• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky99

Hi I found texture bug using RealHighway Quick Changes. When I place a "L0RHW-10/8S(Quadruple Tile)xL1 AVE-6 (Dual Type 230) Full Diamond Interchange" there is missing texture on L1 AVE-6 over the RHW-8S.  L0RHW-10-8S(Quadruple Tile)xL1 AVE-6 bug.jpg

mgb204

This seems to be RUL related, if you look at the L0 parts that are missing, they aren't overriding properly and show RHW-2 4-way crossings.

It looks like an RUL stability issue, I found clicking around I could get both the missing parts to appear, but not at the same time. So it'll probably need fixing up in the code before it works fully.

Note I'm actually using the latest developer build of NAM testing this.

Tarkus

Quote from: Lucky99 on February 18, 2023, 10:23:21 AMHi I found texture bug using RealHighway Quick Changes. When I place a "L0RHW-10/8S(Quadruple Tile)xL1 AVE-6 (Dual Type 230) Full Diamond Interchange" there is missing texture on L1 AVE-6 over the RHW-8S.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EInmRHDXFzxAfx8e2qG_CHfYGX2q2RTt/view?usp=sharing
Thanks for the report!  I've just thrown a wee bit more code at it, and it'll be all good for NAM 47.

-Alex

Lucky99

I would like to report another texture issue. It looks like the texture is 90°rotated. It is on the T intersection on the Road x OWR-1
See picture belowRoadxOWR-T.png

Tarkus

Quote from: Lucky99 on February 20, 2023, 11:57:20 AMI would like to report another texture issue. It looks like the texture is 90°rotated. It is on the T intersection on the Road x OWR-1
See picture belowRoadxOWR-T.png

Confirmed to be a Euro texture issue (the US textures have the correct rotation already).  Drop this file anywhere that will load after the original OWR-1 EU textures file (within the Network Addon Mod\8 Texture and Drive Side Support\EU folder should work).  This fix will be included in NAM 47.

-Alex

XL2007

Found this one while using the FLEX-HT L0-L1 On-Slope Transition. I can kludge up a fix by plopping a RHW-2 L1 starter on each end and dragging the RHW out. But just dragging the RHW from one end of the transition to the other doesn't work for whatever reason.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 101113 copy.jpg

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: XL2007 on February 25, 2023, 08:28:53 AMFound this one while using the FLEX-HT L0-L1 On-Slope Transition. I can kludge up a fix by plopping a RHW-2 L1 starter on each end and dragging the RHW out. But just dragging the RHW from one end of the transition to the other doesn't work for whatever reason.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 101113 copy.jpg

This is not a bug as we have decided to turn off native support for elevated versions of RHW 2. To use the elevated version of RHW 2 you must use starters.

For more information I suggest you read this post

https://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/4381-real-highway-rhw-development-and-support/?page=129&tab=comments#comment-1738534

LucarioBoricua

This is no bug, this is by design. In order to reduce the total amount of RUL2 code on the RealHighway, none the height transitions provide automatic overrides for RHW-2.

What you can do instead is look in the RHW starters menu, get the L1 RHW-2 starter piece, and you can place it right over the L0 / ground level RHW-2, perpendicular, such that you form an overpass between L1 RHW-2 and L0 RHW-2. This functionality applies to all OXO (orthogonal X orthogonal) crossings involving all widths and heights of RHW starters.

XL2007

Quote from: LucarioBoricua on February 25, 2023, 11:23:10 AMThis is no bug, this is by design. In order to reduce the total amount of RUL2 code on the RealHighway, none the height transitions provide automatic overrides for RHW-2.

What you can do instead is look in the RHW starters menu, get the L1 RHW-2 starter piece, and you can place it right over the L0 / ground level RHW-2, perpendicular, such that you form an overpass between L1 RHW-2 and L0 RHW-2. This functionality applies to all OXO (orthogonal X orthogonal) crossings involving all widths and heights of RHW starters.

Wow. That's interesting and good to know. At first, I thought it was a conflict with one of the millions of plugins I've collected over the years.

Lucky99

I would like to report another texture bug in EU mod Narrow Road 4 x One Way Road.

Tarkus

Quote from: Lucky99 on March 02, 2023, 01:16:32 PMI would like to report another texture bug in EU mod Narrow Road 4 x One Way Road.
Thanks for the report!  Fix attached below--drop this file anywhere that will load after the original NRD-4 EU textures file (within the Network Addon Mod\8 Texture and Drive Side Support\EU folder should work).  This fix is already packaged into my in-progress internal development build for NAM 47, so it will be oriented properly in the next release.

-Alex

eagle74

First of all, thanks so much for the ongoing efforts.  It is an awesome piece of work.  I did a full install of NAM 46 & am a bit overwhelmed.

A couple of questions:
1-What is the proper way of crossing over the NWM or RHW with the ERRW?  The docs say that a piece must be placed but there are no pieces for the various road options.
2-Same question for elevated rail from the mics menu.
3-Why would you favor using the ERRW vs the elevated rail(misc menu).  I have not decided which NW to use in my new region.
4-Is the elevated rail over road draggable or is it entirely puzzle based?

Tyberius06

Hi @eagle74 ,

To answere to your questions:

1. I believe E-RRW (which means the draggable L1 - 7.5 meters - and L2 - 15.5 meters - viaduct heavy rail from the rail menu) has crossing compatibility only OxO (ortho E-RRW crossing over ortho NWM or RHW networks, most probably only on ground L0 level. So crossing over or under elevated RHWs is not currently supported as far as I know). Again only the OxO crossings are supported, NONE of the diagonal crossing are supported as of yet.

2. El-Rail (misc menu) is Elevated Light Rail and it's default level is L2 - 15.5 meters. The L0 override network for El-Rail is the Ground Light Rail (GLR or Tram), but that a bit different. If I recall correctly El-Rail can cross over L0 NWM networks as OxO, it can cross over L1 Road, OWR and Avenue (I mean these maxis default networks) as OxO again, and it can cross over L0 and L1 RHW networks as OxO. I don't recall if any diagonal overcrossings are supported as of yet.

3. They are two completely different network and more importantly they operate on completely different network speed. The RRW/E-RRW is a faster network than the El-Rail. They can and supposed to be used side-by-side next to each other in cities. They have different automatas, they have kind of different purposes as well. Heavy rail (RRW) is like a cross country or over-state type of network, while El-Rail (and it's override, the GLR/Tram network) is more likely urban and suburban light rail. This concept is working quite well now in many US cities, but definitely one of the most common travel type within European cities.

3.b) In SC4 we have an even faster rail network, which is the monorail, but over the years it got its override network to represent more similarities with real life, which is the High Speed Rail (sadly the original HSR Project got abandoned more than a decade ago, but there are works currently to bring a new monorail override high speed rail network, which gonna be called R-HSR - Real High Speed Rail.). Since NAM v38 there is a new network in development (many parts of it have already been released), which is called Hybrid Railway. The concept here is to bring the regular heavy rail (RRW) and the monorail based HSR onto shared tracks. It's an existing concept, there are many RL example in UK, Western Europe, Italy and other countries to this shared high speed and regular rail set-up. This HRW network in simcity 4 based on monorail, but it is using FLEX pieces that you can plop next to each other. It can have direct connection to RRW tracks and in the future it will have direct connection to R-HSR tracks. You could connect it to G-HSR tracks, but there is no real visual transition it would look really odd, but it would be still functional. Connecting it with monorail is even wonkier and not recommended. Currently this HRW network has some orthogonal and digaonal support, but for example El-Rail and GLR can not cross it at all currently.

4. If I recall correctly the El-Rail over Road might be puzzle piece based only, however the El-Rail over RD-4 and Avenue is FLEX piece based. None of these networks has draggable versions and as far as I know it's not even planned. Probably in the long run, their puzzle pieces all get FLEX piece replacement and some additional crossing support, but it might be gonna happen rather later than sooner.
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

eagle74

Thanks.  That helps a lot. I have fiddled with the ERRW & El rail for a couple of days.  The El rail seems to cross everything I've tried with the NWM & RHW for OxO & pathing looks good.  The ERRW drags over the NWM fine for OxO, but has some issues with some of the RHW options.  It is finnicky & a good bit of clicking around is needed to get it work.

Hybrid rail sounds interesting but its probably above my pay grade for now.

Tyberius06

Quote from: eagle74 on March 11, 2023, 11:17:50 AMThe ERRW drags over the NWM fine for OxO, but has some issues with some of the RHW options.  It is finnicky & a good bit of clicking around is needed to get it work.

Oh I forgot to mention something. With E-RRW, if I recall correctly you can drag the rail over the other network or the other network under the rail, but you need to click with the rail tool to the overpass itself, because that activates some functionality.

The big difference is, that El-Rail is a maxis base network, while E-RRW is an override network of the default rail, which is L0. Maxis did not do viaduct rail, that always has been a NAM feature.
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

eagle74

Thanks.  That explains why El rail is a lot more stable over RHW than E-RRW.

dyoungyn

NAM Team,

How do I use this piece of Flex AVE 5 x 5 Curve?

Tarkus

Quote from: dyoungyn on April 09, 2023, 09:40:53 AMNAM Team,

How do I use this piece of Flex AVE 5 x 5 Curve?
It works like just about any other FLEX curve-type piece.  The setup you currently have doesn't really match the footprint of the curve, so you'll need to do some bulldozing to make room for it. 

It'll work best if you leave a bit of blank space between the two portions of Avenue you intend to connect with the curve, and then you can select and place the piece, using Home/End to rotate it into the proper position.  The "construction lot" will either be just to the inside or just to the outside of one end of the piece.

-Alex

CaptCity

I guess I'm still confused. I was also trying the 5x5 avenue 90 degree turn piece and can't get it to place. It just stays red. Even playing around with different spacing, it always gives the 'Unsuitable area to build network' message and remains red...

It does do this...

But that doesn't produce the desired curve...

If it's working for others, it must be me. I just can't figure out what it might be.

Thanks.

Later: Something interesting... I went ahead and re-installed NAM. This time I did not select any options that weren't the default, and the piece appeared as expected. Perhaps there is something that should not be selected that may conflict with the curve piece? Maybe I missed something in the documentation. My plan is to repeat installations to narrow down my usual options that may be causing this. 

Later Later: After going through my usual install options, it looks like choosing the Legacy item Auto Avenue Turn Lanes causes the new 5x5 piece to not function for me. Maybe this is known or perhaps some one could confirm this...?

dyoungyn

All,

SUCCESS, and thank you for the WONDERFUL recommendation of not installing the Auto Turning AVE Turning Lanes and again, SUCCESS and the 90 degree Flex Ave Curve DOES NOT turn red and rather normal to plop.  Thank you again so much. :bnn:  :bnn:  :bnn:  :bnn:  :bnn:  :bnn: