• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rivit

Thanks for finding that. Looks like its just that middle one thats not changing as it should. Probably a missing T21 (network prop). We will fix that for NAM45.

The rest of the bridge has an overlay texture to hide the old Maxis rail (that you can see in the gap) - and that is deliberate to give the rail bridge has the same gauge as the RRW itself.

You will see that texture on a number of Rail bridges that cannot be rerendered or edited for RRW.

Ulisse Wolf

it's a problem we've found with many RRW bridges. The patch will be included with NAM 45

nickWtn

Okay I apologize if I'm just blind but there's two transitions that I've been used to using in the NAM that I swear just don't exist on 44. One of them is single lane ramp to RHW-4 and the other allows you to add an additional land from RHW-8C to RHW-10s, did these I guess they are called width transitions, disappear or am I just blind?

Tarkus

Quote from: nickWtn on May 04, 2022, 07:35:11 PMOkay I apologize if I'm just blind but there's two transitions that I've been used to using in the NAM that I swear just don't exist on 44. One of them is single lane ramp to RHW-4 and the other allows you to add an additional land from RHW-8C to RHW-10s, did these I guess they are called width transitions, disappear or am I just blind?
With the addition of the FLEX Width Transitions (FLEX-WTs) in NAM 42, all of the previous puzzle piece-based transitions (both height and width) for the RHW have effectively been rendered deprecated/legacy content.  The FLEX-WTs can do everything the old puzzle-based transitions could do, and much more--including the MIS-to-RHW-4 transitions and RHW-8C-to-RHW-10S.  I'll note, the puzzle pieces never actually supported RHW-8C-to-RHW-10S (unless you're thinking of RHW-8S-to-RHW-10S, which was added in NAM 24/RHW 3.0 in 2009).  With the FLEX-WTs, all of those width transitions are also available at every possible height level, including support up to L4 for the MIS-to-RHW-4 transition, and up to L2 for RHW-8C-to-RHW-10S and RHW-8S-to-RHW-10S.

This feature preview video from the NAM 42 cycle, made by my NAM Team colleague LucarioBoricua, shows how the FLEX-WTs work:

If you still would like to use the old puzzle pieces, they are still available, but the menu buttons to access them are no longer installed by default.  The box is an option under the "a_Legacy Support" section in the RealHighway section of "2 Additional Network Features" in the NAM installer.

We've been gradually moving the RHW (and as much of the NAM as possible) over to FLEX and draggable items over the past several years (a task which has taken considerable time, just because of how large the mod is), and stopped making standard puzzle pieces in 2015.  This has been done in large part in recognition of all the complaints over the years that there's too many puzzle pieces, too many menu buttons, and too many pieces to TAB through under each button. 

Once FLEX replacements for the puzzle pieces reach the point where they can replace the functionality of the puzzle pieces entirely, we will be doing this more and more with the old puzzle piece menu buttons, so as to minimize the menu bloat, but still have a non-default option available for those who don't mind it.

-Alex

nickWtn

Quote from: Tarkus on May 04, 2022, 10:23:15 PMWith the addition of the FLEX Width Transitions (FLEX-WTs) in NAM 42, all of the previous puzzle piece-based transitions (both height and width) for the RHW have effectively been rendered deprecated/legacy content.  The FLEX-WTs can do everything the old puzzle-based transitions could do, and much more--including the MIS-to-RHW-4 transitions and RHW-8C-to-RHW-10S.  I'll note, the puzzle pieces never actually supported RHW-8C-to-RHW-10S (unless you're thinking of RHW-8S-to-RHW-10S, which was added in NAM 24/RHW 3.0 in 2009).  With the FLEX-WTs, all of those width transitions are also available at every possible height level, including support up to L4 for the MIS-to-RHW-4 transition, and up to L2 for RHW-8C-to-RHW-10S and RHW-8S-to-RHW-10S.

This feature preview video from the NAM 42 cycle, made by my NAM Team colleague LucarioBoricua, shows how the FLEX-WTs work:

If you still would like to use the old puzzle pieces, they are still available, but the menu buttons to access them are no longer installed by default.  The box is an option under the "a_Legacy Support" section in the RealHighway section of "2 Additional Network Features" in the NAM installer.

We've been gradually moving the RHW (and as much of the NAM as possible) over to FLEX and draggable items over the past several years (a task which has taken considerable time, just because of how large the mod is), and stopped making standard puzzle pieces in 2015.  This has been done in large part in recognition of all the complaints over the years that there's too many puzzle pieces, too many menu buttons, and too many pieces to TAB through under each button. 

Once FLEX replacements for the puzzle pieces reach the point where they can replace the functionality of the puzzle pieces entirely, we will be doing this more and more with the old puzzle piece menu buttons, so as to minimize the menu bloat, but still have a non-default option available for those who don't mind it.

-Alex

I've known about the FlEX Width transitions... however and I just don't know why but I can't for the life of me figure out which one I need to use to go from a MIS(Ground/Level 0) to a RHW-4 (Ground/Level 0)piece, no matter which transition I try... that's well why I'm really confused, do you happen to know which one it is?

Edit: umm I think I found the turn lane version of this piece in FTL's but that has turning arrows.. which while great isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

LucarioBoricua

Quote from: nickWtn on May 11, 2022, 03:34:06 PM
Quote from: Tarkus on May 04, 2022, 10:23:15 PMWith the addition of the FLEX Width Transitions (FLEX-WTs) in NAM 42, all of the previous puzzle piece-based transitions (both height and width) for the RHW have effectively been rendered deprecated/legacy content.  The FLEX-WTs can do everything the old puzzle-based transitions could do, and much more--including the MIS-to-RHW-4 transitions and RHW-8C-to-RHW-10S.  I'll note, the puzzle pieces never actually supported RHW-8C-to-RHW-10S (unless you're thinking of RHW-8S-to-RHW-10S, which was added in NAM 24/RHW 3.0 in 2009).  With the FLEX-WTs, all of those width transitions are also available at every possible height level, including support up to L4 for the MIS-to-RHW-4 transition, and up to L2 for RHW-8C-to-RHW-10S and RHW-8S-to-RHW-10S.

-Alex

I've known about the FlEX Width transitions... however and I just don't know why but I can't for the life of me figure out which one I need to use to go from a MIS(Ground/Level 0) to a RHW-4 (Ground/Level 0)piece, no matter which transition I try... that's well why I'm really confused, do you happen to know which one it is?

Edit: umm I think I found the turn lane version of this piece in FTL's but that has turning arrows.. which while great isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Look at the video in 04:05, it shows the in-line RHW width transitions being used between RHW-4 and MIS, for all elevations. The variant with the arrow is for lane reduction, and the variant without is the lane addition. Make sure to hook up RHW-4 on the side with 3 lanes (RHW-3), and MIS on the side with 2 lanes (RHW-2).

nickWtn

Quote from: LucarioBoricua on May 11, 2022, 03:52:46 PMLook at the video in 04:05, it shows the in-line RHW width transitions being used between RHW-4 and MIS, for all elevations. The variant with the arrow is for lane reduction, and the variant without is the lane addition. Make sure to hook up RHW-4 on the side with 3 lanes (RHW-3), and MIS on the side with 2 lanes (RHW-2).

Thanks don't how I missed that, and while that for sure did the trick for doing that one direction it sure doesn't seem to work going the other way.. and doesn't fix itself no matter where I click on it.

Tarkus

Quote from: nickWtn on May 11, 2022, 04:49:20 PM
Quote from: LucarioBoricua on May 11, 2022, 03:52:46 PMLook at the video in 04:05, it shows the in-line RHW width transitions being used between RHW-4 and MIS, for all elevations. The variant with the arrow is for lane reduction, and the variant without is the lane addition. Make sure to hook up RHW-4 on the side with 3 lanes (RHW-3), and MIS on the side with 2 lanes (RHW-2).

Thanks don't how I missed that, and while that for sure did the trick for doing that one direction it sure doesn't seem to work going the other way.. and doesn't fix itself no matter where I click on it.
That's because you're using the Lane Add version for what is effectively a lane drop.  Going from RHW-4 to MIS, you'll want the Lane Drop version (that has the arrow), and going from MIS to RHW-4, you'll want the Lane Add version (that doesn't have the arrow).

-Alex

nickWtn

ok now I've got a few issues with nam 44.

The first one is with an incorrect drag texture on the Specialized RHW x Surface Intersections using RHW-4 with was widened with the Width Transition which instead of using of the RHW-4 texture is using the RHW Texture.

The second issue is with my trying to make a ramp from RHW-6s L2 creating what looks like a FLEXRamp TypeA1 L0 instead, I hope this isn't just something I'm doing wrong instead of a missing feature.

I've gone ahead and linked an imgur album that contains image examples do to file size issues. https://imgur.com/a/Lt1TbLs

Tarkus

Quote from: nickWtn on May 26, 2022, 08:39:00 PMThe first one is with an incorrect drag texture on the Specialized RHW x Surface Intersections using RHW-4 with was widened with the Width Transition which instead of using of the RHW-4 texture is using the RHW Texture.

The second issue is with my trying to make a ramp from RHW-6s L2 creating what looks like a FLEXRamp TypeA1 L0 instead, I hope this isn't just something I'm doing wrong instead of a missing feature.

With the first one, for the MIS-to-RHW-4 transition, are you using the FLEX Width Transitions, or the old puzzle piece ones?  If it's the FLEX one, it's fixable, but I'll need to throw some adjacency code at it, and in the meanwhile, backing it up a tile away from the FlexSPUI might help.  If it's the puzzle piece . . . that's probably not really fixable.  Your options would be to either use the FLEX one (recommended), or to stuff a starter in there.

As far as the ramp interface goes, the only level of RHW-6S that supports the standard Type A1 ramp is L0/ground level.  None of the elevated versions of the RHW-6S (L1 up to L4) support A1 ramps--this is mentioned on the tooltip for the FLEXRamp.  This was an intentional design decision, made due to the fact that the barriers on the 6S's overhang actually clip into the MIS.  It's for this same reason that the L1 and L2 RHW-8S don't support Type D1 or A2 ramps.  This shows the clipping up close and personal:

There's been some debate about whether the clipping really is bad enough to keep those ramps from existing--it doesn't look that bad on the orthogonal with the MIS, but it starts to look goofier when one curves one of the networks or transitions it to a different height level.  The overhang is absolutely too far between RHW-6S and RHW-4, however.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

You could shrink the inner side so that the barriers are flush. It might also help people using the Euro textures see which MIS is which direction, too.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

Quote from: Wiimeiser on May 27, 2022, 10:53:13 PMYou could shrink the inner side so that the barriers are flush. It might also help people using the Euro textures see which MIS is which direction, too.
Doing so would mean replacing tens of thousands of models over something quite minor, which isn't remotely feasible, and would be a pretty subtle difference--perhaps even more so than the fact that the "inside" on the EU RHW textures (where the yellow would be on the US textures) is slightly thicker/brighter. 

I have been thinking of ways to make the directionality a little easier to figure out with the RHW in general (I've seen plenty of people bash their heads against the wall when trying to use an outside ramp instead of the necessary inside ramp they'd actually need there--with the US textures installed, no less), and have some ideas, but have yet to really experiment with it to date.

-Alex

nickWtn

Quote from: Tarkus on May 27, 2022, 01:38:43 AMWith the first one, for the MIS-to-RHW-4 transition, are you using the FLEX Width Transitions, or the old puzzle piece ones?  If it's the FLEX one, it's fixable, but I'll need to throw some adjacency code at it, and in the meanwhile, backing it up a tile away from the FlexSPUI might help.  If it's the puzzle piece . . . that's probably not really fixable.  Your options would be to either use the FLEX one (recommended), or to stuff a starter in there.

As far as the ramp interface goes, the only level of RHW-6S that supports the standard Type A1 ramp is L0/ground level.  None of the elevated versions of the RHW-6S (L1 up to L4) support A1 ramps--this is mentioned on the tooltip for the FLEXRamp.  This was an intentional design decision, made due to the fact that the barriers on the 6S's overhang actually clip into the MIS.  It's for this same reason that the L1 and L2 RHW-8S don't support Type D1 or A2 ramps.  This shows the clipping up close and personal:

There's been some debate about whether the clipping really is bad enough to keep those ramps from existing--it doesn't look that bad on the orthogonal with the MIS, but it starts to look goofier when one curves one of the networks or transitions it to a different height level.  The overhang is absolutely too far between RHW-6S and RHW-4, however.

-Alex
Yeah, I'm using the FLEX Width Transition it seems to happen with just trying to extend the network from the FLEX Width Transition itself.

I hate to have to ask another question but I'm pretty stuck here. I've been making these elevated exits with the RHW-4 to two MIS ramps with one being curved and for every reason, I just can't seem to get this one to work, and I'm wording if there's some kind of trick to making this work 100% of the time as the others I've just made I'll say I was just lucky with as I really don't know for sure what I did to make them... anyways here's an Imgur album with both the ramp I can't seem to make and then what I mean by "RHW-4 to two MIS ramps with one being curved". https://imgur.com/a/kAw8kcm

woodb3kmaster

It looks like the ramp you're describing and the one you're trying to make are two different (albeit very similar) ramp interfaces. The ramp in your example picture is officially known as a RHW-4 Type E1 Outside ramp, while the one you would have if the two RHW networks in your other picture met is a RHW-4 Type E1 Inside ramp. These two ramps have different drag patterns (illustrated here, assuming they haven't changed since I made that table), and you can get them by plopping different FLEXRamps as well.

The difference between them is due to which way the networks are facing - the yellow lines on the US textures always go on the inside edge, so the RHW-4 in your first picture is traveling rightwards across the screen, while the one in the other picture is traveling leftwards. If you really meant to build an outside ramp, as you showed, you'll need to reverse the RHWs in your second picture.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

nickWtn

Thanks, I'd forgotten that there's a wiki and there's an outside and inside ramp.

dyoungyn

Is SC4 Deluxe with Rush Hour BAD via STEAM.   Since NAM 44, I had SC4 from Amazon and lost the capability to move around my Region.   I since re-installed SC4 from COG but had been having problems with the NAM.  I started with NAM 36 and the game shuts down.   I even applied the SC4 Patch that came with NAM 36 with no avail.  I totally LOST it all.  I do have a backup of my Plugins but NAM appears to be a problem.   I do remember about some files that need to be had from Maxis which no longer exitst.  I also thought that the COG version that Alex recommended and tried to figure if it included Rush Hour or not that may fix my issue.  To date, I have been VERY UNSUCCESSFUL. 

Tarkus

If you're using the GOG version, I'd recommend using the "Offline Backup Game Installer" option instead of using GOG Galaxy (GOG's Steam-like client program).  Click the text that says "Offline Backup Game Installer" to expand that section out, and then click where it says "SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition".

GOG's version is designed to have the -CPUCount:1 fix and other things designed to avoid CTDs on modern systems, which Steam's does not have (and is required to be input manually by the player).

I'd also note, NAM 36 is no longer supported, so we can't provide any help with getting it running.  It's also a misconception that NAM 36 is somehow  a "stable" release, simply because it was around for so long.  NAM 37's long gestation, however, was partly because of NAM 36's myriad problems, including with its installer (which can sometimes silently skip key files) and its file architecture.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

I give up. I successfully copy my Plugins backup with no hiccups and default simple maps load fine.   However, when I install NAM 44 is where I run into problems.   I uninstalled the COG version and other versions recommended and bought the game from EA Games for $19.00 in hopes all the bugs will be worked out.   I only have the Z-NAM fine in my plugins; NO NAM.  I am willing to give this a try, any advice?

dyoungyn

Update to this, the EA version comes already installed RHW (version I cannot figure out) with Flex pieces and MWM and even drawable road and with FAR3 just fine.   I am not sure what this is all about.   Before I install the NAM44 and copy my city backup, I want to check with you about NAM 44 install over the factory installed version.

nickWtn

So I've been running into this issue lately where I have some one-way streets with a single tile space in between them and am trying to do FTLs with a standard road however there doesn't seem to be any piece to fill in the gap with the correct 2x double yellow lines on either side of the third lane and was wondering if this is something that exists as like an old filler or started piece that I just don't have access to or if it's something that might be added down the road? Here's an image of what I'm running into.
https://imgur.com/a/TR9H9Lq

Disregard this I somehow missed what direction the left arrow on FTL was facing.