• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

This site seems awfully quiet these days

Started by eugenelavery, May 10, 2013, 07:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eugenelavery

Is it just me or is this site very quiet these days.  The sections I check regularly (MDs, BATing) all seem to have less activity than I remember.  I guess fewer posts may not mean fewer visitors, perhaps an admin could shed some light on that? I was hoping SC2013 might lead to a sizeable resurgence in SC4 but I have not seen much evidence of that yet.

vortext

Nope, it's not just you as I have a similar impression. The picture competition for instance takes weeks to complete a round. Though honestly I did contributed to the recent silence myself because of RL. .   :-[ 

April was quiet compared to March, with activity reduced to half. Or maybe it's better to say March was exceptional due to the release of SC2013 and NAM31, though there's still a steady inflow of new members. Also, keep in mind activity fluctuates with seasons, in general spring and summer tend to be slower than fall and winter (for those on the Northern hemisphere at least  ;)). In any case, you can find more site stats here.   

And just in case you're reading this and suddenly realize you belong to the silent majority; don't be a stranger and say hi! Or why not show what you've been up to?! There must be thousands of unknown cities out there!  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

eugenelavery

Glad to know I am not imagining things.  I try to post as much as I can and I visit the MDs every day, I was even doing an MD up until a month or so ago 'Zouerat Islamic Federation' - it is now in the inactive Best Sellers category.

I have always valued SC4D and the high level of quality BATs and MDs that have been produced because of this site, I am kind of sad that it seems to be slowing down so much.

Wiimeiser

I've been doing all my bug reports over at ST. :-[
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Haljackey

The NAM boards are still humming behind the scenes ;)

But yes this is a a post-SC13 SC4D. Things are a little quieter now but I'm sure activity might pick up as people lose interest in the game and come back to SC4.

eugenelavery

Does this site have plans to move into some SC2013 content, assuming comprehensive Modding of the game is possible?

Rayden

Quote from: Haljackey on May 10, 2013, 07:57:54 AM
But yes this is a a post-SC13 SC4D. Things are a little quieter now but I'm sure activity might pick up as people lose interest in the game and come back to SC4.
It only took me a week to loose that and regret I ever spent those 60 euros, I should just have donate that to SC4Dev. :/

vortext

Quote from: eugenelavery on May 10, 2013, 08:01:22 AM
Does this site have plans to move into some SC2013 content, assuming comprehensive Modding of the game is possible?

iirc this was discussed previously elsewhere on the site and the answer is no. Unlike simtropolis, which already features SC2013 mods, SC4D is dedicated to SC4 only, as the name kinda implies.  ;)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

catty

We do have an "Other Games" Board here

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=7.0

I've been posting in the Cities in Motion topic as vortext has said we are a SimCity 4 site and that will always be our main focus, but we are always happy to see what people find interesting and want to post on ... as long as it remains in the right area.

-catty
Global Moderator
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Swordmaster

Quote from: Haljackey on May 10, 2013, 07:57:54 AM
The NAM boards are still humming behind the scenes ;)

It's not a post SC13 SC4D, it's a post NAM 31 SC4D. It can't be underestimated how much of an impact the newest NAM (and its crash problems) have on these boards. I'm not suggesting this is solely the NAM team's responsibility, but a stable SC4 is a much desired commodity these days.

Quote from: eugenelavery on May 10, 2013, 08:01:22 AM

The site is still called SimCity4Devotion.

Cheers
Willy

Tarkus

SC2013 isn't cannibalizing our activity level.  I don't think there's that many SC4 diehards who are really taking up SC2013 as a long-term interest.  It's a new user base, by and large.  If anything, coupled with the initial NAM 31 in March, it helped bring on a surge.  It's probably slowed down about to where it was last year, in the meanwhile.

The NAM boards are a huge draw here, but a lot of our activity has been on supporting and maintaining a release, and not so much focused on developing new content (the only active development thread right now being El Rail-over-Avenue).  Tech support does draw people, but it doesn't create excitement like new content.  RL's also been a lot busier for some of us (myself especially, which is why Tarkusian Cities hasn't seen an update in 6 months).

There's no plans to delve further into SC2013 here on the site.  We have our one thread, and that's going to remain it. 

-Alex

mrbisonm

There surely is a little less activity on every SC4 site at the moment. I think it is mostly because half of the world is living Springtime right nowt. Here in Canada the snow is finally gone and it is time to seed the fileds, do some gardening and outside work....etc

This at least keeps me partially away from SC4 Sites for the moment. Concerning my MD, I will put it on hold until September soon.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Caller9

Still here!  I check in all the time. Unfortunately I'm not much of a contributor. Wish I could be but just don't know how to create all these works of art. I sure do fully support all those who do though!. Love the NAM team. The 2013 guys should have come to this site and talked to the people here about what to do with the new version. You all have been keeping this game fresh and alive for years with no help from them. Thanks to you all!

FrankU

I have been so busy making new content that I was not too active... as far as you could see, I mean.
Just wait, mrbisonm and me are up to something large.  :satisfied:

catty

Quote from: Caller9 on May 27, 2013, 08:46:45 PM
...Unfortunately I'm not much of a contributor. Wish I could be but just don't know how to create all these works of art. I sure do fully support all those who do though!. Love the NAM team....

But you are a contributor as is FrankU ... you are each on different sides of the SC4D coin - creator and supportor both needed and wanted, without you both and the rest of the people on this site this place would not be a community.

-catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

FrankU

Quote from: catty on May 28, 2013, 04:02:56 AM
Quote from: Caller9 on May 27, 2013, 08:46:45 PM
...Unfortunately I'm not much of a contributor. Wish I could be but just don't know how to create all these works of art. I sure do fully support all those who do though!. Love the NAM team....

But you are a contributor as is FrankU ... you are each on different sides of the SC4D coin - creator and supportor both needed and wanted, without you both and the rest of the people on this site this place would not be a community.

-catty

And you would even be a contributor if we didn't know it. As long as there are people that make use of the content that is created by others, the creators will know that they do it for a goal. It's nice to here the goal is there, obviously. But more important: there is a goal, and that is everyone who uses the work of all of us.

mrbisonm

Quote from: FrankU on May 28, 2013, 02:22:45 AM
I have been so busy making new content that I was not too active... as far as you could see, I mean.
Just wait, mrbisonm and me are up to something large:satisfied:

Well, it's started! Today.....

Go see at our Thread:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=14150.msg460604;topicseen#new

This should wake up some of our members..... ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)