• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Simmer's Lotting Lab.

Started by Simmer2, December 11, 2015, 07:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

Interesting! We don't have those over here; they use skates for that.

I wonder how those spring retarders work. Are they purely mechanical? Or some sort of hydraulics/pneumatics? The retarders on the hump side of the yard over here are all pneumatic (pic).

As for the lot, do all the sorted cars in North American yards string together so well? Over here (that's here), they don't always bump into one another. Some get stranded a few feet from the others, some even halfway through the yard; in that case a shunting engine needs to fetch them and string them all together (one of the most annoying jobs really).

Ideally, I'd also leave some more space between the end retarders and the switches. The right hand side of the yard is perfect; the left hand side seems to have too little space there. Engines need to fit in between the first cars and the switches.

Again, just my point of view. Great work :thumbsup:  We're lucky to have you working on this!

Cheers
Willy

Simcoug

Your textures are amazing!!!   &apls &apls

Simmer2

Thank you omgitskosc ,Gugu3, Swordmaster and Simcoug :)

Willy.
I'm lucky to have a son that works for CN rail and has worked the hump for 3 years before he made engineer  :)
I have been picking his brains regarding any and all details regarding this project and he verified that indeed the end retarders are just spring loaded (no hydraulic/electric/pneumatic system in those retarders). Basically they are rail sections that through sheer force, from very strong springs, push against the regular rails and act as "catchers".

He also told me that when they grab the cars with the locomotives, they have to wear hearing protection due to the massive screeching sound coming from those retarders as the train pulls away.

As far as the left side of the end hump I might redo those retarders and place them further in. Nice catch  :thumbsup:
Oh and I'm still not done with cars placement  ;D

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Simmer2

Willy.
I just took a good look at that google map and said wow, then I zoomed out and my jaw dropped! That is one massive railyard complex.
This is the one my son worked at https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8157844,-79.5124745,462m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
I could re-create the whole thing but it would probably take half of a large game tile  :D

Simmer2/Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Simmer2

Alright, its time for another update.
Keep in mind that not all details are final yet. I have more train cars to corral  :D And also the lot in on a naked setting for testing purpose.

So, I redid the spring loaded retarders textures and now the really look like this.

Here is a closeup box.

Here is the left side..

More details.

Brand new custom texture for the base.

Overview1

Overview2

Main pic

Indiana Joe

Much more detailed  &apls

Everything you do is amazing Nick; thought you should know  :D  :thumbsup:

compdude787

Wow, great work so far!! It's really shaping up to be a nice railyard!
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Swordmaster

Very nice &apls

Quote from: Simmer2 on February 12, 2016, 07:49:15 AMWilly.
I just took a good look at that google map and said wow, then I zoomed out and my jaw dropped! That is one massive railyard complex.
This is the one my son worked at https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8157844,-79.5124745,462m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
I could re-create the whole thing but it would probably take half of a large game tile  :D

Simmer2/Nick

When you mentioned CN in TO, I already assumed Macmillan. It think it's only marginally smaller than ours. Interesting comparison is that both yards are double humps, although the southern one in Macmillan seems to have been reduced in size in favor of extra long through-tracks.

If you want to recreate the thing, though, my estimate is closer to an entire large quad for that in length ;D

Cheers
Willy

Simmer2

Thank you Indiana Joe, compdude787 and Swordmaster

Ah yes Willy, you guessed it right, it is the MacMillan yard or commonly known as Mac yard.

Regarding the Hump Yard, good news its all done!!  ()stsfd()
I went a step further and modded section 2 as a freight yard therefore you will now see trains leaving the yard exactly how it should be.
I'm now in the process of making a comprehensive Read Me PDF file with pictures so as to make the process of building the yard fairly easy.

Choo-choo.

Simmer2/Nick

Simmer2

Well, here is the last update before I upload the lot/s. I added a few mast type light poles
I placed the hump yard in a full plugins and here are the results after putting it in an industrial setting.
You can see the trains leaving and the freight truck arriving. It works just fine.

Swordmaster

Looks great in a full setting. &apls I hope your manual will include the instruction that people should place a second yard on the other side, before the hump.

Cheers
Willy

noahclem

Great to see your work on these yards continue--really looking outstanding  :thumbsup:

Themistokles

The lot looks very nice and it fits beautifully with its surrounding. &apls Also I like your way of building industrial areas.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

c.p.

It's looking fantastic, especially with the industrial area around it &apls

FrankU

Gugu3

Simcoug

beautiful!  And it fits very well in that atmosphere  :thumbsup:

Simmer2

Thank you Swordmaster, noahclem, Themistokles, c.p., FrankU, Gugu3 and Simcoug.

I just got confirmation that my PDF tutorial file is easy to follow therefore, barring any unforeseeable events, tonight (my TZ) is the launch date.

Cheers.
Simmer2, Nick

compdude787

Wow, so awesome looking!

Quote from: Swordmaster on February 17, 2016, 07:28:14 AM
I hope your manual will include the instruction that people should place a second yard on the other side, before the hump.

Just wondering, why? Is that generally a thing in real life?
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Swordmaster

Quote from: compdude787 on February 18, 2016, 05:07:59 PMJust wondering, why? Is that generally a thing in real life?

Generally, yes. In the odd case that there's no yard (usually the case with very small hump yards), there's a dead-end track or two from where the cars are pushed across the hump.

Cheers
Willy