• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Meinhosen's tour in Iraq

Started by meinhosen, January 30, 2007, 07:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meinhosen

From another SC4 website, some of you may know that I spent 12 months tramping around the nation of Iraq.  Keeping politics out of the picture, I'd like to share some of the photographs that I snapped while I was over there.

My job required me to spend a lot of time out and about, so it gave me a good opportunity to see a lot of the country and get some good use out of my digital camera.  Much of what you see is from the northern part of Iraq, in and around the ancient city of Mosul (also known as Nineveh).  I hope that you enjoy what you see.  :)

I'll be sharing some more as the weeks go by, so here's a quick sampling:

Coca Cola.  It doesn't taste quite the same over there... perhaps it's the Arabic writing on the can.  ;)

The Donkey.  Primary mode of transportation in many parts of the country where gas is either too expensive or too scarce.

Dawn over Mosul, looking east over the Tigris River.

Rose garden and broken fountain in a former palace of Saddam Hussein.
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

DebussyMan

How exciting it must had been. Just the fact of being in such an ancient place must be overwhelming, that added to a completely different culture and costumes.

The pics you've posted so far are beautiful. Loved the dawn over the Tigris one. I'm looking forward to more.

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

CabraBuitre

It will be great to see a different perspective of Iraq (not the politicized view with nothing but bad news by the media).

This will really give the opportunity to see alot of Iraq as an everyday place.  I can't wait!

Check out Abelfarei!

goin2chicago

those are some cool pictures. i saw on some news special showing a coke factory in iraq or afganistan, can't remember, so they actually do make it in the region and don't have it imported which i thought was pretty cool. can't wait to see more!

deadwoods

I'm guessing the syrup is the same, it's the local water that affects the taste (like buying beer not bottled in Victoria ;D ) Although, I've found in my travels across Asia that Coke tastes basically the same (as does a McD's burger).
David, aka deadwoods

Vandy

Hello, Meinhosen and welcome to Memories Frozen In Time.

I'm so very happy and glad you've decided to open a thread here in The Artist's Place forums.  It's good to have you here.

Your pictures are really quite nice.  I'm sure you have plenty to choose from given your recent tour -- both good and bad.

The first time I had opportunity to have a "foreign" coke was in Ankora, Turkey in October of 1998.  The can said Coke but the taste -- well, let's just say it was different...

Nice picture of the boy on the donkey (jackass?).  Your composition gives a very nice sense of (impending) motion.

It's really hard not to like a sunrise picture and your's is no exception.  Very well done and a very nice memory, I'm sure.

What a beautiful rose against a beautiful fountain.  I do like this picture very much.  That is some beautiful tile work on that fountain.

Wel, MeinHosen, I want to wish you God's blessings and protection on your pending return to Iraq (or, are you already there?).  As I stated in my member intro, I work as a government contractor at the North Carolina National Guard in the IT Computer Helpdesk and support our soldiers both in-state and those deployed.  If you are so inclined, feel feel to drop me a line at my AKO address -- gary.vanderbur.  I'll be more than happy to strike up a correspondence with you.

Take good care!

Regards,

Vandy

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980

Gaston

Meinhosen,
   I really can't say more than thank you.   I am truely touched by these photos.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Alek King of SC4

hmmm as for the soda i know here in the US we are under a high fructose corn syrup conspiracy, that is why is says sugar and or hfcs.  needless to say sugar tastes better imo.

Giligone

Great photos! It's always great seeing pics from other parts of the world.

Did you just recently get back? I have a cousin in Iraq, Marine corps. Don't know which part of the country though.

meinhosen

Thanks for the responses!

DebussyMan, the culture was overwhelming.  Its absolutely nothing like the United States... pretty much puts the definition into foreign, but not in a bad way.

CabraBuitre, I'm happy to provide a hands-on view.  :) 

goin2chicago, the Coke actually comes from Turkey.  I had to reference a journal entry I wrote after I asked my interpreter to translate the part of the can that tells where the stuff was bottled.

deadwoods, lol.

Vandy, I'm back from Iraq (for now).  Keep your eyes on your AKO email  ;)  I really want to say Thank You for opening up this forum- it's a great idea!

Gaston, Thanks!

AK, yes, sugar/ corn syrup does taste better... the dentist doesn't agree... but it tastes better.

Giligone, Marines?  Oh man, I'm sorry. (j/k)  I didn't see too many Marines, but that's just the area of the country where I spent most of my time.  I hope your cousin stays safe- he's got a tough job in a tough area.

On a light note, it wouldn't be the Middle East without a sandstorm.  :P  Here's my experience with one:

The second picture was taken from inside while we were moving... the junk you see throughout the photo was the residue from the rain/mud that fell during the storm.

Two members of the Iraqi Police.

Who could hate kids?  The top is my prize "Iraqi Kids" photo, since I was able to get a picture of some of the local girls (they normally get swarmed and pushed out of the way by the boys when a camera comes out... hence most of my "kid pics" are of the boys)

Thanks again for visiting!

Serkanner

Impressive set of pictures you have here Meinhosen. I sincerally hope you will indeed post more of you trip to one of the centers of attention of the last few years. The picture you took of the Iraqi girls is indeed very rare ... nad also shows the greatest asset children have to offer us adults: innocence.

Giligone

Some more great pics! That sand-storm looks fierce. Those photos of the kids are really good too.  :thumbsup:

Are the marines more in the Baghdad area? I don't really know whats going on there, thus is life in Canada, ahha.

Vandy

Hey, Meinhosen.

Another great series of pictures.  I've never experiecned a sandstorm but I can imagine the ferocity of them.

Your Iraqi people pictures are really great.  I'm especially fond of the children.  Great shots!

I'll keep an eye on my AKO (or, should I say DKO now) mail.

Regards,

Gary

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980

Menotyou

That sandstorm looks rather intimidating.

Great pictures! &apls &apls

Gaston

Wow more great pics Meinhosen.   Thanks for sharing them.   And not to many people say this these days but, thanks for risking your life so the rest of us old folk can have our freedoms.   I really appreciate what ALL the service people have given for us.    I saw a pictorial listing of all the service people who died in Afganistan and Iraq not that long ago and it really hit me hard.    So many lives lost and families torn apart.     We can never repay you for your sacrifices.    Thanks again

---Gaston
白龍

WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

meinhosen

Iraq is typically a place we would associate with Mosques and other Muslim landmarks.  While this is so, it is also true that the northern portion of the country has a tradition of Christianity.  These are a series of pictures I snapped of a monastary tucked into the hills of the tiny city of Al Qush (pronounced "Kwash").  The day was kind of rough for pictures, as overcast skies wreck havoc with my digital camera; what you'll see is the best of the bunch.

This winding road took us up nearly 500 vertical meters.  I know that it's hard to tell from the picture, but it is a lot steeper than it looks.

This cross sat on a small spur coming off the mountain the monastary was perched on.  There are several tombs beneath it (to the lower left) belonging to several of the caretakers who were murdered by Hussein's regime in the early 80s.

This is the monastary from much lower in the valley.

The monastary itself is about 1100 years old, and much of what we saw was in the process of restoration from the current caretakers of the place.  While it hasn't been in use for the past 75 years, plans are to open it back up to tourists.

This cross was carved into the retaining wall of the winding road you saw above.

dedgren

I look at your pics almost every day- it's just hard to comment here.

The "kid" pics made me want to cry...Jeez, I wish the world was a better place.

Mh, thanks so much for "humanizing" the situation over there for us.  It's way too easy to believe you know things from a few minutes of television news every night.  Thank you as well for your service.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Rayden

Nice pics. That winding road reminds me the ones of the Tour the France up in the Alps or Pyrenees, only misses the trees. The view from above should be magnificent, on a clear day.  :thumbsup:

Cali

my mom has a very dear friend over there. it is nice to see pictures without bloodshed. thank you :)
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

Gaston

Meinhosen,
    Wow they must have Big Red Fish's slope and tunnel mod installed over there.  ;D  That series of switch backs is wicked.    Thanks for sharing more great pics.   That is a part of that country I'd bet not many people even know is there.

---Gaston
白龍