I am not surprised at all that I could not beat Kelis. Windows on the World is an exceptional MD.  &apls And I am especially glad seeing New Holland in the top ten two weeks in a row. I always felt that it did not receive the number of comments it deserved.

I think most MDs here don't get the number of comments they deserve.  Too often I see fantastic updates followed by one or two comments, I guess this site is kind of slow at the moment.

Evillions8

Quote from: eugenelavery on August 08, 2012, 09:21:38 AM
Quote from: RickD on August 04, 2012, 01:51:13 PM
I am not surprised at all that I could not beat Kelis. Windows on the World is an exceptional MD.  &apls And I am especially glad seeing New Holland in the top ten two weeks in a row. I always felt that it did not receive the number of comments it deserved.

I think most MDs here don't get the number of comments they deserve.  Too often I see fantastic updates followed by one or two comments, I guess this site is kind of slow at the moment.

Either that or the community is too biased on certain updates or even the MD themselves.

eugenelavery

All I will say is that I do believe there is a bias on this site towards MDs based on certain parts of the world and not others.

threestooges

I'd say it's, as with everything, the natural ebb and flow. It used to be narrative MD's were the big thing, as well as accurate re-creations of real world cities. Yeah, it's true, some MDs don't get nearly the credit they deserve in terms of posts, but I think we're all guilty of that. I know I haven't posted in nearly as many MDs as those that deserve it. I suppose there is one way to change that though.

Great to see these lists Ben. It's really interesting to watch the changes over time.
-Matt

benedict

Hi, art128. Windows certainly has had some spectacular pictures over the last couple of weeks.

Hi, kelis. Great stuff last time.

Hi, RickD. I like New Holland a lot myself.

Hi, noahclem. That is one of my favorite Simpsons episodes ever - I laughed so hard when the mirrorball dropped down form the ceiling at the end.

Hi, Paul 999. Being OSITM does help spread the word about your MD.

Hi, nas-t. Welcome!

Hi, sim_link. It is fascinating to see how the lists change each week as well as how they differ from each other.

Empire Bay makes its way back to number one this week.

Nagagonia and Hong Kong & Okatabawashi return.

Follow BTT on twitter @BensTopTen for midweek tweets and early results. Now with 20-1=19 followers.

Have a great week, everyone!

Ben's +10

Kolbrów by kbieniu7
Pense by WannGLondon
Republic of Arinsia by feyss
BATs by DaveN
Eloaria by Kergelen
Federal Republic of Belleny by nas-t
Monkey Island by Schulmanator
Westfield, SD by A. Gates
Onubis Federation by Evillions8
Greenacre by threestooges
Click on the banner to celebrate!

art128

Congrats Raphael. With such à beautifully made update I had no doubt you'll get the first place!
Congatulations as well to the others MDs on the top 10+, keep up the good works!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

benedict

Hi, art128. Always great to see you comment here.

Three different number ones in a row: Siilijoki is back on top.

Zeroing City and AntigOne's Project return, and welcome to Monkey Island in its Top Ten debut. Schulmanator has an entry in all 3 versions of BTT - nice work.

Follow BTT on twitter @BensTopTen for midweek tweets and early results. Now with 20-1=19 followers.

Ben's +10

BATs by DaveN
Waldey by carlfatal
Söderland by Flatron
Jana by clemenclm2001
Principality of Balaton by jeckyll
Sardinia Region by 4arta
The Winding River Project by mrbisonm
Kolbrów by kbieniu7

Schulmanator

WOO HOO!!! After 5 years Monkey Island FINALLY made it on the list!

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Girafe

Good job.

I didn't think to see my topic here.  ::)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

ThomasK

Ah that's interesting about the three weeks bit, I didn't know that. Although I must say, many of the MDs here are incredible and much more deserving of Top Ten places than my own and others I have seen on other websites. Ebb and flow, as threestooges rightly said.

sim_link

Nice work, congrats to Monkey Island for finally making it on the list. :)

benedict

I just noticed I missed replying to a few comments at the top of the page - sorry about that.

Hi, eugenelavery. I think this is very common here as well as over at ST in some places.

Hi, Evillions8 and eugenelavery. I have been running BTT here since just before Christmas... I don't see a big bias to be honest. I think that being OSITM increases the comments after each update quite a bit, and I think the classics section seems to get more comments than the other sections. Of course there are some MDs that seem to get a ton of comments - I think this is a matter of quality of updates as well as consistency. I think that the MD that plugs away, providing good quality on a regular basis and patiently climbs its way through the different sections will do well.

Hi, threestooges. I really like your ebb and flow comment - I agree! These days it seems like well-staged scenes do well - this could be due to the recent proliferation of excellent MMPs. Regardless of cause, I think we all benefit from a well-crafted MD.

Hi, Schulmanator. Well, I;ve only been doing BTT here for 8 months, so I suppose if I'd been doing it in the past you might've appeared. Congrats again on making it into the Top Ten for a second week.

Hi, Girafe. You can thank being part of OSITM in this part of the forum :)

Hi, ThomasK. I wanted to be able to reward the steady, good diarist as well as the brilliant flash-in-the-pan-gets-a-lot-of-comments diarist. The system works well as far as I can tell. It also helps to resolve ties.

Hi, sim_link. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Siilijoki holds on to number one - I'm just sad that the words cover up my favorite part of the image - the train heading towards the tunnel.

Sardinia Region and Tarkusian Cities are back this week.
New to the Top Ten: Al.Ferrid and BATs by DaveN.

Follow BTT on twitter @BensTopTen for midweek tweets and early results. Now with 19+1=20 followers.

Ben's +10

Insulo and Kaskaskia by 2b2gbi
Republic of Karasem by 976
Windows on the World by kelis
Commonwealth of Marathon by thundercrack83
Jana by clemenclm2001
Med Inspirations by OI.S / Benoit
The Winding River Project by mrbisonm
Hiroshima region by art128

Swordmaster

Congrats to Noah - well deserved if you ask me.

Thanks Ben

Cheers
Willy

art128

Oh wow, I've never been that deep since the start of the BTT devotion edition.. Wow..
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

catty

Quote from: eugenelavery on August 08, 2012, 09:21:38 AM
...I think most MDs here don't get the number of comments they deserve.  Too often I see fantastic updates followed by one or two comments, I guess this site is kind of slow at the moment.

People just aren't posting and I'm not sure why, but its not just our site, quoting from another non-SC4 site

QuoteIt gets very discouraging when we have as many members as we do and there is little to no participation from over 80% of the members.
Case in point. Wayne bent over backwards to put together a Buildoff that has VERY few limitations so we can get as many members as we can involved. The number of members we have currently participating is nothing short of sad and pathetic. Why would anyone want to take the time to try and put things like this together when there isn't going to be the participation so many other forums cular. generate.

Something else that bugs the heck out of me is the lack of members taking the time to review the newe kits on the market. Model Cars Forum has 2 reviews and buildups that are nothing short of spectacular. They are indepth with great pics, tips, and ideas for the new Revell releases. Yet, here on a forum dedicated to drag racing models, we don't so much as hardly a mention of the kits being released, let alone any reviews. Again, sad and pathetic.

The bottom line is, we can't force people to post here and participate. The internet is flooded with model forums these days and it just comes down to a matter of preference. It's more than obvious the majority of those who are members here would rather post someplace and that's fine.

I have pulled the plug on forums in the past for lack of participation and I'm not above doing it again. There simply is no point dumping a bunch of effort and time into something only a handful of people appreciate. If it sounds as though I'm a bit miffed, then I'm getting my point across. Wayne and I appreciate the support we have of the few who do visit this forum and call it home, but I'm not afraid to tell you I'm disappointed with the lack of response we get from the vast majority of "members" here.
Maybe it's time I weed through the members and those who haven't been on here are removed. this way we will have a dedicated bunch who can make this place or break it.

the link to this site and board  http://quartermilers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=drmd&action=display&thread=3063

and I can link to a dozen or more sites that are having the same problem with their members not posting any more.

()sad()

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Terring7

Welcome to the Facebook age, where writing and thinking are not allowed anymore. All you need to do is making silly posts to get likes ;D
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

vortext

Quote from: Terring7 on August 30, 2012, 12:54:31 PM
Welcome to the Facebook age, where writing and thinking are not allowed anymore. All you need to do is making silly posts to get likes ;D

Yes, I'm afraid Ellias is right in that the internet has changed with the rise of Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter and the like. It's not only fora suffering from a lack of participation, I know of quite a few decent websites that have gone black because the editors decided to shift activity over to the platforms mentioned instead of maintaining a site of their own creation. &mmm
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Terring7

My recommendation is to use those sites to share our Mayor Diaries. This will make them more popular and will also bring more people here. At least I hope &mmm
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

catty

Quote from: Terring7 on August 30, 2012, 01:50:23 PM
My recommendation is to use those sites to share our Mayor Diaries....

Perhaps rather than your Diary itself, maybe a teaser picture or post and a pointer back to this site if they want to see the rest of the diary, that way you are not trying to maintain multiple copies across lots of sites.

You are welcome to try an "advert" out on my site and see if it would work   :thumbsup:

-catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

benedict

Hi, Swordmaster. UPdates in Siilijoki have been insanely good recently.

Hi, art128. Well, there were no comments/updates in your MD last week, so you fell in the rankings - but you're climbing again now.

Hi, catty. I guess many more things vie for our attention and time than in the past, and both of those commodities are limited. The participation in the MD section of this site is about the same as the original CJ forum over at ST - so good enough to run numbers for BTT.

Hi, Terring7. No silly posts here - I find all the posts here at SC4D to be of a mature nature - which is a refreshing change. Not sure about sharing your work elsewhere as viewers would have even less incentive to come here.

Hi, vortext. Thanks for your view.

Siilijoki is number one again, but hot on its heels are Rondnoir and Windows on the World, both high re-entries. Also back: Med Inspirations and Republic of Karasem.

Follow BTT on twitter @BensTopTen for midweek tweets and early results. Now 20 followers.

Ben's +10

Holt District by sim_link
Hiroshima region by art128
Monkey Island by Schulmanator
The City of Danyard by Mr.Lin
Zeroing City by Uzil
Söderland by Flatron
Insulo and Kaskaskia by 2b2gbi
New Holland by Paul 999
Tarkusian Cities by Tarkus
Jana by clemenclm2001