• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sam Johnson's BAT Bunker

Started by Sam Johnson, February 09, 2010, 12:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manchou

It's so beautiful  &apls &apls :thumbsup: great work !
My BATs or here but it is in french ;)

SimFox

Beautiful work here!

You are making those in Bat4Max, right? What is a version of 3dsMax you're using??

Sam Johnson

Thanks for all these comments  :)

@xenofeel: Yes, in comparison to blocks from other parts of the former soviet union the commie blocks in moscow are somehow "nice"  ;D And yes I'm also planning to do some props like playgrounds, soccerfields and so on to fill the huge spaces between my blocks on the lots ;)

@Simfox:I'm currently using 3dsmax 9 and Chrisadams' Bat4max.

Yesterday I grabbed out the crane I showed as I opened this thread and finished it.
Here are a few pics of the crane from my test city  :)

And after I finished the crane yesterday I began batting a fictional industrial building It's almost done now:

I hope you like both Bats  :)

Gilikov1994

From the Soviet blocks to the industry ;) great work &apls

- Giel :thumbsup:
Check out my LOT thread, and also the EBLTeam!

==> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10509.msg318190#new <==

jmyers2043

i like the industrial building. Looks like it will fit into the game nicely. The walls look good and the squared off skylights are different than the usual sawtooth style.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

cogeo

Very good BAT!

One question, how big is this?

And a suggestion/request: Instead of making the BAT and the Lot, I would like to ask developers to only make the building BAT and exemplar, and include it in the Maxis building families. Indeed, I believe Maxis has done a wonderful (yes!) job as far as lots are concerned. The problem is that the building collection is quite limited, and as a result you get the same buildings again and again. For example, for a new city I almost always start with MPR Metals and Dao Chemicals for industry - sometimes I get Farley's Foundry. A similar situation is with commercial and residential buildings, and the problem is exacerbated if you only allow one building style in your city. If you look at the building families you will find that most familes comprise only one (!) or two members. So my suggestion is to expand these families by adding new buildings. Of course their footprint should be roughly the same as the Maxis ones, and the stats similar, so that they fit into the Maxis lots nicely and don't cause trouble to gameplay.

Orange_o_

Really, your whole work is exemplary  &apls

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

Girafe

your work is fabulous  &apls &apls

you pay so attention to details and textures which provide you superb bats

I really appreciate the night lightings on the factory too

hope to see your work soon in the Lex
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Sam Johnson

Thanks guys  :)

@Cogeo: The building is needs not less than 4x10 or 10x4 tiles.
Your idea is really not bad, the main Problem about this is that you need very similar footprints. And If you'd take larger buildings like this one you'd need to pack buildings from different creators in one family (but I think this wouldn't be a big problem in our community ;) ) But smaller buildings could probably use the technique which you had described well and improve the variety in the game.

Sam Johnson

Sorry for doubleposting

Because of a suggestion on Simforum.de I threw some brick textures on my industrial building, I hope you like this version, too

(both version will be realeased later ;) )

cubby420

Wow I love both versions. Large fabrication or assembly facilities like this are really rare in the community still. They remind me so much of home (in that bleak, urban decay kind of way) that I will definitely gobble these up as soon as they are released. Kudos on the nightlights too by the way. The detail here is great.

Girafe

Brick version is very nice too and adds more diversity and maybe more ex-USSR style  :D
anyway both version are so good    :thumbsup:
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

manchou

Wow, your cranes are superb ! And your two industrials BATs are wonderful with some details  &apls &apls &apls

Sam Johnson

Thanks Guys   :)

@Girafe: Actually the beton version was based on a soviet design but somehow the brick design looks almost more soviet liek :D

Well I started yesterday another bigger industrial building inspired by some photos of some industrial areas from moscow:

There's still much to do but the base design of it should be noticable  ;)

Girafe

Sam the " Usiner "   :D

this one starts well too  :thumbsup:
The Floraler

manchou

Sam Johnson

Thanks you both ;D

And here's a bit progress on the last building

Girafe

Nice progress, textures are really awesome  &apls &apls &apls

how you did ? working in a special pictures' software or just playing with materials in 3ds ?

:thumbsup: 
The Floraler

Sam Johnson

Thanks  :)
Well Girafe, mostly I prepare all my textures in Photoshop. For example I take a concrete Textur for the walls, then I adjust the colour of the texture and add new layers with dirt, and whatever is needed. For my commieblocks as another example I also trace the lines between the plates for a more derelict look.
In 3dsmax I only add sometimes bump maps, and almost always I tweak the brightness

P.S. the roof texture of the industrial buildings was originally a picture of the roof of a small garden shed, but with photoshop it's currently one my most used textures for roofs :D

As I started batting textures were the biggest problem for mine, but today it seems like I'm getting along with it ;)

thingfishs

fantastic, love the big industrials &apls