• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NORO Trams and Textures

Started by noahclem, April 28, 2015, 11:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should default TIR and TOR textures be stone (like TOS) or asphalt (like the old versions)?

Stone pavers
45 (35.2%)
Asphalt
83 (64.8%)

Total Members Voted: 128

noahclem

I've been active with textures again over the last week or two and have felt pretty good about the headway I've made, though I've run into a number of issues that I'll need to figure out, mainly dealing with errors I'm getting in converting png images to mods (missing zooms and rotations or missing textures altogether) and with converting puzzle pieces to my standard that become difficult due to the same tile texture (and paths) being used by multiple puzzle pieces. I've been actively working to resolve these problems and will keep you guys updated as I learn answers to my stumbling blocks.

A recent picture of puzzle pieces still needing to be done, in progress, or recently finished, including some visible problems mentioned above:

And of rotations that work and those that don't:

Here's a piece I did most of the work on a long time ago but never added to my WIP mod. I decided to get rid of the sharper curves from the original piece as I couldn't find any RL tram networks with similarly tight minimum turning radii and I realized how rare grand unions in tram networks are, though I also made textures with the same rail turning possibilities as the original and textures for a larger puzzle piece with the same functionality. My choice to align the 45 degree turns (135 degree angle) caused major problems with shared textures as is visible above.

This one is still WIP, and while it also is affected by shared tiles (reason for location of left-to-right crosswalks), it will retain the same functionality as the original piece. I through in a slip lane though, which I don't mind changing if people think a more conventional junction would be better. More complicated junctions like that in a dense environment are quite rare/difficult (as opposed to RHW in more spacious environs) and I thought this could add a bit of character. I don't have a strong opinion on it though ;)

Was happy to add this little transition to the already-created TOR4-to-TIA transition:

I've done a tiny bit of work on the NWM textures too. An avenue-to-RD6 transition:

I thought their outer curbs were in the same place but are a couple pixels off--IIRC, that's because I wanted to leave space to accommodate a very small median for an eventual variant of this mod that might be useful to Euro users not so familiar with 6 lanes of road with no median. Some might consider the usefulness of that dubious, as parallel OWR3s can accomplish something quite similar, though I have to say the tiny bit of experimenting I did with a narrow median for RD6 did look quite nice and, particularly with my narrower OWR3, quite different than parallel OWR3s. Having an identically-aligned outer curb would allow for more copy-paste intersection textures but I would still need to add medians for any avenue one. I also think that the current RD6 texture is aligned with the RD4+bike lane+parallel parking textures--a style that I have some interest in, as an option at least.

Speaking of the 3-lane-per-direction-of-traffic networks, here's the new OWR3-RD6 transition:

And an attempt at TLA7--never been sure what to do with this network as keeping a(n almost) consistent lane width for NWM+Ave while also keeping the lane border of the 3-tile NWMs and 3-tile RHWs on the tile border wasn't possible. My other idea, which conserved the lane width numbers, was for 3-and-2-halves lanes in the center tile for TLAs and use of 2xhalf OWR5s on the outside--looks nice but there's 2 extra lanes ;)

TLA7:

As opposed to the planned AVE6 network:

I've also been working on a few lot textures for paths crossing RRW, at Arthur's request. Only the one with the diverging tracks is to replace an existing texture that I'm aware of, but I messed up on the first try, I assume by forgetting things need to be done differently with lot textures than with transit textures. Hopefully it ends up being useful at some point though  ::)

Happy to hear your thoughts! Thanks again for all the earlier feedback :)

Simcoug

The x-ing RRW paths are stupendous!   :thumbsup:

Gugu3

Excellent job Noah!it's great to know that so many talented people are out there working to improve the game!
Excellent textures. I like that slip lane :thumbsup:

art128

Great textures... I can already have some use for the RRW one...... :) :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Ernestmaxis

This project is looking really brilliant what a great texture!

tobsen

Wow...these Textures look really awesome, espacially those on the previous Site...i'd love to use them in my Cities. :-)
Are you going/planning to release them? Maybe in the next NAM?

Cheers

Tobsen

noahclem

Wow, hadn't realized it's been this long since I updated here! I've been busy most of the time lately but have been getting work done here and there. I've come to the conclusion that making these can have a relaxing effect on me, like crosswords or sudoku are for some people, so I tend to progress slowly unless I'm just tired of them ;)

The first area I've been working on was extending the tram-in-road and tram-on-road functionality, including curves, diagonals, and intersections.

Vortext has long been planning to make the other textures I've been working on lately, which are the SAM-based tram-on-street and other related textures like SAMs and a stone OWR1 variant that I think would be a good option to have. Ultimately, the most important motivation for me doing these is that I enjoy using them, and the impetus for this set has been working on the old center of Avalonia/Siilijoki. The textures are borrowed from Vortext's lot textures, with additions from CP's lot/sidewalk textures, and my rails based on Willy's RRW, all adapted to a transit network.

Here's most of the TOS & SAM, with a few TIR:

One of the tricky decisions has been how to handle crosswalks and how to differentiate between regular tram (which has curbs in my standard versions though other options will be simultaneously available for simple setups) and tram-on-street. I've been using these purplish stones from CP for crosswalks for now and aligning them with the edge of tiles to allow for a transition to any type of tram pavement. I've adjusted the depth shading at crosswalk areas to give the illusion of a flat surface there. Am open to ideas in this area.

Originally I planned lane shading similar to what other SC4 networks have but I didn't like the look and eventually dropped it

Some in-game expamples:

click

Barrier stops visible in this zoom:

But not this one. Willy noticed a problem with too many base textures but after fixing the same problem still occurred for me.
click

Thanks for the feedback as always!

Welcome tobsen, and yes, I'm planning to release, but not for either of the two NAMs that have been released since your post :D  Plenty of work still remains but I make alpha copies available on request and plan a public beta before release as well :)

Hopefully I'll be back again a little sooner next time  ::)

Simcoug

The tracks on vortext's cobblestones looks amazing!   :bnn:
:popcorn:

romualdillo

I'm feeling really really enthusiastic with that!!!  :bnn: :bnn:

Gugu3

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

c.p.

I agree with Simcoug, the rails and cobblestones look great :thumbsup:

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

vester

The cobble stone textures and all looks great !!!......

but not sure I want to stand and wait for a tram between the road and the tram tracks......

The people in your pictures stand way over on the 'yellow line'

(if the train speed was just a bit to high, I think I would clink on to the rail in that picture :( )

.... and yes I know we talked about.....

.... and shine on You Crazy Diamond......

mgb204

Love your GLR, the cobblestone textures are just fantastic.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: vester on January 08, 2016, 03:11:59 PM
but not sure I want to stand and wait for a tram between the road and the tram tracks......

That's what the railings are for, so you can hold on tight :D.

kbieniu7

Quote from: mgb204 on January 08, 2016, 05:35:44 PM
Love your GLR, the cobblestone textures are just fantastic.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: vester on January 08, 2016, 03:11:59 PM

That's what the railings are for, so you can hold on tight :D.

Yeah, I wanted to mention the same :D I think, in such situation, a waiting place should be simply on the sidewalk. Crossing one lane to board the tram should not be that problem :P
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

mgb204

The issue is really that there is so little space to work with between the tram lines. I still think personally the platform should generally be in the middle though. That's by far and away the most typical type of tram stop I'm used too.

vortext

It looks really great Noah, though frankly I always imagined TiR/ToR would tie into the cobble stone roads. Given you're much more prolific with this project maybe I should send you some files.  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

mattb325

These are looking quite amazing  &apls. I really like the transitions between the cobblestone textures

manga rivotra

I love your new textures, it'll be a great improvement for the game ! &apls &apls &apls