• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Coast Desirability Increaser

Started by Kultag, January 25, 2012, 04:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kultag

I'm requesting BATs that would increase the desirability of coasts.

Coasts should be more attractive than inland (see Palm Jumeira), but this is not implemented in SC4 and to my knowledge there's no mod so far that would do this.

The execution of this function should be IMO something that can be placed into the sea, and would have landmark effect. Maybe it should have other effects too. It should be free to place and maintain or at least cost little. I'm not sure if it should be visible (a buoy or seagulls e.g.) or invisible. It should be a pack with a few ranges, like 5 tiles for rivers, 10 for bays and 30 for coasts. You could place these around the shore line, and the high wealth development would be motivated to move to the coasts and banks.

Opinions?

FrankU

This is an interesting idea, but can you not achieve this with existing landmarks and parks?
Maybe you should mod some beach lots into high rated landmarks?

Kultag

Why such lots would be useful is that a coast (even a bank) should be attractive on its own without any parks. If a CBD lies at a coast, there might not be parks. Probably Manhattan is a good example here.

And why I'm requesting anything is that I haven't done any BATs so far and I don't intend to start doing them. I guess it's easy to do for a pro, that's why I ask for it, and not just dream about it.  ;D

mike3775

Quote from: Kultag on January 25, 2012, 05:58:40 AM
Why such lots would be useful is that a coast (even a bank) should be attractive on its own without any parks. If a CBD lies at a coast, there might not be parks. Probably Manhattan is a good example here.

And why I'm requesting anything is that I haven't done any BATs so far and I don't intend to start doing them. I guess it's easy to do for a pro, that's why I ask for it, and not just dream about it.  ;D

But a landmark like the St. Louis Arch, would fit in a CBD along the coast, so would the Statue of Liberty on a small island just off the coast(I have done this trick several times to get skyscrapers to develop along the coast)

noahclem

You could always throw in the Diagonal Bridge Enabler, place a bunch of parks and/or landmarks far enough below sea level so they won't be visible, and then restart the game without the DBE  ;)

Lowkee33

I'm pretty sure coasts already boost desirability.  I'm also pretty sure a property in the developer exemplars controls just that effect.   

Edit:  Hmm, doesn't look like they increase desirability.  ::)  Perhaps it is land value?  I'm pretty sure coasts are good (just like R$$$ like a certain amount of elevation). 

From now on, no SC4D before coffee  $%Grinno$% 

Edit #2:  Coffee? Check.  The property seems to be in the Land Value Simluator.  Coasts have higher land value, which would increase desirability.

Kultag

@mike3775: I don't think a single LM is a solution, not generally usable at least. If you have a group of wide peninsulas, a single (or few) landmarks will also affect the inner parts of them.

@Lowkee33: I did some sort of tests, and didn't see any desirability boost for coasts on their own. Players would be generally aware of it if there was. Or did I miss something?

Because a serrated coast requires a considerable number of increasers, it shouldn't be too eye-catchy. It shouldn't be visible at all for rivers. Or maybe it could be done without any lots with that Land Value Simulator thing? Can that be modified? (yes I'm n00b)

Lowkee33

Here is an image of land value I just grabbed:

You can see that coasts increase land value, and it also increases with elevation.  I didn't see such a dramatic effect on desirability, so perhaps there is some missing link there. 

I'm using a modded data view mod, not quite sure where it is from.  I think if you look for Cogeo's Trash Incinerator on the STEX you will find links to the original mod that he added to.

Kultag

Yes, land value is higher (it can be seen with the vanilla Data View too), but is it OK that even though a coast is more expensive to move in, it's not more desirable? Why would anybody, including the rich families and companies move there? It should be more desirable once it's more expensive. If I could move in to one of 2 lots, one at the coast and one away from it, and they would cost the same amount, I would choose the coast one, before somebody takes it, because it's more desirable. So: lot cost implemented, lot desirability not.